Finally, Santafewillies layout thread

OK, folks. It seems to be time for another post. This should be the last one for Jamestown.
First, another structure from Chet (Montanan) that I got when he dismantled his layout. Next to the Gateway Cafe, is the Gateway Market. This is a really old Walther's kit, and I have another one that I purchased in the early 90's. But given the size of the layout and the serpentine aisles, it is nearly 80' from this one.
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG

As usual, all figures and vehicles were added by me.
Headed south on the railroad, is an unfinished industry, partially scratchbuilt and partially from kits. It takes about 14' of layout space on the backside of the tracks, which includes the main line, a passing siding, and two loading tracks, each of which can hold 12 tankers. I cannot step back far enough to get the entire operation in one picture, so here are bits and pieces.
IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

The four fermentation tanks (Walther's) were obtained second-hand and were really sloppily assembled. I did a lot of filing and putty work to fix them up, but I couldn't find any new ones on the internet at the time.
IMG_2967.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG

All of the structures were made from Pikestuff modular walls and parts. The black storage tanks are from Rix. Tankers are from Intermountain, Walther's and Atlas, maybe some Athearn as well.
IMG_3404.JPG

For operations purposes, I only spot 8 cars on each track and shift them for loading four at a time on each track.
The south end of this industry is not completed as I need to determine what will go further south. There is already an indoor grain unloading facility and an elevator here. A good shot of the elevator is in photo #8.
Any further south as the railroad goes is not developed except for tracks, but I have tentative plans. I just need to finish some other areas first before taking on another big project. But never fear, I still have 8 other towns left to post, although there are a few blanks there as well.

Til next time, thanks for looking and commenting.

OK, folks. It seems to be time for another post. This should be the last one for Jamestown.
First, another structure from Chet (Montanan) that I got when he dismantled his layout. Next to the Gateway Cafe, is the Gateway Market. This is a really old Walther's kit, and I have another one that I purchased in the early 90's. But given the size of the layout and the serpentine aisles, it is nearly 80' from this one.
View attachment 175323View attachment 175324View attachment 175325View attachment 175326View attachment 175327
As usual, all figures and vehicles were added by me.
Headed south on the railroad, is an unfinished industry, partially scratchbuilt and partially from kits. It takes about 14' of layout space on the backside of the tracks, which includes the main line, a passing siding, and two loading tracks, each of which can hold 12 tankers. I cannot step back far enough to get the entire operation in one picture, so here are bits and pieces.
View attachment 175328
View attachment 175329
The four fermentation tanks (Walther's) were obtained second-hand and were really sloppily assembled. I did a lot of filing and putty work to fix them up, but I couldn't find any new ones on the internet at the time.
View attachment 175330View attachment 175331
All of the structures were made from Pikestuff modular walls and parts. The black storage tanks are from Rix. Tankers are from Intermountain, Walther's and Atlas, maybe some Athearn as well.
View attachment 175332
For operations purposes, I only spot 8 cars on each track and shift them for loading four at a time on each track.
The south end of this industry is not completed as I need to determine what will go further south. There is already an indoor grain unloading facility and an elevator here. A good shot of the elevator is in photo #8.
Any further south as the railroad goes is not developed except for tracks, but I have tentative plans. I just need to finish some other areas first before taking on another big project. But never fear, I still have 8 other towns left to post, although there are a few blanks there as well.

Til next time, thanks for looking and commenting.
One thing that could go off to the south is to add some fill material, such that there is a downgrade to where the cars are eventually spotted. This sort of thing isn't uncommon in mountain territory, as it lets cars roll downgrade and into position for loading--unless done wrong, in which case the car either has to be shoved back up the grade, or simply left empty. Maybe not so common in Texas, but you tell me.

On the other hand, that also eliminates an opportunity for switching...probably on both tracks. So for MRR purposes it wouldn't be ideal, while in the real world, given the costs of switching it would be. Or might be.

OR...you could add a graffiti painting venue instead. Maybe sell cans of spray paint to make a buck or two (hey, it's another opportunity to add a building). "Pete's Paints," or something like that....

