Favorite train songs

Yes there are lots and lots of train songs. I have two or three albums of just railroad related music (Ronco Train Mania! No not really). I think the reason many aren't mentioned here is because many (most) of them aren't any good or even worth mentioning. There is no way they could be peoples "favorite".

For my favorite classic railroad song I have to go with Arlo Guthrey's City of New Orleans. Can't think of anything else even close. A few years ago I called up very artists version known to the internet and listened to them over and over with a critical ear. Guthrey's easily wins. He makes the listener think he really feels it and makes the listener feel it too. Willie Nelsons was a distant second, not because of his singing which is always ok at best, but because of the chuff chuffy rhythm in the background.

For modern, I think I have to go with Big Iron Horses. Don't even know who the artist is. The only thing that annoys me about it is that they use truck terminology calling flat cars - flat beds. Still a distant 2nd to City of New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Orange Blossom Special" played by guitar and/or fiddle.
It doesn't matter if you are long hair, short hair, bow tie or overalls, you AIN'T gonna sit still while listening.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Guys,
You have mentioned a number of songs that this older guy, going on 68yrs has ever heard-of or heard but some I can down-load and listen to.

It seems it was last year about this same time the train song subject came up so it's good to see it surface again. Links were also posted to listen to some of the various songs.

Now being that I haven't heard many of the songs mentioned it's hard for me to have any like or dislike of them but I kept expecting to see some post one of the/my all time favorites, Roger Millers, 'King of the Road'! I did listen to a portion of, 'Box Car Willie' and that seemed rather interesting too.

I'll have to say that I'm partial to Hobo songs although most are probably about 'Boe's' anyway as they were a very colorful part of history.

Also in keeping with this theme was, 'what was your favorite movie' and mine was, 'Emperor of the North' starting Lee Marvin as 'A#1' who was King of the Hoboes! So I got to wondering if there really was a person such as 'A#1' and low and behold, He really existed!!

So model railroading can really depict many areas of real life and actual characters too.

So Bruette, kindly forgive my tangent to your thread,

David

David, I'll go down that tangent with you for a ways.
I'm partial to "Breakheart Pass" with Charles Bronson., however "The Train" with Bert Landcaster is right up there too!

A few of my favorites...

"Long Twin Silver Line" by Bob Seger
"End of the Line" by JJ Cale
"Lonesome Train" by JJ Cale
"The Getaway (Lonesome Train)" by Ray Davies - formerly of The Kinks

Back