GuilfordRailman

For the current switching layout I’m building, I plan to model in the 1950s and 60s. This is an era I’ve never modeled before.

Were any specific boxcars used for grain transport or were their design characteristics specific to their use such as extra hatches or anything like that?

I did learn through research that they used plywood or some other barrier to cover the boxcar openings to allow grain to be loaded but I wasn’t sure if any other notable differences would be present.

Hi GuilfordRailman,

I've done a little bit of research on this subject. Plus I remember seeing some of this as a kid, when my family lived alongside a railroad spur and only about a block away from an old time feed mill/elevator.

For the most part, just a plain old, clean box car was all that was required. They needed to be in good condition with no holes in the floors or bodies or roofs, so as to not leak grain out or allow rain in when loaded, obviously. Plywood was used early on, nailed on from the inside across the door openings, but a cheaper method that eventually became the norm was by first nailing metal banding strapping across the door openings and then covering (from the inside) with a heavy cardstock-type paper over the strapping. Not quite sure about the spacing on the strapping, maybe every 6" to 8" or so all the way up the opening? Whether plywood or paper & strapping, they would leave about a foot or so open at the top of the door opening, just enough room so a man could climb out on a ladder when done installing the coverings, and then pull his ladder out.

From an engineering and practicality standpoint, 40' single door box cars with narrow or medium door openings (6' or 7' wide) would be the most ideal cars to use for grain loading. Longer cars would be harder to get the ends fully loaded, and wider door openings would require much stronger sealing techniques. Needless to say, I highly doubt if any double-door box cars would have been put into grain service!

At any rate, the cars were loaded with grain by a swinging spout that could be inserted thru the top opening and the grain could be directed towards each end of the car and filled as much as possible before being declared full. Finally, the steel doors would be slid shut, then latched and padlocked, ready for transportation.

I think there may have been some box cars that had roof hatches installed so as to bypass the door sealing procedures and thereby speed up the loading work, but I don't think these cars were very common. I'm guessing that while box cars with top hatches were easier to load than box cars without the top hatches, they still weren't any easier to unload. Which is why grain-friendly hopper cars started to become the norm. Plus, the old-time elevators had to start up-grading their facilities in order to accommodate both the loading and unloading of these new hopper cars, which also took some time accomplish nationwide (a decade or better).

Hope this helps. It's what little I know on the subject, and anyone that can add to this is more than welcome to chime in. :)👍

Generally the preferred car was a 40 ft boxcar with 6 ft doors and a clean, solid interior. Midwest boxcars tended to have 6 ft doors (grain) while eastern boxcars tended to have 8 ft doors (merchandise, etc).
Grain boxcars were otherwise not externally different, they were just boxcars. Other than the fall harvest they would be used for hauling other normal boxcar stuff. Boxcars could move in and out of grain service as needed.

1950's grain trains would be grain trains but not unit trains. A unit train is a solid train with blocks of cars moving on one waybill. Each block will have one origin, one destination and one commodity. 25, 50, 75 cars one waybill. 1950's grain trains would be solid blocks of cars moving on multiple waybills. 25, 50, 75 cars, 25, 50, 75 waybills. Each block might have the same origin and commodity, but might have multiple final destinations.

Last edited:
Hi GuilfordRailman,

I've done a little bit of research on this subject. Plus I remember seeing some of this as a kid, when my family lived alongside a railroad spur and only about a block away from an old time feed mill/elevator.

For the most part, just a plain old, clean box car was all that was required. They needed to be in good condition with no holes in the floors or bodies or roofs, so as to not leak grain out or allow rain in when loaded, obviously. Plywood was used early on, nailed on from the inside across the door openings, but a cheaper method that eventually became the norm was by first nailing metal banding strapping across the door openings and then covering (from the inside) with a heavy cardstock-type paper over the strapping. Not quite sure about the spacing on the strapping, maybe every 6" to 8" or so all the way up the opening? Whether plywood or paper & strapping, they would leave about a foot or so open at the top of the door opening, just enough room so a man could climb out on a ladder when done installing the coverings, and then pull his ladder out.

From an engineering and practicality standpoint, 40' single door box cars with narrow or medium door openings (6' or 7' wide) would be the most ideal cars to use for grain loading. Longer cars would be harder to get the ends fully loaded, and wider door openings would require much stronger sealing techniques. Needless to say, I highly doubt if any double-door box cars would have been put into grain service!

At any rate, the cars were loaded with grain by a swinging spout that could be inserted thru the top opening and the grain could be directed towards each end of the car and filled as much as possible before being declared full. Finally, the steel doors would be slid shut, then latched and padlocked, ready for transportation.

I think there may have been some box cars that had roof hatches installed so as to bypass the door sealing procedures and thereby speed up the loading work, but I don't think these cars were very common. I'm guessing that while box cars with top hatches were easier to load than box cars without the top hatches, they still weren't any easier to unload. Which is why grain-friendly hopper cars started to become the norm. Plus, the old-time elevators had to start up-grading their facilities in order to accommodate both the loading and unloading of these new hopper cars, which also took some time accomplish nationwide (a decade or better).

Hope this helps. It's what little I know on the subject, and anyone that can add to this is more than welcome to chime in. :)👍
Thanks for all this great info! It is definitely helpful!

I found this web site. Some pretty neat photos and a great step by step description on grain loading/unloading.

Thanks for sharing! I’ll take a closer look tomorrow when I get a chance. I quickly looked through the webpage, looks like really good info!

Similar to grain cars, Southern Railway used 40' boxcars with round hatches in the roof and yellow doors to identify Kaolin cars. Kaolin is a clay that was transported as a powder but now I believe as a slurry. Years ago, I modeled a couple and used round hatches from an Athearn covered hopper.. Just an idea.

Wow! That was quite an operation. As a former safety coordinator in a machine shop, I lost count of the number of situations in that video that OSHA would’ve had a s***fit over, not to mention the fact that he works very much alone in that environment.

Here is a video about that type of operations. Although it was actually made in 1981, it does reflect what happened for half a century before. Note that OSHA or their Canadian counterpart would have had a field day at this elevator. I am especially impressed by the method of moving the boxcars.

Grain Elevator
Interesting film. Thanks for sharing.

I remeber playing in the elevator my dad operated for 6 yrs. ( I was only 6 or 7 when he found a new calling. Biggest difference from the video, all the elevators in our town had electric motors. My best friends dad operated an elevator as well. Many hrs shooting sparrows with our BB guns. His dad had us shovel out the boot one time. 13 yr old kids down in the belly of the beast. Many yrs later I was one of those farm truck drivers delivering grain to still operational wooden elevators. There may have been a cold refreshment hiding in the toilet tank for emergency hydration

Back