Dream Plan Build Series

grande man said:
We just got our copy today. From what I've seen of it so far, it's a well done production. Thinking ahead, I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where you order a DVD subscription rather than a magazine. Joe, is that possible? Could they ever be produced fast enough to be a monthly issue?

Why not? We have shows like Oprha, Today, etc (not my veiwing list, what came to me quick) that seem to fill an hour or so. I would think with good planning they could do it, but at what cost?

Hmm. I might just tote my camcorder to the hq of Kalmbach and offer my services =)

There has to be thousands of layouts that might enjoy the glare of the camera's light.

Perhaps a little boost might happen to the hobby as people scramble to get ready for the all seeing camera. You wont believe what is "Caught" when you view a photo or film.

Just watched most of it (skipped part of the Build Your Layout bonus) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even my wife Laura, who is fairly neutral to the whole railroad thing, enjoyed it - although her comments echoed my thoughts while the guy was doing the background trees - "I could do exactly what he's doing... and it wouldn't look anything like that."

Grande man, don't expect the next DVD for about 4-5 months. Back when I had the DVD drive trouble, the man at MR said the next one is going to be released in about 6 months. I would guess that once they complete the series then you would be able to get them on a monthly basis.

Gee,
Am I the only one who saw a lot of this stuff on Tracks Ahead several years ago? The UP yard, F&SM, speeder, RPOs, Northlandz and O and S layouts were directly from TA. The layout segment looked like it was the one they did for the World's Greatest Hobby a couple of years ago. That said, I followed the cloud painting segment with interest. I've used the wet on wet technique before from the various oil painting series on PBS and wondered if I could do it in water based paint on my backdrop. Apparently, one can, but I'll need to keep that undercoat wet. I wonder why he didn't go over the clouds lightly with a large dry brush to soften them just a bit. That was an effective technique also taught on the PBS shows.

I still refuse to paint the bottom of any water course black, however. Browns and olive greens, yes.

All in all, I felt it was worth the 9 bucks and sent MR my money. I'm in the over 55 crowd, but don't see how anyone could not get by without a computer and the opportunity to get flamed on the internet. I played the thing on our TV DVD player and had to have my wife copy the pdfs off it on her computer DVD drive to my memory stick. When my stepson asked me what I wanted for Christmas from Newegg, I told him a DVD for the computer. Not exactly keeping up with the computer age, but trying.
Ron Ferrel

How'd you guys get the DVD? Did you have to sign up for it, or was it sent out to random MR subscribers or something? We've given them plenty of money over the last dozen years...where's my copy :mad: :rolleyes: lol

Nate, I got mine during their field testing, but I believe that I read you can order it now through the Model Railroader site. Maybe someone else can answer you more definitely.

Back