how die hard are you for modeling?

I wonder if regular superglue is sanitary. I have a friend that is an ER nurse and he said they have some kind of glue like superglue they use to quickseal some wounds. I wonder if its the same stuff?

is regular superglue sanitary who knows but it apparently hasnt killed any of us yet so you shouldnt have to worry
I already answered this in post 9.

the stuff they use for medical and military has a antibacterial in it.
Yup.
However, your friend is correct. The ER super glue is a different chemical composition, though it operates on the same principle.

It is the same composition, it just has a dab of anit-bacterial spreading agent in it.

You can find a fairly detailed treatise on the history of cyanoacrylate and it's medical use here. The stuff we're building models with is a bit different than what's used to heal wounds, but, as pointed out in the article, unless your using it on a really bad wound, it should still work to seal up an X-acto slice.

Speaking of which, I've definitely gone right back to modeling after injuring myself - a cut in the index finger being most common. One that I didn't get back to immediate work after was picking up a soldering iron by the wrong end....:eek:

One that I didn't get back to immediate work after was picking up a soldering iron by the wrong end....:eek:

thats were i am different from the rest of the modelers soldering irons dont burn me as fast. i actually check to see if the iron is up to temp by grabbing the tip. i can tell exactly when it is at the temp i want. keep in mind i dont hold on i just tap and go. however there was one time i got the webing between my index and thumb cause i picked it up like a pencil OOOOOOPPPPPSS. havent done that since but i have droped the iron on my bare thigh before (i work on the stuff before i get dressed somedays). but other then that irons dont bother me i have been burnt everywhere you just get used to it plus thick skin from being a mechanic helps.

I just dropped my soldering iron in my lap... burned a hole in my shorts WAYY to close for comfort... so now I have a burn on each of my inner thighs.. fun fun... BUT my 3985 will be DCC equipped in a few minutes...

I was swapping hands and bobbled the iron.

**Warning - Kind of Graphic**

I was doing some kit-bashing yesterday. While in the process of cutting off a corner piece of part of a building, I looked at where my hand was holding on to the building. I then looked at what direction I was cutting. And at that very instant I thought in my head "Boy, I should really move my hand before I cut it." It was at that moment that the knife slipped and lodged itself into the base of my index finger on my left hand. Blood immediately went squirting everywhere, so doing what I normally do when I cut myself, I squeezed the wound and went running for the sink.

Fortunately my Fiance was in the room, and went running for the first aid kit. Meanwhile, I let off the pressure to clean out the gash...bad idea, more blood spray. The pressure went back on. I decided that a simple band-aid wouldn't do much good until a clot could take hold, so I got a paper towel and held the slice closed for about a half hour until it seemed like a good idea to put something on it.

After that time the wound had closed a bit, so I managed to get a Band-aid and some tape put on it, but I must have jarred it while do so, because the fountain started again. For the next hour I help my hand above my head to reduce the amount of blood circulating in that area. And it did the job, because I was able to remove my hand and not worry about any more bleeding. Back to modeling I went.

Later that night I went out to water the lawn and feed the Koi. It was when I went to turn on the hose is when I noticed blood all over the fence...uh oh, here we go again. The third round wasn't so bad, just more inhibiting than anything. I knew I couldn't do much with my hand, or I might risk opening the wound again, so I called it a night as far as projects go.

This morning I was in shower, opening a flip top bottle of shampoo, when I accidentally used that finger, and over extended the incision. That really hurt! Now I am very aware of the finger, and am trying to do as little with it as I can. I'm too stubborn to go get stitches, there is nothing gauze and medical tape can't fix!

Ah, what we do for the love of our hobbies.

The ones to really be careful with are those #!*% fine-toothed circular saw blades used with a Dremel tool. They have about 100-teeth per inch.

I split my left idex finger tip open, years ago, with one. Down to the bone! All it takes is an instant. I hated that Dremel. It had a on/off switch in a location that needed the second hand to turn the thing off. When you're gushing blood that's a very poor option.

Since then I ALWAYS use a foot pedal swich to turn Dremels on and off - regardless of which attachment is in use.

