How Many Hours

Most weeks I spend a couple of hours working on the layout. Some weeks I don't touch it, others I put in considerably more time. It depends on how far I can take an idea until I need to ponder my next move. I went too fast on the last one and didn't like where it headed. I'm willing to take my time this time to get it 'right'.

this past winter I would say about 15hrs a week easy Mostly on weekends but also spent a few hours after work. With spring around I have been spending more time working around the house,on my Caddy and Mack.This has been a slow year for side jobs so I have been enjoying life this year

Trent

C'mon Larry... you first!

(I won't tell the wife) :D

How about on an average; I work about 6 days a week & 6 hrs. a day & usually take sundays off, but, not always. This has been going on since I quit Walmart Aug.14th 2007.:)

Depends. When painting or getting the hands muddy in HydroCal, or laying plaster cloth, one has to stop and let things dry for a bit.

Working on engines or cars, I will work until I run out of parts. Or I fall of my stool by nodding off.

This past weekend I had 10 guys at the house building a layout for a nursing home. We took a break for lunch and totaled 77 man hours. I'll probably put in another 10 this week trying to put together the yard before all return next Saturday. It has to be done before we get too carried away laying track and switches.

I always have a plan and a point I wish to reach before hanging it up for the session. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I run into a glitch. But, when building the modules, I spend a couple of hours a day.....if I'm not fishing.

Another good thing about my situation is that the better half is my crafter and scenic person. We usually spend a couple of hours on the layout, when under construction, each evening after supper. And, yes, I help with the dishes. It is good bonding time and we both enjoy the work.

I really think she enjoys the trains more than I do. At least the building part.

Bob

I spend roughly 20 hours a week working on mine. To be honest tho, a good part of that time is simply spent watching trains go by instead of actually working. It's just too easy to fire up the computer and route a few trains around the layout. Then I get distracted by all the flashing lights and the clickety clack and I forget to do what I had originally intended, hehe.

I will usually be in the depot 4-6 hours most every day that hasn't been eat up with some of those "gotta-do's". It is not unusual for me to work on the layout for 8 hours or more, like it will be today. Don't get me wrong, not all is hands-on or represents work accomplished: there are hours/days used for constructive meditation (Shhhhh!procrastination:eek:) where wild ideas and "second thoughts" crash about in the mind and nothing gets done.:rolleyes::D

Since I got back into it again I tried to spend an hour or two each evening doing something constructive. At first that was simple enough and I did things like cleaning track and repairing any problem areas. Then it was on to test running each loco and cleaning / tuning as required. An hour here and an hour there got the job done in a week or so. Next came checking all the rolling stock; wheel cleaning, truck movement, coupler height and swing. The hour a day soon turned into all evening and all weekend now that trains could be run and enjoyed. Now I'm back to speed so to speak and undecs are being run through the paint shop and bulldings are coming out of their kit boxes. At this point I put 20 to 24 hours a week into the railroad one way or another.

Some of the things I have discovered when you put the trains back in service after more than 20 years: 1st) Walthers Goo does not "Fix It Forever" - more like around 25 years. 2nd) Lichen used as tree foliage will end up as ground cover and somehow accumulate in only the turnouts. 3rd) As soon as you buy something you thought you had plenty of but couldn't find they magically turn up again. 4th) Of all the locomotives the Atlas / Kato units required almost no time to put back into service. 5th) The switch machine that is hardest to access will be the one to give you the most trouble. ;)

1 hour or 24 hours. Building, running, repairing, every minute is enjoyable!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about "on average":
Longest single session ever: 19 hours straight (including eating while I worked) (6am to 1am next morning).
Shortest session ever: walked in the door of the train room and the cell phone rang calling me out of town on a "Mr. Fixit" business trip.

Back