Last edited:
One thing that could go off to the south is to add some fill material, such that there is a downgrade to where the cars are eventually spotted. This sort of thing isn't uncommon in mountain territory, as it lets cars roll downgrade and into position for loading--unless done wrong, in which case the car either has to be shoved back up the grade, or simply left empty. Maybe not so common in Texas, but you tell me.
My whole layout is flat with no grades, and track and layout is already built in the area that you are referring to. I have built up some areas with foam and other materials to give some minor illusion of grades and changing terrain.

I thought that I would make one more picture-heavy post before going on vacation, and here it is.
Going further north on the railroad is Maultown. There is no actual space between Jamestown and Maultown except for a small area of blank plywood.
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG

I just haven't come up with any ideas yet on how to use this area.
We'll start with the area along the fascia, starting with Casey's Truckin' BBQ.
IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_3463.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG

Next door is another simple but fine Hydrocal kit from Downtown Deco, Cooter's Liquor.
IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

That's it for now, I'll return towards the end of the month.
Thank you for lookiing.

I'm back from vacation now and I got to visit three model railroad museums for additional ideas. In the meantime, let's pick up where I left off last month. We're just into the south end of Maultown, traveling north. Along the backdrop behind Casey's Truckin BBQ and Cooter's Liquor are three typical industries for the area that I model.
IMG_0593.JPG

From the left we start with Farmco Supply, a farming supply business.
IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

This is a Rix kit that required some wall/roof cutting for the final building.
Moving north is a 7-11 convenience store. This is a Walther's kit, that they call 24-Seven Quick Mart, but I printed my own 7-11 signs.
IMG_0848.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

The next structure is one of the first kits that I built in the early 90's, it's an ex-Magnusom kit reissued by Walther's called The Gemini Building, no longer offered.
IMG_0850.JPG

On the left is Sparky's Auto Parts, on the right is Newman's Appliances. Upstairs is a dance studio with no name yet.
IMG_0853.JPG

Along the front of the layout next to Cooter's is the First Bank, a DPM Gold Series structure.
IMG_0857.001.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG

This structure has got interior lights that haven't been hooked up, no lighting buss to this part of the layout yet, as well as figures inside.
In the next installment, we'll move across the street to additional businesses and townhouses. A lot of this town is built on a peninsula jutting out from the layout similar to Jamestown which was featured in recent posts.

Thanks for looking and have a good day.

Isn't is funny how we make our layouts for the model trains, yet spend most of our time designing and decorating the buildings and scenes around the tracks? You're layout certainly is something, Willy. The scenery design and detail is masterful, incredibly creative, and leaves so much to look at! Incredible work!

Last edited:
Isn't is funny how we make our layouts for the model trains, yet spend most of our time designing and decorating the buildings and scenes around the tracks? You're layout certainly is something, Willy. The scenery design and detail is masterful, incredibly creative, and leaves so much to look at! Incredible work!
Thank you Bunker for the shout-out. I do really enjoy setting up scenes that depict life as I see it. In my humble opinion, there have been better layouts featured on this forum, Jim (HOexplorer) and the late Garry CBQ are two who I attempt to emulate, although my locale doesn't have as many trees as theirs. Thank goodness. There are others but I just can't remember names, just layouts. I don't mean to slight them in any way.

Thank you Bunker for the shout-out. I do really enjoy setting up scenes that depict life as I see it. In my humble opinion, there have been better layouts featured on this forum, Jim (HOexplorer) and the late Garry CBQ are two who I attempt to emulate, although my locale doesn't have as many trees as theirs. Thank goodness. There are others but I just can't remember names, just layouts. I don't mean to slight them in any way.
It really shows that you enjoy designing these scenes! I really love that aspect of having a layout as well. Having inspiration in other layout master builders is how this hobby continues, and your layout is among the masters in it's own right!

my locale doesn't have as many trees
Growing up in southeastern Baltimore County, MD (Essex/Middle River) trees were everywhere. Despite that many of your scenes remind me of where I grew up. I can imagine riding my bike or walking through many of your scenes.