So... who would have thought that "playing with trains" could be so dangerous!? :(

Hopefully, there will be no way that I'll ever be able to add to this list again! Of course, I know how "klutzy" I can be... :rolleyes:

Regards,
Tom Stockton

that's interesting (funny would be wrong...)

Last night I was running around my hotel and down the block with my left hand glued together and the glue bottle stuck to my right hand... When I sent a box of excess paint and parts home to my wife... I included my emergency bottle of nail polish remover.

Working on a model in my hotel, and the glue bottle spurted... AACK!!!!

I did the dumb thing yesterday in helping a friend of ours get some trackage laid--I did some soldering under the bench----what is it about solder and going with gravity?:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And people wonder why I use DIN rails and terminal blocks for those DIN rails:cool:

that's interesting (funny would be wrong...)

Last night I was running around my hotel and down the block with my left hand glued together and the glue bottle stuck to my right hand... When I sent a box of excess paint and parts home to my wife... I included my emergency bottle of nail polish remover.

Working on a model in my hotel, and the glue bottle spurted... AACK!!!!

Back around 1982, I was building a balsa wood model of a Focke-Wulf FW190-D
071017-F-1234S-015.jpg
and I superglued my right thumb and forefinger together. At 1:00 in the morning. It is embarrassing having to go the convenience store with your fingers glued together to buy nail polish remover.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the dumb thing yesterday in helping a friend of ours get some trackage laid--I did some soldering under the bench----what is it about solder and going with gravity?:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And people wonder why I use DIN rails and terminal blocks for those DIN rails:cool:
lol! I made the terrible mistake last week of soldering under the layout with shorts on: Yup! Gravity= BIG OUCH and *@#$^ !:D

lol! I made the terrible mistake last week of soldering under the layout with shorts on: Yup! Gravity= BIG OUCH and *@#$^ !:D

I have a lift out section in a bedroom by its doorway. One day I was soldering and left the solderer on its stand. The hook gave way that held up the lift out section against the wall. And when it came down, it hit the door closing it shut. There was no way of getting into the bedroom because the lift out was down blocking the door. Apparently the slamming of the lift out section caused the soldering iron to hit the floor. I started to smell smoke in the room. I ran and got a saw and started sawing a hole large enough into the door so I could crawl through it. I just made it on time and put out a small fire. Now I take the door off whenever I put down the lift out section.

!

I have a lift out section in a bedroom by its doorway. One day I was soldering and left the solderer on its stand. The hook gave way that held up the lift out section against the wall. And when it came down, it hit the door closing it shut. There was no way of getting into the bedroom because the lift out was down blocking the door. Apparently the slamming of the lift out section caused the soldering iron to hit the floor. I started to smell smoke in the room. I ran and got a saw and started sawing a hole large enough into the door so I could crawl through it. I just made it on time and put out a small fire. Now I take the door off whenever I put down the lift out section.
Now that is a dandy:eek:! That experience goes to the top of the list!;):D

Easier to explain than a burned down house.

Bet that cost you a few points with your SO!

Lucky me; not so. She was so happy that the place didn't burn to the ground though she recommended that I remove the door when I have it down. It would be a little harder for her to cut a hole in the door to rescue me if something happened.

Still haven't replaced the closet door. I guess I'll have to pay a visit to Home Depot some day.

Here's a shot of the lift out section in the up and down position.

I sliced and diced my thumb open making a scale log home for my layout. You know the side of the thumb, went right in from the tip and just along the side of the nail. I think it bled up through the next day. The wife of course just shook her head and said I don't wanna hear it. But I made her help me bandage it up anyway so I could back to work. That "newskin" spray stuff works pretty well too. Most important thing, no blood on the model!

I had an ER nurse (no, it wasn't modeling related) tell me once that superglue was actually invented for the military as a way to seal wounds shut on the battlefield.

It's origin was for gun sights, but failed. It started getting more popular for medical use recently.

Is there any possibility of putting in a new prehung door that opens OUT of the room? Might be worth it.....

My first MRR injury report: I was soldering some track on Saturday, or should say, correcting some track. I don't know what I was thinking but I guess I wanted to scratch my nose or something (LOL) and next thing I knew I was frying my upper lip. OUCH! It still hurts. Now, I have to admit at work I have a cold sore or try to explain why I felt the need to solder my lip.

Back