how die hard are you for modeling?

Lab Rat

19 and crazy
You know your a die hard modeler when you injure your self in some stupid way that may require stiches and you keep on modeling.

today i was working on fixing my big boy and the razor blade (extra sharp of course) slid off my project into my finger the gash is an inch and a quarter long and about 3/16s deep. i held it closed and walked around like i was lost for a few minutes then i wrapped a paper towel around it and walked to the bathroom where i proceeded to bandage myself up keeping in mind i am home alone go figure. and then i go right back to what i was doing before i cut myself. I am now sitting back at trying to cut my finger off to make to perfect locomotive lol.

what is your best die hard modeling story?:D

Doing a lot of relaying of trackage and wiring under the bench.

And discovering that there is not a lot of space between one's head and certain parts of benchwork. I actually had a big goose egg on my noggin from clobbering the back of said head into the corner of my layout:rolleyes::rolleyes:

BTW---I do not play well with sharp objects----

You know your a die hard modeler when you injure your self in some stupid way that may require stiches and you keep on modeling.

today i was working on fixing my big boy and the razor blade (extra sharp of course) slid off my project into my finger the gash is an inch and a quarter long and about 3/16s deep. i held it closed and walked around like i was lost for a few minutes then i wrapped a paper towel around it and walked to the bathroom where i proceeded to bandage myself up keeping in mind i am home alone go figure. and then i go right back to what i was doing before i cut myself. I am now sitting back at trying to cut my finger off to make to perfect locomotive lol.

what is your best die hard modeling story?:D

Do yourself a favor: Use superglue to seal the cut, that way you don't waste your modeling time. It's flexible and won't bleed though like a bandaid :cool:

Do yourself a favor: Use superglue to seal the cut, that way you don't waste your modeling time. It's flexible and won't bleed though like a bandaid
Now that's what I call a real true dyed in the wool modeler :D:D:D

Actually not a bad idea, band aids are, well a bit leaky

Cheers
Willis

Super glue really isn't too far off from what I use, a product called "New Skin".Basically it glues the wound shut and has antibiotics as well. Hurts like a mother sometimes tho.
As for benchwork boo-boo's... never try and catch a falling hot soldering iron because there's a good chance that you will!

Actually my wife pulled one I won't let her live down when we first got married. I'm working on some now long forgotten modeling project. (Not train related) She grabs my number 5 exacto with the big curve blade on it and proceeds to cut up a box. I tell her that's not the proper tool for that, but what do I know. She's sitting cross legged on the floor, box in her lap, when of course the blade slips and goes straight into her thigh. I mean almost the entire blade is IN her. Fortunately, it didn't hit anything important, but I think she still has a mark from it. But what do I know...

I've taken more then a few stabs to the fingers, a few deep ones. I've done the glue thing a few times and works well. worst was we used to have a duck under to get to our layout and i stood up to fast and took a large amount of skin off my back. that was not fun

Super glue really isn't too far off from what I use, a product called "New Skin".Basically it glues the wound shut and has antibiotics as well. Hurts like a mother sometimes tho.

Yeah it's very similar to ER room superglue, it's cyanoacrylate with a dab of anti-reproducing bacteria agent.

As for benchwork boo-boo's... never try and catch a falling hot soldering iron because there's a good chance that you will!

That's what Water Gel is for :D

fatk8_bk.jpg

Actually my wife pulled one I won't let her live down when we first got married. I'm working on some now long forgotten modeling project. (Not train related) She grabs my number 5 exacto with the big curve blade on it and proceeds to cut up a box. I tell her that's not the proper tool for that, but what do I know. She's sitting cross legged on the floor, box in her lap, when of course the blade slips and goes straight into her thigh. I mean almost the entire blade is IN her. Fortunately, it didn't hit anything important, but I think she still has a mark from it. But what do I know...

Come on you mean to tell me you never used a screwdriver as a chisel? or a pipe as a hammer...

cut my finger very badly at one time. blade jumped off and slashed through half of the fingernail. was not very pleasant to say the least. to add insult to injury i was told off by my dad for disregard of safety rules, well he was right...
from that time i'm trying to work "away" from myself, predict where the blade will land in case of a get off and not to keep body parts there. still manage to ding myself here and there thoguh.

My Zacto fell off the table once (thin round handle and a #11 blade), and I could not find it for a good 2 minutes. I rolled my chair back and stood up, only to discover the handle sticking straight out of my foot! I had to walk into the living room to show my wife, who freaked out... I then proceeded to glue it closed with some CA...

Don't use a soldering iron and watch TV at the same time! I was soldering decoder wires in a locomotive, and something interesting came on TV. I set the iron down, watched the segment, was still watching when i went to pick it up, picked it up by the tip, smelled something burning, looked down and realized it was my thumb and index finger!

Come on you mean to tell me you never used a screwdriver as a chisel? or a pipe as a hammer...

Of course I have. I just don't injury myself doing it smack in front of the person telling NOT to.

Although my Dad once told me to be careful with a staple gun and of course I put one in my hand as I told him I perfectly well know what I'm doing.:mad:

cutting a round plastic tube with a no.11 and it slipped going into my left thumb and almost severed it near the knuckle the blade was sticking out the opposite side it entered

I still have the scar

ooo thats gotta hurt like he!!
i took my bandage off towards the end of the work day after all the dirty work was done but it started to bleed again after i smacked it on a chair walking by OOPS lol but doesnt it always seem that you always smack ur injuries
cutting a round plastic tube with a no.11 and it slipped going into my left thumb and almost severed it near the knuckle the blade was sticking out the opposite side it entered

I still have the scar

I did the "slice off end of fingertip with the sharp Xacto knife" trick once -- and somehow, I managed to miss every nerve ending in said fingertip, because I never felt it. My first clue something was amiss was when I started saying to myself, "Where the heck is all the red paint coming from?" Took several seconds to realize the "red paint" wasn't really red paint... :eek:

(Cue Homer Simpson...) D'oh!!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Back