Favorite train songs

How about The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by The Band
Peace Train by Cat Stevens
and one of the best train songs of all time Canadian Railroad Trilogy by Gordon Lightfoot.

This one's probably a stretch, but on Springsteen's second album, there's a segment of "New York City Serenade," with train references (probably referring to the subway):

"... and hook up to the train / hook up to the night train... But I know that she won't take the train, no she won't take the train... She's afraid that the tracks are gonna slow her down..."

(A further aside if you're a Springsteen fanatic like me -- there's a fantastic concert version of this from Rome earlier this year on YouTube... even with strings right on stage...)

G'day all again...There's a mention of a train in the Tom Jones classic...... Green Green Grass Of Home..Real sad song.."there to greet me was my momma and my papa" at the train station....We had a folk group in the 1960s called the Seekers...who had a song that depicted a train trip called ALL BOUND FOR MORNING TOWN MANY MILES AWAY..The group , three blokes and a woman , would still be alive and in their 70s now..Ever heard of this one ? Cheers Rod...

Hey Everyone!

I have been busy in my locomotive shop and not been on the forum much.

I hope everyone is doing good.

I had to come on this morning because I can't believe I forgot about my all time favorite train song!

Saxon's "Princess of the Night" I bet RCShadow will remember this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-49noOAFsG8

I was listening to an old cd I had made years ago from my LPs of various bands when I heard this song. I thought to myself "how could I have forgotten the best train song ever!"

I am sure some won't like it, but to me it is what art is supposed to be. It evokes emotion and can always make my day better.

Have a great day everyone!

Louis

Lyrics to Saxon's "Princess Of The Night" :
[Written By : Byford/Quinn/Oliver/Dawson/Gill]

She used to be an Ironhorse twenty years ago
Used to bring the mail to me through the ice and snow
I've sat alone and watched her steaming through the night
Ninety tons of thunder lighting up the sky

She was a princess of the night
I saw the writing on the wall
I take a ride across the sky

Speeding, sparks like lightning engine working hard
Furnace on the foot plate shining in the night
Iron striking metal the sound of racing steel
It's all I ever wanna hear it's music to my ears

Ninety tons of thunder lighting up the sky
Steaming red hot pistons see the wheels flash by
Hear the whistle blowing streaking down the track
If I ever had my way I'd bring the princess back one day

(sky, sky, sky)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I remember that one. I wasn't a huge Saxon fan but they had a few I liked. I am more of a Sammy Hagar, Pat Travers, Boston, Van Halen, Judas Priest kinda guy :). Oh! And a closet John Denver fan lol.

Good to hear from you!

Hey RCShadow!

I agree about those bands!

I always thought Saxon was underrated in the US, they were never as big here as they were in Europe.

I'm a big British Metal fan.

As for John Denver, he is a special case, They use to play "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" during the seventh inning stretch at Orioles games. The fan base is not the same since they moved to Camden Yards from old Memorial Stadium. I miss hearing John Denver.

Good to hear from you as well!

Now back to the locomotive shop, in between driving the school bus (my mini-van)

Louis

Hey Bad Order!

Saxon is not for everyone, like most modern music.

If you were a teenager in the 70's or 80's then you might be more likely to appreciate it.

Lyrics are great and it proves the love of trains crosses all generations.

see ya my friend!

Louis

Hey Bad Order,

I know just how you feel. When my kids were teenagers they drove me crazy with rap music and I don't even know what to call the kind of music my son listened to, techno or something.

Everything changes, but one constant in my family has been model trains. My grandfather loved them, I love them, my son loves them and my grandsons love them too!

I won't even begin to go into discussing politics. It's enough to say that in this political atmosphere public servants seem to have become only self-serving.

Thank God for model trains!

Louis

If you are buying Bad Order I'll have an Irish whiskey over ice, thank you.

My father was a part of what is known as the 'greatest generation". Unfortunately he never lived up to the billing and turned out to be a dead beat dad. I have no idea if he ever had a train. I never met him until I was over 30 years old. The more I got to know him the less I liked him. I don't keep in touch with him.

My Mom gave me my first train. She was inspired by her father.

I was the happiest kid in the world.

Louis

My father was a part of what is known as the 'greatest generation". Unfortunately he never lived up to the billing and turned out to be a dead beat dad. I have no idea if he ever had a train. I never met him until I was over 30 years old. The more I got to know him the less I liked him. I don't keep in touch with him....

Good on your Ma there... And I can't help but feel sad, both for you and your Dad.

He doesn't know what he missed by not stepping up to the job and the joy of parenting.

Sounds like you have done what you had to do to take care of yourself and your family, so good on you, too, Louis... Have a great day.

