Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

Good morning. It's 72° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. It will be cloudy with a high of 85°.
condmc-1.jpg

Today I'll be working on applying decals to the FP7's I've spent the last couple days painting. For now it's just the L&A decals. I haven't quite decided on the range of numbers yet. I used '601' on the unit I photographed just so there was a number there. I was actually wondering where I was going to put the numbers when I thought 'hey, dummy, these are F units! Use the number boards! That's what they're there for!'. It makes for a good use for my label printer.

DSCN3643.jpg

DSCN3645.jpg

Good morning. It's 72° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. It will be cloudy with a high of 85°.
condmc-1.jpg

Today I'll be working on applying decals to the FP7's I've spent the last couple days painting. For now it's just the L&A decals. I haven't quite decided on the range of numbers yet. I used '601' on the unit I photographed just so there was a number there. I was actually wondering where I was going to put the numbers when I thought 'hey, dummy, these are F units! Use the number boards! That's what they're there for!'. It makes for a good use for my label printer.

]
Many roads used a horsepower based numbering system, where an F unit would be in the low 1500 series, and a GP7 would be in the high 1500's.
Just a suggestion, which, like all free advice, is worth at least as much as you paid for it.

I've got a day off and the weather isn't totally bad, so I'm going to go to Rochelle, IL to watch the BNSF and Uncle Pete pound the double diamonds for a while as I'm only about 20 miles from there. Pretty decent way to pass some time when working out of town!

I got three of the FP7's decaled and numbered today. That was a little tricky cutting out those number boards.

DSCN3653.jpg

Tomorrow, if I have the time I'll see about getting the other two done.

For what it's worth, The Reading numbered its FP7s 900 through 907. My two Genesis are the 902 and 903, while my Atlas Yellow box is the 907.

Jeffrey has almost as many FP7s on his L&A as the Reading did.

In the early diesel era, there was no rhyme or reason with numbering of diesels. When the second generation came out, there was an inclination to begin the series with the HP rating.

On a freelanced model railroad, it's the owner that gets to determine the numbering.

Those of us who try to mimic a prototype, are subject to some guy in the mechanical department back in 1952 who determined that numbers 900 to 910 were available for FP7s.

My other order of decoders came in this afternoon. I ordered them from Trainworld in Brooklyn, last Sunday evening. That's not a bad turnaround, at all. Now I have all week to finish my projects.

joe

About 5:45 I went down and mowed the front and back yards. I found the optimum throttle setting on the tractor (they all have one, you just have to find it) and I did it all on one tank of gas. The grass wasn't high enough to make a bunch of clippings and I wasn't going to wait for it to get that high. We're expecting rain Thursday, maybe as early as tomorrow so I considered it a good idea to stay ahead of it. If we got a heavy rain on uncut grass it would be a big job to cut it. I don't feel like going through all that.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can get the other two FP7's decaled and numbered. Certainly not a big job. Just slow and tedious.

Well, I'm tired so time to call it a night here. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3662.jpg

Morning all

Not much going on here today. Partly sunny, high in the high 60's, chance of showers later..

Either need more sleep, or more coffee,,can't decide which>;)

Good morning. It's 73° with 92% humidity. We might have some rain today. It'll be cloudy with a high of 85°.
condmc-1.jpg
cond20.jpg

Today I hope to get the last two FP7's decaled and numbered so I can move on to other things. There's this little Lima CP 0-4-0t that I want to take apart and try to get running again. All it's going to do is sit on a display shelf but I'd like to say that it runs. Another steamer I have is somewhat more ambitious and may be a complete waste of time. It's a Tyco 2-8-0 Consolidation. It's tender drive and the motor is toast.

DSCN3655.jpg

damn it jeffery yea jinxed me lol. at 430 this morning my fridge started to scream like a banshi !!! its still working & has quited down but we know its on its way out so fridge shopping i go :(

Good Morning!

Running late today. It's another typical overcast, drizzly Jersey day, although the temperature is in the low 60s. I need to tune up the lawn mower, for another season, and to store the snow blower for another year. Then get out and buy the wife a birthday present.

Later on I will continue installing decoders :).

Have a pleasant day!

BTW, my fridge failed a week before Hurricane Sandy hit. Hopefully this new rash of fridge failures doesn't bring along any extreme weather........

Joe

damn it jeffery yea jinxed me lol. at 430 this morning my fridge started to scream like a banshi !!! its still working & has quited down but we know its on its way out so fridge shopping i go :(

Dontcha hate when that happens?! I just had to buy a washer & dryer for the same reason. Replace it now or wait til it takes a crap! The old ones were 15 years old so they don't owe me any money, but it's still money I'd rather have in the bank!

Went to Rochelle yesterday and got to see eleven trains in about two hours. Best it's been anytime I've gone there. Went once and BOTH BNSF and UP were doing track work with only a few trains moving at the time. Spent most of my time in the gift shop.

Yesterday they were a couple of power moves by the UP. One was couple of GEVO's with an old GP lease unit bringing up the rear and the other was a six unit block of fairly new six axle EMD's. You kind of forget how big the newer units are until you see them mixed with some of the Second Generation GP's. A real reality check.

My only complaint was the fact that there was only one general merchandise train in the whole bunch! Everything else was pig trains with a grain train and a tank train to round things out. Not even a coal train in the group. Still nice to watch but not as interesting as things were 30 or 40 years ago.

The weather is horrible here today! The weathermen are fairly well agreeing that we will get up to 4-6" of rain today and tomorrow. There are storm and flash flood warnings out for the whole area. I hope my camper doesn't get blown away! I'm at Mickey D's now and it's been raining hard for the last hour. And this isn't even the bad stuff they're calling for! That's supposed to happen tonight and in the morning as the warm front comes through.

I'll have to go back to my camper and try to sleep this afternoon before going to work tonight. I HATE RAIN! Well, this much of it anyway.

I'm working on two Roco built FP7's today and decided I'd have some fun with a simple question. Both of them have their factory equipped motors. One has a can motor and the other has an open frame motor. Which loco do you think is older?

I'm working on two Roco built FP7's today and decided I'd have some fun with a simple question. Both of them have their factory equipped motors. One has a can motor and the other has an open frame motor. Which loco do you think is older?

The one with the can motor, of course. The open frame motor is cheaper...

Dontcha hate when that happens?! I just had to buy a washer & dryer for the same reason. Replace it now or wait til it takes a crap! The old ones were 15 years old so they don't owe me any money, but it's still money I'd rather have in the bank!

The appliances are supposed to last "forever". I hate spending the money to replace 'em too. Going to have to replace the gas range/oven soon. Drat!

Joe

The appliances are supposed to last "forever". I hate spending the money to replace 'em too. Going to have to replace the gas range/oven soon. Drat!

Joe

Our last washer didn't last 10 years. Really ticks me off, when I was a kid you'd get25 out of them.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Back