Hurricane Sandy

25 million is a low estimate of damages to equipment at the shops, 67 loco's, 227 rail cars damaged.

Thanks for giving us an update on the railroads. With all that TV coverage, its only been focused on homes, so you don't have any idea how the rail operations are affected.

yea its bad. alot of people are wondering why the media or njt is not putting this out there. if you goto nj transit on facebook they have pics of the destruction.

Rail Cars Wash Up on NJ Turnpike After Storm Surge

About two dozen rail cars washed onto the New Jersey Turnpike as a result of the powerful storm surge from Sandy, authorities say.

The highway was closed Monday Carteret and Newark in anticipation of flooding and remains closed Tuesday.

New Jersey Department of Transportation spokesman Joe Dee told NBC 4 New York Sandy's force pushed several tanker cars onto one of the busiest roadways in America. The wheel sets to the cars stayed on the tracks, which run parallel to the turnpike.

While many different chemicals are shipped on those tracks, one of the biggest commodities is ethanol used to mix with gasoline. It was not clear what, if anything, was in those tanks.

Dee said workers are trying to remove the tanks.

The turnpike and the rail tracks abut a marsh area connected to New York harbor, which experienced historic storm surges and a record-setting 32.5-foot wave during Sandy.

Does anyony have any photos??

The entire Jersey shoreline is devastated. Between the 70+mph winds and the tidal surge we got clobbered. 9 Miles inland, I lost power for 40+ hours and was buried under leaves and branches. Fortunately the 100 year old Oak trees surrounding the neighborhood pretty much stayed in place. Another lucky break was that the heavy rains stayed to the south. Lot of places close by fared worse. Gas and fresh food are still real scarce. Cleanup is going to take a while.

i have partial power. 3 outlets and my ceiling lights. I just ghetto rigged our water heater in the basement with a 3 to 1 adapter and plugged it into someone else's outlet that worked. And we ran extension cords for tv. LOL Its weird how this building is wired.

i have partial power. 3 outlets and my ceiling lights. I just ghetto rigged our water heater in the basement with a 3 to 1 adapter and plugged it into someone else's outlet that worked. And we ran extension cords for tv. LOL Its weird how this building is wired.

At least you have something. Once the prices return to normal, I'm buying a generator. All the tools we take for granted failed. Internet, land line phones, electric. Cell phones were sporadic, ranging from 3 bars 3G to no service.

Fortunately, I had a good supply of batteries, both AA and D; a good battery radio, water and gas service....and matches. I was able to light the stove top burners with a match, so we had tea and instant coffee, as well as hot food.

Those living in well/septic and no gas service were worse off.

Hi there,
all my best wishes to those affected by the storm in anyway from Germany..followed the things on CNN...

Kind Regards,
Chris

Locally, some are without power. Its not terrible where I am, but I have seen some horrible sights just a few towns over. My prayers go out to my neighbors, and fellow model railroad enthusiasts as well.

Locally, some are without power. Its not terrible where I am, but I have seen some horrible sights just a few towns over. My prayers go out to my neighbors, and fellow model railroad enthusiasts as well.

To add insult to injury, the areas affected by Sandy, were hit with a Nor'easter, on Wednesday, that dumped up to a foot of wet snow on parts of Central NJ. Many of us lost power again:mad:.

Back