Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl, that was a magnificent job you did on that mike. Using the Pacific Mantua boiler reminds me of an old Bill Schoff (sp) article in a 1969 RMC. There he took the boiler off of a PFM SRR Ps-4 and mounted it on a PFM heavy Mike chassis to get an Elesco equipped SRR Ms-4 heavy Mike. (Back in them days the locos cost was $49.99 each!) He then built a small doghouse on the tender from the mike, out of some brass, again to make it correct for the SRR.

Only took PFM another 10 years to come out with the models for real!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kind of funny.....I ordered some small RC car wheels from Tower Hobbies. Selected cheap two dollar shipping. Thought it would be mail service but no it's United Parcel Service....UPS. Shipped out 10-30-13 from Illinois...and I'm in Ohio. So far it's been to New Jersey and now currently in Maryland. Says three business days left to go....Wednesday? It's taking a while but I'm really getting my money's worth on the mileage......lol! :rolleyes:

Well, you did specify cheapest shipping method. They are only trying to ensure your shipping cost is the lowest dollar-per-mile possible.

I used to live in Riverside, California. I ordered some parts from Athearn in Long Beach, California. That's about 30 miles from where I lived. UPS sent the package to Atlanta, then Milwaukee, then Seligman, Arizona, before sending them to Riverside. After that, Raul at Athearn and I both agreed when I ordered something, just put a note on it "hold for pickup"...:rolleyes:

Shipping is goofy.

I'm in Maryland, just sent a package to Tobyhanna Pennsylvania. Why it went to my local PO, to Baltimore (expected), then to Rocky Mount N.C., then to Tobyhanna is beyond me. Since when is backtracking profitable??

Shipping is goofy.

I'm in Maryland, just sent a package to Tobyhanna Pennsylvania. Why it went to my local PO, to Baltimore (expected), then to Rocky Mount N.C., then to Tobyhanna is beyond me. Since when is backtracking profitable??
Reminds me of a few business deals I've been involved in: buy high, sell low, make it up in volume.

That's a lot of mileage those items are racking up.

A couple of days ago I ordered an A2M0003 Apple disk drive. It's taking the short route it seems. Started off from Orangevale, California. Stopped briefly at West Sacramento, California. It's now in Shreveport, Louisiana. Tomorrow it'll be in Leesville and soon after in my hands.

I have a CP/M co-processor card coming from White Plains, New York. So far it's gone from one sort facility to another sort facility and has yet to leave White Plains. We'll see what route it takes. I also have another disk drive (LaPorte, Indiana) and a DVD (Las Vegas, Nevada). It may be fun to see where they go also.

Good morning. It's 50° with 87% humidity. The high will be 67°. There will be some clouds.
cond026.gif

I may do some work on Paradise Cove today if I get the chance and if I feel like it. Other than that I have no plans.

252.jpg

251.jpg

250.jpg

There was a train sale...:rolleyes:
I went to my LHS today, and they were having a sale on all HO locomotives, 50% off store price. I couldn't resist, and got an A-B set of Genesis B&O F7s, an Intermountain SD40-2W in CN, and an Athearn RTR SD40 in ATSF. Other than a couple of minor missing parts on the CN unit, everything looks and works great. The sale is running until probably next weekend, so I may make a return visit. There was a second SD40 calling my name while I was there today, but my credit card started smoking, and I had to leave the extra engine there.
Yesterday I ordered two kato gevo BNSF swoosh locomotives and six different number atlas 52' gondolas. The gondolas had been reduced from $11 down to $8 each. That was a bigger than usual order for me.....and I sometimes swallow hard shortly afterwards. But later on hearing about your recent train sale booty......I felt good. :D

I went to the National Model Railroad Association Kate Shelley Division Train Show yesterday. I told myself that I wasn't going to spend over $20 which included the $5 entrance fee and was able to get a CNW Accurail ACF 3-Bay Covered Hopper for $5 and a CNW system timetable from 1981 for $8.

Good afternoon all,
It's a very nice day in Coarsegold with a temp of 64.0 °F and Humidity of 35% going for a low of 41.0 °F to night.

I've been getting my switches/turnouts [3] of them adjusted leading over to the Whiskey siding and will be out working on them shortly and hopefully get some more rail laid.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day and good week ahead.

Terry ... Your coal train video is very impressive.
Karl .... Your 2-8-2 is very impressive.

Here is my kitbashed Diner-Parlor-Observation, Silver Fountain.

zzSilverFountainHL01.jpg

Very nice work on the Silver Fountain.

