How prototypical is your layout?

How prototypical is your layout?

• Absolutely 100% accurate.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Selective compression, but otherwise an exact "model" of a railroad.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • "Selectively freelanced", somewhat follows a prototype road.

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • Completely freelanced.

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
I havnt actually started to model completely to prototype yet, but i will be starting soon with an area in La Mirada CA, i also have plans to model the Modesto & Empire Traction Company located in Modesto, CA in the future. Both will be modeled on modules and be selectively compressed based on the real locations of tracks, buildings, and roads.

I've never been to the USA. So my layout is freelanced. I use the information I can get from books, magazines and internet.
I try to operate my layout with prototype style.

Wolfgang

My layout as well as Eric's(the disabled child we're working with--and his parents) both comprise a protolanced RR based on some aspects of the CNCP abandonment/closures of some lines in SK. Because of certain issues--namely space and Eric's challenges one does the freelance thing more---:D:D

My Lobuc Valley RR is imaginary but the theme is based on the New Haven RR in the mid '50s to early '60s. LVRR is a short line but of no specific location in Southern New England. One of my loves is first generation diesel power like the NH ran and my LV roster includes some of the NH examples but painted and lettered for my road. I also like diesels of that era and a little later that the NH never had like RSD4/5, SD9, etc and doing them up in my LV colors and markings allows me to run them right along with the more "correct" NH equipment. Off line motive power is limited to close by roads like NYC, B&M, and the short lines that could have interchanged with the NH.

Industries and structures are not even close to any exact prototype but generally represent what was in the area during the time frame I model. As an example; there will never be oil wells or huge coal mines on the layout, however industries that need to be served by tank cars and hoppers of coal are part of the plan. A dairy farm - yes. A cattle ranch - no.

All I want is to have fun and keep it reasonably believeable and so sometimes close enough is good enough.

Selective Compression ?

Well, that's the closest I would classify the layout.:p

The segment from Bonaventure to St-Lambert is 100% accurate but compressed.
Chambly is 100% accurate for the actual station which is not called Chambly.
I just changed the name because it's my layout :D

Hello everyone!!

When the time comes, I'm hoping to build a "close" rendition of the Rock Island between Joliet, IL. starting at roughly MP38 and operate to MP46, which includes by childhood hometown of Rockdale. We'll just have to wait & see. I have personal issues that have to be finished before I can expend any major $$$ to do this.

But, while waiting for that time to come, I am continuing to add to my locomotive & car fleet. When it comes to locomotives, if the Rock Island didn't have one, then neither will I. What I do have though is at least within "the parameters" i.e. builder/road number/paint scheme. Now, most of us, if not all of us, knew the Rock Island's locomotive fleet, especially toward the end, was a disaster area of broken down units that were dirty, scummy, oil bathed derelicts. Some of my fleet will represent this. But for now, my current fleet is clean.

Also, I plan on operating the layout in 3 time periods, 1970 to shutdown, the 2months the EJ&E ran it and by today's operations(CSX & IAIS).

I do have a friend here in the Chicago suburbs who has a layout that represents the Rock Island & several other roads around Chicago. His layout is literally "crammed" into his basement. You have to crawl on the floor to get to operating areas. But, his layout starts at LaSalle Street Station and goes all the way to Silvis, IL. All towns in between those 2 points are represented about every 6 to 8 feet. It is a multi level layout and it is almost totally devoid of scenery. Matter of fact, Blue Island yard & Kelly(Silvis) yard sit right next to each other, even though in real life, they're about 200 miles apart.

Well, enough of me rambling on, my rivet counting ends at if you're going to model a specific railroad, at least use the proper types of locomotives & equipment(road numbers & paint schemes).

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Regards,

Well saying I don't have a "layout" but I do have a "Railroad" or whatever you want to call it, I can't say too much. But I can comment on how prototypical it will be.

The trains will PROBABLY run on tracks.

Mine uses real railways, a time and place, but otherwise, completely my own. I have taken elements of things I have seen from Texas to Mississippi to put together what I want.

this summer is when im putting plans into actions modeling bn,bnsf,sf,amtrack and rio grande i figure at some point they were all in colorado so its close enough for me even with a mash up of equipment from all diffrnt times at least i think they are

I've been through this thread 4x trying to figure out what is meant by prototypical. My best summation is that either it is passenger train oriented, freight train oriented, coal train oriented, short line/local, or yard related. In order to be prototypically correct, in most cases, you would have to have 5 acres under roof.

Having been in the hobby, or surrounded by it , for over 50 years, I've seen what has been termed as prototypical layouts of industrial switching plans to kill for. But I've also seen some pretty boring "prototypical" mainline layouts. It's all in the operation. That's where the secret of the term lies. Prototypical, in my opinion is operational. Selective compression is a magazine's term for nothingness. There are VERY few prototypical layouts due to space constraints. Selective compression? Hogwash!!!

