Diesel Servicing Facility

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I've got a confession to make. While it's a little known fact around here, the Platte Canyon Sub has an Atlas Turntable :eek: :eek: :eek: (no offence to anyone who likes them). It was part of our original layout that we added on to that dates back about 7 years. At the time, Litte Grande wanted a turntable, not knowing any different I gave him one. :rolleyes: As most here know, you can't even turn a stinkin Connie on a 9" turntable. We run diesels anyway, so the turntable's time to go has come.

Now that the stage is set, I'm open to suggestions for diesel servicing. I've got Jim Hedger's article on the subject. http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=1101 As usual, we'll be fighting for every inch of real estate needed for such a project. I envision something with just two tracks, fueling equipment, sanding tower, office/shop buildings and an oil tank. The lead in track will have to be a curved Peco ST244 turnout to make this work. I bought a curved Peco SL86 today but there's no way it's going to fit, so I ordered the ST244.

I'm planning to scratch the buildings out of styrene. The concrete servicing pad will also be styrene.

Here's what we have so far:
  • American Limited #5100 Sanding Tower
  • Woodland Scenics D232 Diesel Fueling Facility
  • Rix 43' Peaked Top Tank
  • Evergreen 9080.080" styrene
  • Evergreen 4525 Metal Siding
  • Evergreen 101 trim strips
  • Evergreen 294 1/8" Angles

Diesel_Facility_Project_002_edited.jpg

We'll need figures, misc equipment (like the Woodland Scenics welding equipment) and, of course track/ballast. Can ya'll think of anyting else?

The thought we're going on is that the town will be used as a helper base for trains headed west of the Joint Line on our fictional Platte Canyon Subdivision. The helpers and others will require locomotive servicing as will the local switch engine.

Anyone have any suggestions before this project gets underway? I'd love to hear them.

Keep us posted. I want to develop a diesel service section as well, again, in minimal space. Show us how it is done!

Keep us posted. I want to develop a diesel service section as well, again, in minimal space. Show us how it is done!

It'll be a little while but I'll post pics. I've got to get started on the kits and be on the lookout for the new Peco turnout.

You seem to have it covered, Eric. I don't believe there is any equipment on mine that you haven't mentioned already in your kits. Figures, oil/grease drums, hoses, junkpile, nasty weathering will all make it come together. Sounds good...now for the work.

Rex, If ours came out even close to yours I'd be a happy guy. Unfortunately, our version will be much abbrieviated...

You seem to have it covered, Eric. I don't believe there is any equipment on mine that you haven't mentioned already in your kits. Figures, oil/grease drums, hoses, junkpile, nasty weathering will all make it come together. Sounds good...now for the work.

Junk...now there's something I already have plenty of :eek:

Nate, those are great figures to have around. I have the welders with a GRS welding light kit. The light looks like a real arc and is controlled by the voice modulation from an AM radio that comes with it.:)

Nate, you've got some great prices on the WS figures! :cool:

For anyone thinking of ordering, Nate is a great fellow to do business with.

Nate, you've got some great prices on the WS figures! :cool:

For anyone thinking of ordering, Nate is a great fellow to do business with.

Thanks! I aim to please :)

RexHea said:
Nate, those are great figures to have around. I have the welders with a GRS welding light kit. The light looks like a real arc and is controlled by the voice modulation from an AM radio that comes with it.

I think the only welding light kit I can get a hold of is the Miniatronics kit. I've never handled their line before...does anyone have any experience with their products?

http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchan...=100-201-01&Category_Code=2_1&Product_Count=0

Diesel Servicing

I've got a confession to make. While it's a little known fact around here, the Platte Canyon Sub has an Atlas Turntable :eek: :eek: :eek: (no offence to anyone who likes them). It was part of our original layout that we added on to that dates back about 7 years. At the time, Litte Grande wanted a turntable, not knowing any different I gave him one. :rolleyes: As most here know, you can't even turn a stinkin Connie on a 9" turntable. We run diesels anyway, so the turntable's time to go has come.

Now that the stage is set, I'm open to suggestions for diesel servicing. I've got Jim Hedger's article on the subject. http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=1101 As usual, we'll be fighting for every inch of real estate needed for such a project. I envision something with just two tracks, fueling equipment, sanding tower, office/shop buildings and an oil tank. The lead in track will have to be a curved Peco ST244 turnout to make this work. I bought a curved Peco SL86 today but there's no way it's going to fit, so I ordered the ST244.

