Front End Friday

The Heavyweight Super Chief, 1937-ish:
IMG_1649.JPG

The two scales and interests I do most of my modelling in, HO scale US and UK British Rail N scale.
20240126_131808.jpg

Cotton Belt/SSW's one and only GP7 304 (one of my first ever custom rebuild/repaint models I did in this scale and pride of the fleet) plus, newly arrived this morning Class 37 in BR Departmental Grey awaiting renumbering as 37262.

Interesting front end. (Lol my first thought was something else, dirty mind I guess 🤣).. but what are those 2.. what look like tank heads all about? I have never seen that before. Are they water tanks?. boilers? Inquiring minds wanna know 🙂
You dirty man😆, yes this locomotive class was referred to as locomotive with breasts😃. These are air tanks. When the first of its class was built, it had no power reverse, or water heater. Once it was decided to fit the "Hippos" with these accessories, there was no space for air tanks and they were placed on the pilot deck and became instantly recognizeable as the I1 class feature. Here it is from the side:
IMG_20240116_174913944~2.jpg

You dirty man😆, yes this locomotive class was referred to as locomotive with breasts😃. These are air tanks. When the first of its class was built, it had no power reverse, or water heater. Once it was decided to fit the "Hippos" with these accessories, there was no space for air tanks and they were placed on the pilot deck and became instantly recognizeable as the I1 class feature. Here it is from the side:View attachment 180129
Interesting, thanks for the reply :)

Back