Thanks, Willie, for sharing your work. I always enjoy looking at your photos, I find it comforting.

Good Day. Onward on our journey through Maultown. This will be a two-part post since I have a lot of pictures today. To the north of the bank is the peninsula with downtown Maultown on it.
IMG_7123.JPG
10-13-19 003.JPG

Specifically today I will start with the Walther's Merchant's Row I in the lower left center of photo #2. This is one of two of this model that I have, the other is painted differently and is on the lower level 40' away so it isn't too obvious that both are the same model.
IMG_7078.JPG

IMG_7079.JPG

On the south (left) end is the Southern Grill
IMG_7415.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG

Upstairs is World Wide Travel agency.
IMG_7291.JPG

Moving right is the Golden Leash Pet Shop.
01-08-20.2 003.01.JPG

Anchoring the center is City Hardware.
IMG_7288.JPG

This is a good stopping point for now.
I am going to eat supper and then return in an hour or so. Enjoy and thanks in advance for any comments, both good and bad.

And now we come to Part II.
On the right side of the MR I structure are two more businesses, a Camera Shop and a Bakery & Delicatesson. As with many other structures on my layout, the interiors are pictures that I found on the Internet and scaled to the right size; printed, cut out and mounted in the windows. Most are concave to give some depth, and in some cases to add figures.
IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_7285.JPG

Across the road from MR I, is an older DPM structure called The Seymour Block.
IMG_0890.JPG

On the right is the Key to Success Apparel store.
IMG_7264.JPG

IMG_7294.JPG
IMG_7295.JPG

Upstairs is Jane's Boutique and the Sidetrack Tap Tavern, is on the other end.
IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

Please note that some of these photos were taken over on the workbench because I couldn't maneuver the camera into a good angle.
Finally at the end of this block is Colonel Maul Park, a small park next to the Tavern.
IMG_7262.JPG

That's it for now, I hope everyone enjoyed this small part of my layout world.

Time for another installment. I will continue with the city of Maultown, specifically the townhouses on either side of Oak Street.
10-13-19 003.002.JPG
10-12-19 015.001.JPG

On the south side of the street are two townhouses nestled between the small park shown in post #96, and a vacant overgrown lot fitted into a small leftover space on the layout edge.
IMG_7180.001.JPG

The burned out structure on the right is from Model Power, obtained back in the 90's sometime. I cannot remember the manufacturer of the one on the left.
IMG_0971.JPG

I just recently detailed the backsides of these structures, long overdue.
IMG_0626.JPG

Then there's the vacant lot on the end.
06-20-18 023.JPG

Across the street on the north side are three structures from DPM, on the far right is Rudy's BBQ, a local favorite here in Texas, we'll get to that in the next update.
06-20-18 013.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_7256.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

I have been recently been painting additional figures (as documented over in the Coffee Shop), to add to the street side of this road. There are also some additions coming to the alley here, but right now they are just thoughts and plans. Probably no action until spring at the earliest. I have way too many other things on the project list to choose from first.
That's it for this edition, stay tuned. Enjoy and comment if you wish. Til next time...

Magnificent work, thanks for sharing!

The interiors are great, I imagine that took some work. From my vantage point it was time well spent.

What's playing at the movie theater?

What was the inspiration for the name of the town Maultown?

If these questions have already been answered, forgive me. I have also exposed the fact that I take more time looking at the pictures than I do reading.

Magnificent work, thanks for sharing!

The interiors are great, I imagine that took some work. From my vantage point it was time well spent.

What's playing at the movie theater?

What was the inspiration for the name of the town Maultown?

If these questions have already been answered, forgive me. I have also exposed the fact that I take more time looking at the pictures than I do reading.
Maultown - Maul is the family name of some relatives. I'm not sure that I explained that earlier.
Movie Theater will be featured in the next post, but here's a sneak preview.
02-22-20 005.JPG
02-22-20 006.JPG

Back