Dave's Layout v. 4.0

It has been a while since my last update, since much of the scenery is done have been doing some details also just running trains around, shuffling freight, generally having fun with the layout...

I added some cows, another big tree, also husband and wife on porch reading:

homestead.JPG

Put more action at the freight shed as well:

freight shed r.JPG

got a better pic of a crex warehouse building, also shows some tracks at the Wyoming depot:

Crex r.JPG

Made up this scene unloading logs:

unloading logs r.JPG

lastly putting together a windmill for the top photo, also painting some trees so they look like birch (also will be black stripes on them)

The cornstalks will be in the same scene, along with some flowers

windmill progress r.JPG

THANKS for looking and leave a comment if you like

Dave LASM

It has been a while since my last update, since much of the scenery is done have been doing some details also just running trains around, shuffling freight, generally having fun with the layout...

I added some cows, another big tree, also husband and wife on porch reading:

View attachment 158223

Put more action at the freight shed as well:

View attachment 158224

got a better pic of a crex warehouse building, also shows some tracks at the Wyoming depot:

View attachment 158225

Made up this scene unloading logs:

View attachment 158226

lastly putting together a windmill for the top photo, also painting some trees so they look like birch (also will be black stripes on them)

The cornstalks will be in the same scene, along with some flowers

View attachment 158227

THANKS for looking and leave a comment if you like

Dave LASM
Nice work Dave, always a joy to see you at work. 😁 😁

Those trees in the top photo are roots from shrubs, I actually pulled them out last year and had them hanging out to dry then brought them into the shipping container to dry further for several months. I have a few large ones, also smaller ones from feeder roots. In that scene there are 3 large roots and two smaller ones, one of the large trees only the branches show and it is a dead tree cause no leaves.

Thanks for asking!

With the cold weather came a good opportunity to work in the train room, I put some more effort into my LeeTown log truck, added the driver, logs, stakes, and dulled the finish down a little with brown and white acrylic wash:

log truck r.JPG

Also posted this video with some of my updated scenery also shows some action on the line:

in the video see lots of new trees, logs and log loads, scenery around Groningen, MN

Dave LASM

THANKS Rico, Sherrel for the comments!! The steamer is an antique Varney made in the 50's and refurbished by me. It is some type of metal alloy weighs a ton but not brass.

Christian - there is a track plan on there somewhere, however for your convenience I attached it here:

track plan.png

The layout is doughnut shaped. The sawmill is in the lower left. The feed mill is on the left. On the top is the Wyoming depot, and on the right side would be the St. Croix river and wooden truss bridge. The light silver lines are switches for off/on power to insulated sections.

Groningen is the bottom right. The entire dimension is about 11' x 12'.

I have been working on this small building for the layout, it is a pretty straight forward kit, it models the Cornerstone Saloon/Inn located in Wyoming, MN from about 1900 until present day as it still stands and is in use:

bldg 1 r.JPG

Here are the parts, I painted the outside bricks with a brown primer coat, used black on the interior. The interior will be lighted so I want the joints to be imperviouds to light

bldg 2 r.JPG

I realized this section needed to be affixed to the brick walls, I used a narrow bead of JB weld to close up any opportunity for light to bleed out

bldg 3 r.JPG

Here the corner sections are assembled, next will be putting mortar between the bricks also some light weathering, also I made a floor of card not sure if there will be any interior

Here is the original building, this scene is being reproduced on the layout, somewhat compressed not sure what I am going to do about the street cause I do not have a lot of room...

Wyoming street scene.png

more later, Dave LASM

Thanks for the comments! I made some more progress, tried a couple different things on the brick work...

Here is where I am just using a white wash, about 25% white acrylic paint with water, applied with a paint brush...

Putting white wash on Cornerstone.JPG

While wet it wipes off easily with a soft cloth, or just water on the brush will also thin it down a bunch

Here I did just the back wall with white only, will not be left this way:

Wall with white wash.JPG

This wall will not show so is great for experimenting,

Here is the front after doing the white wash treatment with some Water/Alcohol/India ink solution, not sure if I like it yet:

white wash and india ink.JPG

There are about 3 areas where I have the india ink solution on the front. It looks really grungie not sure if I will leave it like this. After paint is done, will be doing the windows and finishing touches

Dave LASM

Jordan and Ulrich both were what I would call premier kits and the prices have escalated!
AND it's a real shame that they are no longer in business.
I understand that the Jordan family ordered the molds destroyed.
That's what I heard as well. They can still be had but expect to pay upwards of $20.00 each instead of the $4.95 or so they used to be when in production.

That's what I heard as well. They can still be had but expect to pay upwards of $20.00 each instead of the $4.95 or so they used to be when in production.
I think I paid $15-20 for the Jordan kits, they have a bunch at Scale Model Supplies in St. Paul. Although they are a bit spendy for a small bunch of plastic, it is a good way to purchase Steam era trucks and cars! They are something of a challenge to assemble, take lots of patience.

Also can be had on ebay, sometimes a good deal, sometimes not.

Thanks for commenting, Alan!

Dave LASM

Back