Finally, Santafewillies layout thread

Good Afternoon. Here is the next installment in my layout series. We're still in Jamestown. The only actual home here is a small cottage nestled in behind Bruckner's Woodworking. The home itself is half of a DPM Gold Series kit called Emery Lane which is no longer available.
IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG
04-19-19 003.JPG

The lady of the house is in the yard hanging out the laundry.
04-19-19 002.JPG

The last part of Jamestown is a series of businesses on the west side of the track.
IMG_3291.JPG

Across the tracks behind the house is Ace Auto Parts, another much smaller Hydrocal kit from Downtown Deco.
IMG_3267.JPG

A few customers.
IMG_3268.JPG

Here's a shot of it while on the workbench showing some of the paint and sign detail.
05-20-18 019.JPG

Next to it is a modified Walther's kit known as Smith's General Store. To me it is Village Apothecary and the modification is that I swapped the side walls from side to side. Pictures were taken before the area was fully landscaped.
IMG_3248.001.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

That's it for this installment. we'll visit the remainder of this block next. I'll get a couple more pictures of the Apothecary as I didn't know that I didn't have any completed scene ones.

The only actual home here is a small cottage nestled in behind Bruckner's Woodworking. The home itself is half of a DPM Gold Series kit called Emery Lane
Willie- Would the time period and locale support a tv antenna on the house? It looks to be an affluent neighborhood and a tall antenna might be a nice detail. Or do they use rabbit ears on top of the tv?

Willie- Would the time period and locale support a tv antenna on the house? It looks to be an affluent neighborhood and a tall antenna might be a nice detail. Or do they use rabbit ears on top of the tv?
Mikey - Thanks for the comment. A TV antenna on the roof would be quite appropriate. One of the projects on my list of to-do things is to mass-produce outdoor antennas to add to a number of homes on the layout. I actually have a few scattered around on other structures. I remember these the most, but they are not real easy to make, or handle after being made. The store bought models are too thick to be realistic.

1696671676134.png

Good evening one and all. Time for the latest installment from Santafewillie's layout. I originally thought that I might finish Jamestown in one more post, but some of the details in the next structure needed more space.
But first, as promised, another shot of the Village Apothecary in the finished scene. Note the 60's era Cheverolet Corvair parked out front. It came from Oxford Models.
IMG_0544.JPG

We move next to one of two structures in this town that I got from Chet (Montanan), when he dismantled and sold off his fabulous layout. This one is the Gateway Cafe. He did an excellent job of adding interior details, which I added to.
IMG_0546.JPG

I added new lighting, plates on tables and a few figures.
IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

The old-time radio, telephone, cash register and bottles were added by him; and so was this sink and faucets.
IMG_3065.JPG

Unfortunately they (sink & faucets) cannot be seen from the vantage point that my layout offers. I believe that this cafe was located at the front of his layout and has a removable roof. This pot-bellied stove was also there when I received the building. I plan to add a stovepipe to it soon.
IMG_3064.JPG

A few more interior views.
IMG_3061.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3285.JPG

Stay tuned for the next episode when we reach the edge of town.

Thank you for looking.

Willie- What did you use for the plates? Everything looks natural and in scale for a cafe scene.
I have not found anything that looks right for HO scale plates.
I took a piece of scale 12" thick sprue from the scrap pile and painstakingly sliced very thin slivers for the big ones. Used a smaller diameter piece for the smaller ones. I used a single-edged razor blade since an Exacto knife blade is too thick. No fingers were sacrificed for this procedure.

Wille, how many people (about) do you think you have on your layout.
My granddaughter and I counted them about a month ago and there were just over 1150. I have since added another couple of dozen to the Coffee Shop and Hobby Store that I posted about in September's Coffee Shop. To me, people on the layout really set the scene. About 75% are hand-painted by me.

My granddaughter and I counted them about a month ago and there were just over 1150. I have since added another couple of dozen to the Coffee Shop and Hobby Store that I posted about in September's Coffee Shop. To me, people on the layout really set the scene. About 75% are hand-painted by me.
Wow, but like you said it makes the scene along with the other details.

Where do you source all these figures?

I've also noticed that in some scenes you even have clothes on the lines. Little details like this are what makes your scenes so great and stand out against a lot of others I've seen.

Where do you source all these figures?
Over the years, I have bought a number of different Preiser bulk kits of unpainted figures. I don't see them on their website any more so I don't know if they have been discontinued or just not listed. I recall 8 different sets each containing 120 figures each, at a cost of less than $20 per set. Some sets had duplicate sprues of figures to other sets, so I have performed surgery on many of them; mostly repositioning arms, cutting off luggage, and filing overcoats and fedoras into more American-like figures. There are also some bulk kits from China available on Amazon in both painted and unpainted versions. I have filled in with more expensive painted sets from Preiser, Koch, Woodland Scenics and Walther's. Another newer company from Canada that specializes more in animals is Miniprints.com. Tom O alerted me to this company and I have ordered many 3D printed animals and a few people from Bernard as well.

I took a piece of scale 12" thick sprue from the scrap pile and painstakingly sliced very thin slivers for the big ones. Used a smaller diameter piece for the smaller ones. I used a single-edged razor blade since an Exacto knife blade is too thick. No fingers were sacrificed for this procedure.
Willie-
Being a stubborn cuss, I tried slicing a sprue with the Exacto blade.
You are absolutely correct that the blade is too thick. The razor blade works much better, but it must be a new sharp blade.
I need to get more blades to make a complete set of dinnerware.
Thanks for the information.

I need to get more blades to make a complete set of dinnerware.
In the window manufacturing industry that I worked in, we used 100's of single edge razor blades every week, mainly for cleaning caulking and backbedding off the glass in the finished product. We used so many that the salesman that sold them to us, regularly handed me a box of 100, since he knew that I used them in modeling. Hey, I'm sure that he charged the company in the end, but he didn't acknowledge that. I still have several boxes of them and will never run out in my lifetime.

Mikey - Thanks for the comment. A TV antenna on the roof would be quite appropriate. One of the projects on my list of to-do things is to mass-produce outdoor antennas to add to a number of homes on the layout. I actually have a few scattered around on other structures. I remember these the most, but they are not real easy to make, or handle after being made. The store bought models are too thick to be realistic.

View attachment 175016

I would try to make a tv antenna array from cut paint brush pig bristles…they are pretty stiff
I was thinking of this today trying to fish out a stray bristle caught in a photo-etch tread plate
Though even that is a bit on the thick side to be scale

In the window manufacturing industry that I worked in, we used 100's of single edge razor blades every week, mainly for cleaning caulking and backbedding off the glass in the finished product. We used so many that the salesman that sold them to us, regularly handed me a box of 100, since he knew that I used them in modeling. Hey, I'm sure that he charged the company in the end, but he didn't acknowledge that. I still have several boxes of them and will never run out in my lifetime.
We also in the window business used the single edged blades. I left there in 1988 and still have a box and 1/2

I would try to make a tv antenna array from cut paint brush pig bristles…they are pretty stiff
I was thinking of this today trying to fish out a stray bristle caught in a photo-etch tread plate
Though even that is a bit on the thick side to be scale
I like this idea of using the paintbrush bristles. More to scale than the thin wire that I have used, and probably easier to fasten.

Back