Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

I got the two remaining FP7's decaled and numbered. 619 and 1599 if you want to know.

Now earlier I asked a question about these two locos. They're both Roco built but have different types of motors. One has a can motor and the other an open frame motor. Which loco is older?

My 'official' answer is that the one with the can motor is older. It's a Roco built Atlas made in the 70's. The loco with the open frame motor was made in the 80's. Presumably it's Atlas but there's no brand name anywhere. There's a scrubbed off spot on the bottom of the trucks exactly where the Atlas name would have been. However these trucks are on Atlas, E-R Models and Con-Cor FP7 locos that I know of and the Atlas and E-R Models both share the 70's body. I'm reasonably certain the Con-Cor model does as well. Near as I can tell the 80's model has a 48" dynamic brake fan whereas the 70's model has a 36" dynamic brake fan. There are other minor molding differences such as a second headlight on many of the 80's models.

Here's a photo of the chassis with the open frame motor.
DSCN3670.jpg

Well it's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1012768.jpg

Good Morning!

Another typical Jersey morning, 52° and overcast with a 20% chance of "showers" later today. Yesterday, turned out quite nice when the cloud cover dissipated after noon.

Now that I (hopefully) won't need it for a while, I got the snow blower running, it needed a new spark plug, and I tuned up the lawn mower with a new spark plug, air filter and fresh oil.

First order of business is to run some branches over to the recycle facility, then cut the lawn, which is suddenly growing.

Have a great day!

Joe

Good morning. It's 74° with 82% humidity. It will be cloudy with light rain this morning. Heavy rain and thunderstorms later. The high will be 80°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond80.jpg

No plans for the morning or early afternoon. I may do some cleanup on the layout. There's decal sheets, paper clippings from numberboards and tools scattered around. Late in the afternoon I have a dinner to attend. Today would have been my mothers 75th birthday.

DSCN3556.jpg

Well my few little plans for today have already been scuppered. Even as I was posting this morning my father called and said we have to go to town to get all the gas cans (three 5gal and one 2gal) filled and then put them back in the old fridge they're stored in and lock it up. Why he can't do this on his own I don't know. We also had to go by the fire dept and unload about a hundred feet of old rubber fire hose he had in the bed of his truck. We got all that done and I still haven't had anything to eat today. So that's next. Something fast like buttered rice should be good enough. I'll have a couple of hours to get something, anything done on the layout before I have to get ready for dinner in town this evening.

Am I running in little circles fast enough?

well i lucked out , didnt have to replace the fridge , i pulled the fan behind the freezer compartment wall & it was the bearing so i pulled it apart lubed it flipped it upside down , & it works great !!!! do another 4 or 5 years till the compressor dies lol but im good for now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a storm front moving in here pretty quick and it's starting to look really nasty out there. Not only that, it's starting to feel nasty. When I stepped out a little while ago to put a coat of Krylon Matte Finish on the last two FP7 shells I could literally feel the electricity in the air. It could get bad. Here's the local radar picture:
inmasirla_.gif

I'll be back later if I can.

Dinner in town went quite well. I had a chimichanga with rice and a salad. The thunderstorms busted loose while we were there and had settled down to a moderate but steady rain by the time we left there. It's still raining now and I can hear more thunder in the distance.

It's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011176.jpg

Now I don't know what chimichanga is, but going by your previous tastes I'm assuming it's something hot and robust. So, was it the storms or the chimichanga that blew the roof off the diner?

Good morning. It's 41° with a wind chill of 36°. Humidity is 83%. Wind NNW 15mph gusting to 28mph. The high will be 65°.
cond026.gif

Sunny today but cooler. I'm going to see if I can get some of the mess on the layout cleaned up before I get interrupted for some reason or other. Four of the FP7's are getting a good run this morning. L&A 626, RI 405, L&A 1514B and L&A 1523C. Quite a mix of motors there. Whatever brand Roco used in the 70's, Mashima, Athearn and PPW.

DSCN3685.jpg

Beano seems to have the opposite effect on me. Every time I've tried it the stuff made things worse, not better. Very effective for killing any bugs that get in the trailer. Also great for peeling the paint off the walls.

Good morning folks

Just passing through quickly. Work lately has been on crises after another. At home I am up to my neck with volleyball, college volleyball recruiting, college visits, and Boy Scouts. This weekend is my daughter’s last club volleyball tournament in Manheim, PA. My son is busy getting ready for the Boy Scout Jamboree and beginning to think about what he needs to do to earn Eagle Scout.

Hopefully things will calm down with club volleyball down to just practices for a few weeks and then nothing. Summer League and camps start in June, however. My son does have a couple Jamboree preparation camping trips in May.

I will try to check in more often.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Got called down to my fathers place today. He wanted to get some things done that require two people. While their my niece and her husband came down to look at the work that's being done on the west wing. It's starting to look like a house now instead of a bunch of framed walls. So I went around with them and we all inspected the quality of the work. It pretty good overall. Not ready to move into yet but it's getting there. The floor plan is open concept. With the exception of the bathrooms and bedrooms you can go into each area unhindered by doors and you can see quite well from one room to another. But I ended being on my way too long and now my knees, hips, back and shoulders are giving me plenty of grief. I hope I can get some sleep tonight. Looks like tomorrow will be a sunny day with a high in the 70's. I was a bit surprised that nobody asked what that big loco on the Sundown shop track was this morning. That's my second largest loco and it can take 18" radius curves and #4 turnouts all day long. So can my biggest one.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3521.jpg

Back