From the DairyStatePhone

Louise,

Bless your heart man. I feel for you. You had it way worse than I did. My dad and I only had one contention while growing up. He didn't go to school and didn't even finish public high school. He did way better than most though. However, when it came time for me to think about college, he was dead set against it and told me he didn't want a "career student" in his house so he kicked me out after I registered for college. I knew I needed to go so I left willingly.

Later in life, he confided to me that he expected me to go sleep in my car in a park across the street and come home with my tail between my legs the next morning. He said he was very surprised that I never came back which hurt my mother. I finished school three years later, had gotten married, and held down a $4.25/Hr programming job at a local business that did mail order. I guess I forgave him but we didn't speak of it much throughout my adult life but I do have some animosity towards him for it even today.

Still, that is small potatoes compared to your situation so I guess I was lucky. Kudos to you and your mother for getting through a tough challenge. I respect you for it. I respect you for having a good attitude as well.

You guys never cease to amaze me. Thank you for your consideration and kind words. Train people are the best!

RCShadow you did good for yourself. I chose to go my own way when I was 19 and it taught me how to fend for myself. Being a parent is a very difficult job, there is no manual. A good parent in my eyes is one who tries to do the best they can everyday. Sometimes you make mistakes, but all you can do is what you think is right at the time. As long as you are not taking the easy way out you are doing good.

I was a spoiled child. My Mom and my 2 sisters shared a 2 bedroom apartment in a neighborhood that was built to house the workers that build aircraft during the second world war. An elderly neighbor couple above us looked after us and me in particular like I was their own child. They were Nanny and Jack to me. They spoiled me, I had everything I could have asked for and more. Jack played ball with me, took me fishing, and everywhere he went. Nanny babied me.

I honestly was the happiest kid in the world. Life could not have been better. My father did me a big favor. I got to have Jack as my example of how to be a man. I would not qualify to be a pimple on Jack's butt. He is the greatest man I ever knew. I would not be any kind of a decent man with out him, Nanny, my Mom and my sisters. If I had known my father maybe I would have followed his example and pretend to be a good man, but when no one is looking do what ever you want. Lie to yourself and everyone around you.

Jack taught me to do the right thing because it is the right thing to do. Because of him and his example I sleep good every night and I am happy everyday.

No need to feel sorry for me DairyStateDad, but you are right to feel sorry for my father.

Louis

I guess I'm having a cheap draught beer then!

My father was in the coast guard, a good place to hide from the action.

I did not serve, I just missed the draft and I had a bad attitude as a young man. I would have ended up in Leavenworth. As a young man I knew everything and listened to no one. I never threw the first punch, but I provoked many a man into swinging at me. I did not change until my first child was born.

My daughter trained to be a combat medic until she got pregnant and my son-in-law is still in the Army. You could say the Army gave me a grandson!

Thank you for your service Bad Order and this round is on me!

Actually to be honest, I don't drink, well, I will have a few sips on the 4th of July.

See ya my friend!

Louis

HEY LOUIS,

That is sad.

The "Greatest Generation" usually refers to those who served in WW2, so if he served his Country, I'll give him points for that, anyway.

Incidentally, I'm not buying unless you can tell me that you served too.

However, you will always be my model railroad friend.
Cheers,

Bad Order
US Army, 1960-1962

G'day Louis and all.....Ever heard of Slim Dusty...He was an iconic Country and western artist here in Australia for decades...He's since passed on...he created a song about one of our two great train trips across our country ..the journey is 4300 kilometres...about 2600 miles. between Sydney - Perth..Indian Pacific Song....it's on You Tube if anyone is interested.. The other great trip is between Adelaide - Darwin The Ghan... Indian Pacific is East -West and Ghan is North- South..worth a listen on genuine train songs. Cheers Rod...

G'day Stoker....Thanks for the clip....is terrific....never heard of this singer but was good indeed...Slim Dusty wasn't exactly obscure in Australia but given the huge talent in the USA he wouldn't have been very well known...just would have been lost in the mix is all...He died in 2003...Lots of great songs....Cheers and thanks for the reply...Rod..

G'day Louis , Stroker and all the crew....We have so much in common...colonial history , huge allies , massive open spaces , country music and bloody big trains..
A chap called Rod Williams has posted some great vids on Australian trains. We don't have as much double stack (my favourite and what I'm trying to model via BNSF) but we do have similarly huge ore , coal and mixed freight trains...and the Indian Pacific trans continental passenger trip (what the Slim Dusty song is about)( and THE GHAN...which travels the continent the other way up/down essentially...Thanks for checking it out...Cheers Rod

Back