Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

Happy Friday. Looks like a nice day, sunny with a high in the low to mid 50s. Today's plan calls for some work on the layout, in preparation for this afternoon's battle with the leaves that rained down on my lawn overnight.

Have a great day!

Joe

Good morning folks

It was 41 F this morning as I rolled out of the driveway. Our high will be 51 F.

We are continuing to notify coaches of my daughter’s decision. It has been a little rough since she has developed relationships with many of them. In some ways it is like losing a friend. She is down to the last few and these will be extremely tough. They were the other schools in her top 5 and several of the coaches she has been talking with for 3 years. These will be all phone calls.

This weekend will be busy. Saturday begins club volleyball try-outs. She will have them for the next week and a half. This week is try-outs in Delaware and next week is Pennsylvania. She has one Saturday, one on Sunday, and then Tuesday night. This year will be different since she has committed. It won’t be about going with a club that is attending the tournaments that the college coaches will be recruiting at. It will be about staying in shape, getting touches, and getting more training.

I plan on inventorying my model railroad collection over the next few weeks. Anything that I am not going to use I will probably sell or trade. I need to lessen the pile some. I also have to go through my supplies and she what needs to be replaced. I know there are quite a few bottles of dried up paint. I also need to track down some tools that others in the house have borrowed.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Tom ... I am reading with interest about your daughter and her volleyball playing. One of our 5 adult kids is a daughter who has been very active in volleyball. Previously, we lived in Michigan, and that is where this daughter still lives. In high school, she was on a team that was 4th in the state of MI. Later she was in college playing volleyball there. She studied education and became a teacher and a also high school volleyball coach. Her teams did quite well. On year she was named High School Coach of the Year for the entire state of MI.... Now she is in her 30's and in recent years blessed us with grandkids which has sharply reduced her volleyball time.

I could not resist including a volleyball game in my county park because of our volley ball player and coach in our family.

Countypark1.jpg

Good morning. It's 51° with 76% humidity. The high will be 65°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

Well I guess today I can get started on Oliver's (his name for now) great train adventure. It starts with a string of passenger cars being pulled by a trio of GP40's. I plan for him to find that he's locked in a sub-basement trunk compartment under the observation car at the end of the train. Since it's locked from the outside the only way out is up. Now whether or not these compartments opened into the cars interior I don't know, but this one does. He's going to have to dodge possible harm from those on board (it's mostly dead-head equipment but there's about a dozen possible bad guys) while at the same time try to find objects (keys, tools, manuals, etc) that he can use to stop the train somehow and get out of this twilight zone world he's found himself trapped in.

I've never written one quite like this so it should be a challenge to create.

I hope everyone has a good day. After all, what could possibly go wrong? It's Friday!

P1010003-14.jpg

P1010003-13.jpg

P1010001-15.jpg

Good morning this Friday, Nov. 8th, 2013,
It's a cool day here in the foothill area as the enclosed back porch is 60 °F yet the outside is 65.8 °F per Wonder-ground Weather, going for a high of 72 °F and a low tonight of 37 °F. The Hum-idity is 31%.

I'm planning on doing more work to get the CV Tie strips corrected a bit on the beginning of the cliff edge siding and get some rail spiked down which should be a relatively easy process as the tie strips already has the tie plates molded in so everything should fall in place very easily for the code 70, the code 55 for the cliff edge siding may require the use of the rail gauges.

This is the first time I've used the CV tie strips and I can see there interesting advantages to them especially from the standpoint of changing the positioning of the ties if you don't care for their position after tacking them down as nothing is glued in place.

Talk with everyone later,

David

That is very cool, Garry.

I won't be on in the morning because I'll be up early to meet up a friend of the family who, at 20, already owns a small garage where he works on cars (not for commercial purposes, just for fun). I need to varnish one last bit of benchwork, but don't want to in the house (fumes) and our own detached garage is unheated. So my son's buddy has kindly agreed to let me have some space in his building for the weekend to do the job where it will be warm enough to dry properly.

After that, it will be off for a haircut, and then up to Trainfest while DairyStateMom enjoys the live opera at the local movie theater... :)

If you're at Trainfest, I'll be the bald, bearded guy with the T-shirt that says "Still Plays With Trains" and a leather jacket....:rolleyes:
:cool:

That is very cool, Garry.
If you're at Trainfest, I'll be the bald, bearded guy with the T-shirt that says "Still Plays With Trains" and a leather jacket....:rolleyes:

I know how to play with trains, how do you play with a leather jacket though? :rolleyes:

One of these years I'll make it to Trainfest. I might have to sell myself into slavery to get a ride out with my buddies from Spring Mills Depot, but it could be worth it! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how to play with trains, how do you play with a leather jacket though? :rolleyes:
Karl he doesn't play with it, he plays in it - you know, as when some guys put on a striped engineer's cap when they run their trains, he puts on his leather jacket instead!:p BTW Do you think you'll be going to Jim Brewer's open house tomorrow?