Well I didn't get a chance to do anything on Paradise Cove today other than confirm it's still on the diskette and make sure I have a viable duplicate of it. My father and stepmother kept me tied up doing little things they're more than capable of doing themselves.

I checked the tracking and see that my new CP/M co-processor card has departed White Plains. My new A2M0003 Apple disk drive is in Shreveport and should be here tomorrow. Those two items are for my mothers old Apple //e. My A2M4050 Apple //c external disk drive has just made it into the mail. That item was modified to work on an Apple 650-X104 drive controller and is therefore a candidate for my Frankenstein collection.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

247.jpg

248.jpg

P1010001-43.jpg

Came across this video of mostly still pics of strange and extreme locos (some which we know well) and between 4:39min and 5:48min there were 2 examples (1 by the Russians) of jet engine powered, i.e. roof mounted engines, and I remembered there was some discussion quite a while back of a model that featured that setup. Well, as the saying goes, "there's a prototype for everything". The rest of the vid makes good viewing as well, specially at the end where there are concept drawings for some that never touched a rail.
[YOUTUBE]iajwyx02Hqw[/YOUTUBE]

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Mon 11/4/13

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

COFFEE_POURING-Copy.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High temperatures will remain steady at 48 degrees with mostly cloudy skies. Winds will remain steady around 14 miles per hour from the southeast. No precipitation is expected.

2mfc7lu.jpg

I received my Keyspan serial adapter today from the Aussie source I found on the "net", thinking I would have it within a few days of ordering only to find I could have done the same as they did, order it from the US direct and saved myself the internal AU postage. So much for shopping locally. Now to find out how to put it to use.

Good Morning:

It was 26° when the cat woke me up at 0647 this morning. That's the coldest since last year. It's been a year since the surprise November snow storm, when my snow thrower refused to start. I should check it out today, before I need it again!

*@$!!##^&* NJ Devils were shut out twice over the weekend - Time to fire someone! At least the Football Giants (Midgets) didn't lose (bye week).

I managed to take out 6' of ME C-70 without destroying it. I proceeded to remove a very bad section of roadbed and sub road bed, and partially replaced the sub road bed. Hopefully, that will eliminate a nasty vertical curve that my SD40 doesn't like.

Karl, that's a nice 2-8-2; Garry, good job on the Silver Fountain, and Terry, that was a good find with the F7s. Coal train looks great.

Gotta go, there are more leaves to eradicate.

Joe

Good morning. It's 51° with 93% humidity. The high will be 72°. Cloudy.
condmc-1.jpg

I intend to get some work done on Paradise Cove today. I want to get Nelson Street finished. Then I can start programming the variables for the character to play in the train room at 1020 Nelson Street. I wonder how long it would take to program in a Gomez Addams type smash. Somehow I'm going to incorporate the character into the action taking place. Now to put him on the layout to see what's happening from a railfan perspective or do I put him ON the train. That's the fun of these things.

My A2M0003 Apple disk drive should be getting here today. The CP/M card is still showing as having departed White Plains. Did I fail to mention this has never been out of it's box except for photography? I can't see a brand name on it anywhere. The only marking on the box is 'Interface'. It might get here tomorrow but I'm betting more on Wednesday. The Apple //c A2M4050 disk drive is still showing 'Electronic shipping info received' so I may get it by Friday.

236.jpg

IMAGE13.jpg

P1010004-26.jpg

Good morning folks

Well, it looks like the college search and volleyball recruiting for my daughter may actually be reaching its conclusion sooner than we expected. We have a phone this evening to help understand a few things. Then there will be a big phone tomorrow followed by some more phone calls and a bunch of emails. If all goes well either tomorrow or Wednesday we may have a big announcement.

Then I can get back to model railroading and the forums. Even my daughter says it is time to get back to it.

I could have c lose to a year and then it starts all over with my son and I may need to take a crash course in men’s collegiate tennis.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Hey Guys,

Raining and about 45 at the southwest corner of Lake Superior. Worked on some of my ebay treasures this weekend.

IMG_4848.JPG

I finally won one of these. Came with a broken step and the trucks were broken too. Will paint over the step and call it good, up grade the trucks with roller bearings. Filling in the holes with JB weld, drilling new holes, maybe use the washers for shims, add KD couplers.

IMG_4849.JPG

Antique built up stock car. Decided to add ladders, KD couplers, and brake wheel. A drop of weld holds the ladder firmly in place.

IMG_4850.JPG

Have fun today!

logandsawman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back