Finally, Santafewillies layout thread

Our next installment begins with the daily Frisco train arriving at the interchange track in Budville.
IMG_0049.JPG

Out in front in the modeled portion of town, next door to Majestic Hardware is Ma & Pa Kettle's trailer. Pa is grilling burgers while Ma is offering support while keeping the cold Bud Light, no make that Miller Light flowing.
IMG_7401.JPG

03-03-20 001.JPG

Scratchbuilt grill.
03-02-20 003.JPG

The trailer is from the now defunct Nu Comp Miniatures. Figures are unpainted Preiser, cooler & beer cans were just made from scraps. If I remember correctly, the truck is an Oxford vehicle.
They keep goats out back.
IMG_7576.JPG

Industry is closing in on them and next door to the south is Midtown Consolidators, a rail-served industry that receives carloads of product and re-distributes the various products locally by truck. The structure itself is a Walther's "Red Wing Milling Co.", that has been slightly altered.
IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_7571.JPG

This is one of a very few structures that I didn't build myself, having gotten it at an estate sale.
IMG_3669.JPG

The next installment will be the switch tower controlling the flow of traffic between the Frisco and Santa Fe.
See you then.

WILLIE my friend, you are tempting me to start a thread of my own, since I also was verbally "spanked" in the coffee shop for the spline pics. I'm thinking of saving all my progress pics until the mainline is completed with track in place, but before all the yards and sidings are done. After all, it's not a railroad til something moves right??

Our next installment begins with the daily Frisco train arriving at the interchange track in Budville.
View attachment 172454
Out in front in the modeled portion of town, next door to Majestic Hardware is Ma & Pa Kettle's trailer. Pa is grilling burgers while Ma is offering support while keeping the cold Bud Light, no make that Miller Light flowing.
View attachment 172456
View attachment 172457
Scratchbuilt grill.
View attachment 172458
The trailer is from the now defunct Nu Comp Miniatures. Figures are unpainted Preiser, cooler & beer cans were just made from scraps. If I remember correctly, the truck is an Oxford vehicle.
They keep goats out back.
View attachment 172459
Industry is closing in on them and next door to the south is Midtown Consolidators, a rail-served industry that receives carloads of product and re-distributes the various products locally by truck. The structure itself is a Walther's "Red Wing Milling Co.", that has been slightly altered.
View attachment 172460
View attachment 172462
This is one of a very few structures that I didn't build myself, having gotten it at an estate sale.
View attachment 172461
The next installment will be the switch tower controlling the flow of traffic between the Frisco and Santa Fe.
See you then.
Love the grill.

WILLIE my friend, you are tempting me to start a thread of my own, since I also was verbally "spanked" in the coffee shop for the spline pics. I'm thinking of saving all my progress pics until the mainline is completed with track in place, but before all the yards and sidings are done. After all, it's not a railroad til something moves right??
C'mon, start a thread! We love to watch builds. I did it and it's been relatively painless :D

All right, let's move to the last two structures in Budville. First is the switch tower next to Midtown Consolidators, that controls the junction between ATSF and the interchange trackage with SLSF.
This may be my oldest structure on the layout, nearly 40 years old. It is the familar to many Atlas Switch Tower. The only improvement that I made was to add clear styrene to the windows about 15 years ago.
IMG_3631 (2).JPG
IMG_3632.JPG

Here we have a Santa Fe freight approaching.
IMG_0125.JPG

Due to my era, I have no passenger trains or equipment at all.
On the backside is a small farm. The structure itself is a Branchline laser-cut wood structure known as "The Drayton House".
IMG_0124.JPG
03-03-19 008.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG

The outbuilding is a scratchbuilt structure, made from leftover wall sections from many of the Bar Mills structures that I have.
IMG_7573.JPG

Behind the shed is an old-time family cemetery plot.
IMG_0130.JPG

Note the garden on the other side of the house.
IMG_0128.JPG

It's a bit crude looking in the picture, but from the 3' distance on the layout, it looks great. Looks like I need to vacuum the cobwebs soon!

For the next installment, I am going to move to the upper level and feature Jamestown, the first thing that anyone sees when entering the layout room. Here's a teaser.
10-07-20 001 (2).JPG

Post where you feel best.

OK, it's been a few days and I am ready to go. As I posted in the last pictorial, I am moving to the first scene that one sees upon entering the train shed, at eye level on the upper level. The name of the place is Jamestown, in honor of my late younger brother. This town is built on a peninsula jutting out, and has no rail related industries, just a mainline running through and one end of a switching lead to the Ethanol Distillery.
Almost all of the businesses here are laser-cut wood structures, with six coming from Bar Mills, two from JL Innovative and one from American Model Builders. There are two Hydrocal models from Downtown Deco, two plastic ones and a cardstock one.
Here is the blank canvas that I started with.
01-25-19 004 (2).JPG

At the time of this picture, that was a temporary storage track to the upper right. You can see my outlines of the two main roads crisscrossing the place.
Progress at the time.
01-25-19 005.001.JPG

Here are a few more recent overall views.
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

I make my roads from asphalt roofing felt, aka tarpaper. It's generally black when first applied, but turns to a more realistic gray after a short exposure to lights. I have a partial leftover roll from my last roofing adventure.
IMG_3332.JPG

Some day I will paint the fascia.
03-19-19 010.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

We have persons from all walks of life here.
02-23-19 010.JPG

01-17-20 019.JPG

The last two figures came from Woodland Scenics, as did some of the bikers.

I'll go into detail regarding some of the structures in the next installment.

Back