My layout, first of all, is able to morph. By changing modules, I change eras. Secondly, it is probable. There are six roads that meet, merge, and interchange. There is one large main yard and two small sorting yards. The four mains are shared by the six roads. All of these roads at one time worked my home area. They did intersect and had interchanges between them. However. there was no area where all met, except on my layout.

The main yard is the focus of the layout. While other consists run around the layout the yards dominate the action. As well they should. Passenger trains, fast freights, locals, switching,... I planned to have it all and seemingly coming real close. It has been 12 years in building and no end in site. Modules have been made obsolete and torn apart only to be replaced by two more. The yard has been rebuilt three times. repair shops and a round house with extra stables added. The 90' turntable moved to a smaller yard and replaced by a 130-footer..... Constantly changing and morphing. Maybe, before I die, it might get finished....I doubt that it will be prototypical to anything but my whims.

Prototypical? No such thing.

Bob

Bob, there is only one railroad that I know of that could be modelled 100% prototypically, that is the Huntsville and Lake of Bays Transportation Company that used to run the "Portage Railway" in Ontario. The world's smallest commercial railway.

With a total track length of 1 1/8 miles, you might be able to do it.

In N scale, the mainline would be 37.125 feet.
In HO scale, the mainline would be 68.275 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm asking because the closer I get to building my benchwork, the more and more "freelanced" changes are occuring to my locomotive and rolling stock fleet.

I started with a true to life Guilford roster, SD26 & 45, GP 7, 35, 38, and 40. Then I had to have an SD30:) Well, what else would you have it lettered on a modern New England layout?:p
So now I find my Guilford Rail System "bought" the bankrupt Bangor and Aroostook in 2000, and ol Tim Mellon sprung for a dozen SD40-2s of varying NS heritage after the 20 CN GP40-2Ws arrived:rolleyes: I love the SD7/9, so now I have one sublettered B&M. Where does it end!
I seem to be getting gurther and further from the idea of a "true to life" HO GRS layout. But the thing that got the "artistic license" in gear was the whole layout is gonna be a ficticious location anyway:eek:

So, with selective compression and all the other compromises one must make to model a portion of a rail road in HO scale, where does one draw the line?

Model railroading is all about coming up with an Idea that you like. Modeling a whatever railroad you like.
Me personally, am an SP fan. I first was considering Modeling SPSF, as if they actually merged. I'm now not going to do that because I can't stand the Idea of losing Grey and Scarlet. So now I am going to Model SP Merging with Rio Grand (and but having a controlling part in the merger). and therefore came up with Speed Lettering. I am going to have SP buy UP in 2000.
I am also planning on painting two SD90Macs, 1 AC4400CW, 2 SD70MACs and hope fully eventually get a trio of SD70ACE's and one C45ACE's.
So I say just model as you see fit.

I've gone back and forth, back and forth with doing something realistic or freelanced or both.. Welp I'm going with both! I've had ideas and stuff in my head for about 5 or 6 years and now I finally think I have a "base" for what I think will make me the happiest. I like local modelling, so that means CSX/WE/NS/OHCR (Some Amtrak). Time period is looking to be the mid to late 1990s through early 2000's. That won't be very hard at all to switch era's depending on my mood. Basically just the locomotives (mostly the WE). I want all of my equipment to be time period correct with a semi-fictional place setting in Southeastern Ohio. With that said, I can start building my fleet until I have a layout :D

like NW drummer i have gone back and forth about what my layout will consist of. for about the same amount of time. while im still a few years away i am pretty sure it will consist of elements of both real world and fictional operations. the real will be CSXT & NS, and the fictional will be my own made up company GTPX which will be the feeder operation to the Class1. at this point i am only sure of the following industries i want to have: produce (reefers) concrete (covered and opened top hoppers) and paper (boxcars, lots of boxcars). depending on how much space i wind up with i may include a recycling operation and corn syrup processing. i am also planning on a small elevated rapid or commuter rail operation. i too am planning on 1990s - 2000s and am dead set on having my equipment time period accurate. i have been building up my fleet for a couple of years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prototype = The real thing, operational or used on a regular basis. Scale is 1:1.

I'm sure that parts of my previous layout existed somewhere in the real world. I just can't put my finger on where that place is.
Operationally, in my grandson's mind, a UP Big Boy is just fine pulling a string of modern TOFCs and an SD70Ace can stop under a water tower anytime it wants to.

Ptototypical?

My layout is a slightly modified Atlas Central Midland track plan. I choose to operate only Wheeling and Lake Erie motive power since the W&LE operates right thru Medina, Ohio where we live and its easy to see there equipment up close and personal. Some of my rolling stock is W&LE both modern and early seventies. So basically its what I enjoy. I also operate my W&LE equipment on my two Free-Mo modules which also doesn't reflect the protoype location.
Thanks
Wayne

Back