Door no.1, Door no.2, or Door no.3..?

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hello fellow train addicts, I’m facing an interesting dilemma. The online E-magiazine Model-Railroad-Hobbyist is going to publish an article of mine, and I’ll be netting just shy of $400 from that. This is totally unrestricted income for me! There are lots of mrr-related things I’d really like to have [but normally can’t afford]; however, I can only get one of these.

There are 3 things on my ‘short’ list: (1) A trio of Walthers Hulett ship/barge unloader kits, (2) some FastTracks jigs and associated tools for handlaying #4 and #6 turnouts, or (3) a pair of NCE Cab04P-R wireless throttles for visiting operators who can't bring any of their own. I’ve spelled out the benefits and drawbacks of each below.

Huletts – Benefits: I never dreamed I'd have enough cash in my pocket to get these things in the first place, and now will probably be my only chance at this price. They sure would look great on my ore dock if I eventually start modeling the Transition Era.

Huletts – Drawbacks: They will definitely sit unassembled on my trainroom shelf for the next 4-5 years, as my current layout wouldn’t accommodate them without major surgery. I would need a minimum of 3 of these things to make the scene appear credible, if and when I do install them.

FastTracks – Benefits: This would give me the means to build and install some highly reliable turnouts in my yards and industrial areas.

Fastracks – Drawbacks: I would have to start reconstructing my layout in order to benefit from having them. I don’t have that many derailment problems to justify replacing the existing Atlas turnouts.

Cab04-R – Benefits: With these extra throttles, I will always have enough wireless units on hand to keep at least three train operators occupied – even when they can’t bring their own. (BTW – these are what I originally earmarked this article money for.)

Cab04-R – Drawbacks: They would only be used once or twice a month, during my hosted op sessions. Otherwise they’d be sitting idle.

I’d like to get some opinions from “the gallery” before I make a final decision. The money isn’t actually in my checking account yet, so I have a while to reflect on it. What would you do in this situation?:eek:

And then there's Door #4: how about one throttle, one unloader, and the rest on the jigs?
By the way, congrats to you and looking forward to the article!

Congrats on the article. I agree with spreading it out.
I wouldn't get something that will sit for a couple of years before use. I'm sure by then you'll have more than one occasion to get it again.
Try not to find something to spend the money on. wait until you need something for the layout. I'm sure if you sit on it for a month or 2 and visit an LHS you'll be sure to find the right thing. :D

Ken,
I can't wait to read your article, congratulations!
I would start out with the Hulett and then maybe a throttle as the turnout jig seems less rewarding then the others. Even if the Hulett sat for some time on the shelf if you ever needed I'm sure you could sell it.
Anyway, I''m sure any would be nice to have if you could.
Dave

Ken, Door #2, because better trackage is always great, the extra cab is nice, and the huletts are sweet, but the track seems to be needed more then the rest by your pro-con list.

Turnouts: if it ain't broke, don't........
Unless you build a lot of turnouts, I can't see the payback benefit (even if it is a great system.)

Huletts: I'm drooling all over the place. Makes me want to relocate my mill to the Great Lakes. Its a beauty and it would really be a plus to your already outstanding mill site.

Throttles: Well, I have one extra for a guest. Those that come for a session are expected to have their own or wait awhile to borrow one. Never had a problem come up about it.

Summary: two Huletts and one throttle (or three Huletts :D)

BTW: Now that you will be a published author, you can fly down to Bama country on your next visit. LOL :D
Again, Congratulations!

Door number 1 is carrying the big word.....IF....

Door number 2, Just how many switches do you have? Tools are nice, but 75% of mine stay in thier place on the bench or in the box.

Door #3, with more controllers, you may have more frequent company.

I'd buy a nice engine or two. Maybe a used brass Hudson, Mohawk, Berkshire, or a compound. I jsut saw a couple of PRR centipedes go on eBay. Throw another couple of hundred with it and get a BEAST!!!!

Bob

I would say get the Hulletts as you know what happend to Walthers kits once they stop making them and they are sold out. If you get 3 kits and decide you dont want them down the road then I am sure you will be able to sell them for more then you paid for them. as for the jigs and throttle. Those items will always be available.