I'm planning to scratch the buildings out of styrene. The concrete servicing pad will also be styrene.

Here's what we have so far:
  • American Limited #5100 Sanding Tower
  • Woodland Scenics D232 Diesel Fueling Facility
  • Rix 43' Peaked Top Tank
  • Evergreen 9080.080" styrene
  • Evergreen 4525 Metal Siding
  • Evergreen 101 trim strips
  • Evergreen 294 1/8" Angles

Diesel_Facility_Project_002_edited.jpg

We'll need figures, misc equipment (like the Woodland Scenics welding equipment) and, of course track/ballast. Can ya'll think of anyting else?

The thought we're going on is that the town will be used as a helper base for trains headed west of the Joint Line on our fictional Platte Canyon Subdivision. The helpers and others will require locomotive servicing as will the local switch engine.

Anyone have any suggestions before this project gets underway? I'd love to hear them.

If it's passenger service then you would also need at least two large high pressure hoses for the steam generator water tanks. One being connected to each unit as they were being refueled. A smaller engine water hose would also be needed. There would also be a pump house connected to a drain running the lenght of the fueling pad that would catch any over flow of fuel from the fueling proccess. The unit also seperates the fuel from the over flow of water. There would also be derails with attaching metal blue signs protecting the servicing tracks that could be raised or lowered.

NYC_George

In the way of Diesel servicing, I actually like the Bachmann kits! The fueling and sanding rack kit, with the raised walkways, though it might be a bit much for you.

It looks like you have just about everything picked out, maybe a small side track with a servicing pit?

Ya'll are giving me some good ideas. Anyone know who makes a good inspection pit? It would be easy enough to scratch them too.

If it's passenger service then you would also need at least two large high pressure hoses for the steam generator water tanks. One being connected to each unit as they were being refueled. A smaller engine water hose would also be needed. There would also be a pump house connected to a drain running the lenght of the fueling pad that would catch any over flow of fuel from the fueling proccess. The unit also seperates the fuel from the over flow of water. There would also be derails with attaching metal blue signs protecting the servicing tracks that could be raised or lowered.

NYC_George

I'm not to sure there were many environmental protections during our time period, the mid 60s. Your post brings up a great point though. Are most facilities equipped with underground or above ground piping?

As for passenger ops, we just run one thru train (Denver/Pueblo) so I'll probably just stick to servicing freight locos coming and going on the Platte Canyon spur.

Servicing Pit

Ya'll are giving me some good ideas. Anyone know who makes a good inspection pit? It would be easy enough to scratch them too.

Peco makes a inspection pit. Although the real pit in Brewster, NY was much wider being that a man could stand either under or next to the engine. It allowed the instection and adjustment of brakes with out bending down. The track was supported by I beam steel. On the older F units the windows would start leaking and the water would find it's way into the sand tanks. It was a easy job if the engine was over the pit to clean out the sand lines with a small steel rod.

NYC_George

Fuel and environmental protections

I'm not to sure there were many environmental protections during our time period, the mid 60s. Your post brings up a great point though. Are most facilities equipped with underground or above ground piping?

As for passenger ops, we just run one thru train (Denver/Pueblo) so I'll probably just stick to servicing freight locos coming and going on the Platte Canyon spur.

There are four New York City reservoirs in Brewster. I was on the day hostling job and watched them install the unit in 1970 because fuel was being leaked into one of the reservoirs.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to see what this becomes!..We just laid the track at our steam/diesel servicing area..we have a few items but are gonna watch what you come up with. We also have a rolling stock prep area that we have a car washer set-up and a caboose track with supply building. just still figuring how to tie it all together.

There are four New York City reservoirs in Brewster. I was on the day hostling job and watched them install the unit in 1970 because fuel was being leaked into one of the reservoirs.

NYC_George

Thanks much for the detailed info! :cool:

Speaking of reservoirs, do you ever remember seeing air reservoirs that were charged with train air to boost sand into the sanding tower? Jim Hedger makes mention of such an arraingement in his article. I was thinking that for a small time servicing facility the trackside air reservoir might be cool to model.

I can't wait to see what this becomes!..We just laid the track at our steam/diesel servicing area..we have a few items but are gonna watch what you come up with. We also have a rolling stock prep area that we have a car washer set-up and a caboose track with supply building. just still figuring how to tie it all together.

Don't get your hopes up to high, Bob. We're working in a small space... LGM and I are both looking forward to the project though. It should add interest to the layout and it's operation.

Back