. . .
Finished doing the 'rehearsal' runs of each train movement planned for next Friday's op session. There were some minor glitches that I was able to correct, and [unfortunately] one that I will not have time to fix before the session: one of the curved turnouts in my yard is a teensy bit too sharp. 99% of my trains work fine with it - but not my Proto2000 SD7's. I'll just have to warn whoever is working the yard to keep a really close eye on it when he runs an SD7 over it in the facing-point direction. Then in a few weeks I'll put a broader-radius curved t/o in that spot.

Well I didn't make any headway on Oliver's train adventure. Didn't put the first line to paper even. Instead I got some other things done. Small things but they still took up more than their share of time. I was getting tired of having to change out diskettes on the //e every time I wanted to play another game or copy some diskettes or use one of my word processor programs. So I pulled the drive controller out of my mothers old IIe and put it in my //e and added two more disk drives. Now I can work on Native Fury and keep a backup copy on drives one & two on slot five and I can use drives one & two on slot six for the other stuff I mentioned earlier. Plus slot six is the only one the CP/M utilities will run on.

I also picked up some stuff I ran across. A new drive controller for my mothers old IIe ($15.41). They normally run $20-$25 or more, sometimes $40+ so when I saw that one I snatched it. I also picked up a 25-pack of Arvey single sided, double density 5.25" diskettes with labels, write protect tabs and sleeves included. There are probably some people who don't even know what a 5.25" floppy disk looks like without looking it up. And I picked up five games. Load Runner, Big Quest, Kid's Adventure, Earthquest and Grungy Towers (a Commodore game rewritten for Apple). In all I spent less than $50. These days I could spend close to that on one RTR freight car and not get near the same amount of enjoyment from it.

DSCN5544.jpg

It's past time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN5543.jpg

P1010002-9.jpg

up1624-L1.jpg

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Sat 11/9/13

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

COFFEE_CREME1.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Temperatures will range from 49 to 54 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Winds will range between 13 and 20 miles per hour from the southwest. No precipitation is expected.

2mfc7lu.jpg

Good Morning! It's Saturday Morning.

29° at 7AM and it's clear and sunny. The winds dissipated and there's some frost on rooftops and windshields. In all a lovely November morning.

As of now, I plan on doing some work on the layout, then clear the leaves off the patio. I keep putting off the winterization stuff, and one of these days I'm gonna wish I hadn't put it off, eh?

Gotta go, have a great weekend.

Joe

Good morning. It's 49° with 95% humidity. The high will be 67° and feel like 71°.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond20.jpg

I might need some help. Anybody here know how the rebuild a Franklin Ace10 BVI floppy disk drive? Just kidding. The day I can't rebuild one of those things with my eyes closed and one hand behind my back is a bad day. I had to take my old Franklin disk drive out of the stack this morning because it was showing verification errors on diskettes that have no errors, mostly in the higher tracks. Electronically there's nothing wrong. It's problem is strictly mechanical. In the bottom of the drive there's a stepper motor. Forget it, it's too large for most model railroad applications. On top of this is what I term the tracking disk. This is a flat platform with a spiral groove in it going from the outer edge to the central shaft. On this is mounted a metal apparatus that has a small ball bearing that rides in the groove. As the tracking disk rotates back and forth (yes it's bi-directional) it causes the apparatus with it's bearing to move back and forth and thus move the read/write head back and forth. When all this can happen smoothly things go very well. The problem is the groove is quite worn and is allowing the ball bearing to wiggle. This causes the metal apparatus to wiggle or shake and effects the alignment of the read/write head and can and often does skew data. This can be fixed by replacing the grooved disk. Problem is I don't have a parts drive at this time. I used the parts from it to rebuild a Mitac drive to take the place in the stack that the Franklin drive had occupied.

Today I hope to get started on the initial stage of Oliver's train adventure. I'm also watching for the mail delivery. My Happy Potter Deathly Hallows 2 DVD is coming today. In my spare time today I'm watching a rather long show called 'The Lost Room'.

BTW Do you think you'll be going to Jim Brewer's open house tomorrow?

Nope. I've got the youngest one for the weekend (He's driving his Mom crazy,,short trip I say..but maybe thats why she's the Ex :rolleyes:) So we will be diagnosing the no-forward gears on the truck, carrying in firewood, then setting up some of the module frames that I got from you and John Teichmuller so I can at least have an oval to go along with the 16 ft of straight modules in the basement. Nothing fancy like my modules, just a "plywood central" thing til I get back to work and can finish necessary work in the basement before the "real" layout work starts.
Yup, my weekend is spoken for! :D But at least I'll have trains running roundy round for now!

Glad I decided to take the Franklin drive apart before tossing it. The problem was easier to fix than I thought. In fact it wasn't being caused by what I thought it was. Well not quite. A reinforcing ring (looks like a large thin washer) from a diskette had worked it's way up under the tracking disk and was partially wrapped around the stepper motor shaft. I removed it and now the drive functions normally again. It cuts up a bit with CP/M but it always did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back