Thanx for the feedback, gents! Each of you make some pretty good points.

As of this moment, I'm leaning toward possibly getting one throttle plus the jigs without the M.E. track included. My reasoning is that I still need more than just my one ProCab to have op sessions. And even the among the guys who bring their own throttles, most of them use tethered cabs. I don't have a large number of UTPs in my layout, plus I don't want people tripping over each others' throttle cables.

As for the FastTracks - I would consider them a 'strategic' investment. Sooner or later the Atlas t/o's will fail, so I'd like to already have the infrastructure on hand to build my own NMRA-compliant replacements. If I don't buy them now, I probably never will - and I'd end up having to buy more factory-made turnouts (since that's all I can usually afford 95% of the time).

The Huletts, while they are indeed awesome-looking structures, wouldn't look right on my early-1990s-era layout. I'd have to get rid of my homegrown brass ore bridge to make room for them. And my trainroom shelves are already cluttered enough with unbuilt kits. So as of now, the Huletts are "the Weakest Link - goodbye!" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Huletts are cool. But I’m going to guess that only about 50% of the kits sold will actually get built. I don’t see a shortage of these anytime soon. I’m sure that we see a spike in price when they get discontinued but I think these will be available for the next ten years one way or another. And like you said you would have to back date the layout a bit to really get them to fit in and if you do that the unloaders are only a small piece of the puzzle.

The Fast Tracks jigs are neat but your need for them falls under if it’s not broke don’t fix it. These or something like them are going to be available into the foreseeable future. Unless you are going start ripping up track work tomorrow I don’t think you’d get much use out of them.

Extra throttles. I can see the use and immediate enjoyment from one or two of these.

I would probably get one throttle and then spread the rest over the rest of the layout. Maybe a sound decoder for a unit that doesn’t have it, some detail items for a scene figures, vehicles, etc. maybe some better trees and ground cover for an older area of the layout. Or maybe some better structures to replace some of the older kit built stuff. All are just ideas. I have always liked the look of your layout as it is.

Or maybe I wouldn’t spend it at all. I have always found that I have to make up things to spend money on I probably don’t need them and I don’t think any of the things on your list are going to be unavailable any time soon.

Did I mention the Huletts are cool?:D

... I have always found that if I have to make up things to spend money on I probably don’t need them ...

Joe, that's a very good point. But these aren't "made-up" - I've definitely needed at least one spare throttle for awhile now. And if I want super-reliable trackwork in my yards, I can't keep buying Atlas turnouts. I now have a brief window of opportunity to make the initial start-up investment in FastTracks jigs, I don't want to miss it.

The Huletts, cool as they may be, are a distraction...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, I'd vote for the throttle also, along with some fast track jigs. Sounds like you don't really need the Hullet anyway and those kits do have a way of gathering dust before you ever get around to building it. You can always practice with the with the fast track jigs when you have the time and you can never have too many throttles. Just ask Rex. :) Looking forward to reading your article also.

Joking Response: Well Ken, if you you don't know what to use it for, there is always door #4: Give it to somebody else.

Serious Response: As I have absolutely no idea what your modelling, I don't know what to say regarding structures. I understand a want for reliable trackwork, I'm sure all of us want to know that we have reliable trackwork. I also understand having a couple extra cabs on hand if somebody needs one. I would probably just say to hold off on getting anything. When the problem arises, carpe diem! Aside from that, I would say to put it into your bank. They'll know what to do with it!

I say get the FastTrack jigs. Since you plan on changing your turnouts anyway and not buying Atlas anymore why throw good money after bad? Get the jigs. If any cash is left over, get a throttle.

Good Afternoon Ken,

It's definitely Congrats on having your article published, I'll be watching out for it of course. What is it on or about?

Now as far as how you should invest your money or the purchases you should make I think your plenty smart enough to deside for yourself. Far in the future planning is great but may never come about, what is important is the here and now or soon to be.

The interesting thing is I don't know of too many, [any to be precise], other individuals in my area tha have multi opoerators every now and then. Actually even locating other MRRer's is somewhat difficult too oddly enough?!

Take care and talk with you laterf.

Back