How many running at a time

brubakes

How many trains do you normally have running on your layout at one time? As I start designing my new layout I know I want to have at least 3, but probably 4 at one time.

I rarely have more than three. One mainline freight, one switcher working the yard, and a local serving the industrial spurs. When I want to complicate my life, I also run a passenger train so I have to make sure the local and through freights get in the hole before the passenger train comes through. I've found that's about as much as one person can handle without going psychotic. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it really depends on the layout? On Joe Fugate's Siskiyou Line, we'll have two through trains, two locals and a yard job all going simultaneously at times - possibly even more through jobs than that.

On my home layout... well, I'm the only person running it right now, and I'm not up to operations yet.

If I am by myself and want to railfan, I can run 2 trains on one mainline and 2 on another without too much of a problem (same directions), but these are long mainlines. With a Op session going, 8 operators/trains are ideal and I have had as many as 12 running in all directions (a bit toooo many);) .

On this new layout I'm building I can run 4 long trains at the same time.
The yard will have about 8 tracks for storing engines & rolling stock & will also serve as a staging yard. So, w/1 person helping out I could probably run 5 or 6 trains on 4 mainlines.

Larry

My layout has four loops + the mainline. Two loops use short stretches of the mainline,the other two cross the mainline. So I can run 4 trains and just sit back and watch, or run three and run a switcher job.....or I can run the loops plus a mainline train (5 trains), but then I have to pay close attention to control the meets. The way I normally operate is something I call shuffle. The train on loop 1 pulls onto the mainline and heads for loop 2, train 2 heads for loop 3, train 3 heads for loop 4 and train 4 heads for loop 1.

I have a small folded loop on which I can run a single train and forget about it. With two operators running the passing sidings, we could run a loco each for more realism, but otherwise, just the one if I forget about it. Then, I can run yardwork or industrial switching. Or, I can run one train on the main while another goes round and round at a sensible speed so that I can manually switch and move along the main out of its way. Three trains is just asking for trouble.

My 10 x 11 layout will have 6-8 in a op session if you count mu's as 2. But my switching layout will have 1-2 max.

One thing I should have added in my above post...VERY CAREFULLY and please do not break my concentration:eek: :D :D .

Personally, my mind has trouble concentrating on more then one train, UNLESS I just set them to run...

reasoning

I rarely have more than three. One mainline freight, one switcher working the yard, and a local serving the industrial spurs. When I want to complicate my life, I also run a passenger train so I have to make sure the local and through freights get in the hole before the passenger train comes through. I've found that's about as much as one person can handle without going psychotic. :)

Well that explains a couple of our yardmasters at work..lol

I run 3 to 5, I think your control board {considering you have one} or computer program would judge alot of this also.
I think its up to a variety of circumstances. Your layout, your available power, your layouts scheme, and your ability of operation.

While designing my new layout I plan for two mainlines that will run one train each that can just be turned on and they can run without risk of running into one another. I also plan to have another smaller loop setup where I can "set it and forget it" train. This will more then likely be the line running through the "city" part of the layout. 4th will be either a switcher area or another small loop. At least that is the plan for now, which tends to change almost daily. While designing my new layout I plan for two mainlines that will run one train each that can just be turned on and they can run without risk of running into one another. I also plan to have another smaller loop setup where I can "set it and forget it" train. This will more then likely be the line running through the "city" part of the layout. 4th will be either a switcher area or another small loop. At least that is the plan for now, which tends to change almost daily.

How many trains do you normally have running on your layout at one time?
One per road operator. Yard goats don't count. If fewer than four operators one per operator plus one. The plus one is a priority freight that everyone else has to get out of the way of.

One per road operator. Yard goats don't count. If fewer than four operators one per operator plus one. The plus one is a priority freight that everyone else has to get out of the way of.

Gandy
Can I print that and give it to my Trainmaster....RFLAO

Back