Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy birthday, Barry!

Carey - sorry you and your wife are sick. Hope you both rebound and that your washer situation is handled to your satisfaction.

Carey, Hope She and You feel better soon!

​Barry....Happy Birthday!......Hope She likes the floor!

Barry - Happy Birthday!

Carey - bummer about you and your wife being sick. And your washing machine experience sounds typical - they all seem to fail much sooner these days ever since we sent all our appliance manufacturing to China. We had a problem with our washing machine ~18 months ago, one of the motors failed. Our appliance insurance company (AHS) sent two different repair companies out, insisting that it was repairable. After 4 weeks [and who knows how many wasted tech man-hours], AHS was finally convinced that the machine had to be replaced. Well, d'oh...we knew that from the beginning! At least we got a much nicer washing machine in the end.

. . .
I brought my laptop and my malfunctioning USB-to-serial adapter to a friend of mine's house. When he plugged everything into his command station it worked like a charm. I got it back home and tried it and it still doesn't work, gives me the same error message as before. [I started a separate thread on this topic.] I guess it simply is not in my Destiny to ever use DecoderPro with my system.

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Wednesday, September 25, 2013

anim_coffee.png

POUR_COFFEE.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High in the low 70s and a chance of rain.
train-clipart-5.png

I brought my laptop and my malfunctioning USB-to-serial adapter to a friend of mine's house. When he plugged everything into his command station it worked like a charm. I got it back home and tried it and it still doesn't work, gives me the same error message as before. [I started a separate thread on this topic.] I guess it simply is not in my Destiny to ever use DecoderPro with my system.

Ken, do you Yahoo? There is a group for JMRI there (http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/jmriusers) Lots of help there from the collaboration that writes and updates it. They've helped me with questions in the past, bet they can help you too, oh you poor Windoze 8 user.

Wow, spellcheck didn't even flinch at Windoze, must be correct then! :rolleyes:

Seems to me that all these latest "upgrades" are geared toward tablets and smartphones and to get them to work on much smaller hardware, they've had to strip (steamline in their promotional lingo) a lot of the things that made desktops and notebooks easy to use. One of the car forums I'm on here in Aus thought they were being smart in upgrading from vB3, jumping over vB4 to vB5. What a mess.

Wow, spellcheck didn't even flinch at Windoze, must be correct then! :rolleyes:

Something wrong with your spellcheck. Mine flagged it immediately. In fact says spellcheck isn't right either. It should be spell check or spell-check. For windoze it offers up win doze, win-doze, window. Didn't see windows in the list. Sometimes I wonder.

Good Morning...

Nice and chilly out...only 35 out right now...supposed to get to 70 later on though, in the sunshine!

Well, we had the floor talk and she now sees it MY way....heeheehee...

Anyhow, got stuff to do, people to see, things to clobber together...have a good one!!

PS....it wasn't a Vista issue???...I'm sticking with Windows 7 here...all my music production stuff works nicely on 7....

Good morning. It's 68° with 96% humidity and patchy fog. The high will be 92° and will feel like 97°.
cond026.gif

Nothing planned for today. I've gone about as far as I can on the F3's. Need to find something else to work on now. Still got the Other Apple IIe in the closet in my room. It needs a drive controller and a couple other things. I can look for them while I'm looking for another project.

Things got so slow online yesterday afternoon that along about 6:30 I finally said the heck with it and shut the computer down. I went into my room and fired up the XBox 360 and played Wolfenstein for a while. Didn't get much of anywhere but I did discover some neat ways to get killed. It doesn't help when the controller cuts out. Afterward I used the XBox for another of it's functions. I put in a DVD and watched Tron, the only DVD movie I have here. I really need to send someone over to my place and bring back a Wal-Mart bag full of DVD's so I can have something to watch.

IMAGE101.jpg

P1010013-2.jpg

Something wrong with your spellcheck. Mine flagged it immediately. In fact says spellcheck isn't right either. It should be spell check or spell-check. For windoze it offers up win doze, win-doze, window. Didn't see windows in the list. Sometimes I wonder.

Spell check seems OK, I flags spellcheck , I just ignored it. Windoze it lets pass, win doze win-doze, it just puts the gray "grammar" line under, and windows is fine. :rolleyes:

Good afternoon from Sunny but cool Central Calif,
Lets see what Wunderground [Auf Deutch - In German Vunderground] Weather says; 65.4 °F going for a high of 70 °F with a Hum-idit-y of 53% and a low of 46 °F tonight. The Wind thought is atroscious [underlined as incorrect yet it is correct?] with GUSTS of 1Mph! LoL

Yesterday early evening I took a run over to John's place in Raymond to take a look at his HO 1890's era Raymond & Knowles layout as he has a rather large mountain area on one corner of his layout that is probably about 6' x 5' in an 'L' shape, built with foam construction and and he just finished applying dirt in between a fair number of rock castings he did using Woodland Scenics rock molds and it looks very good. I kind of wish I had taken progress shots to show. After thoughts.

I did some more work on my layout after I came back and today, Wednesday, at 2:00 Pm I'm going over to Ken Offenbach's place to take a look at his 7" gauge, I believe, 7"s to the foot, Live-Steam trains which is only a couple of miles from me. Wish I also found some other model railroaders in HO etc that were also close by.

Enjoy the day!

Not much going on here today. I worked on the F3's a little. They now all have diaphragms and when two units are placed back to back they actually meet. I was digging through some of the old desks in the office here and I came across some video disks. That's right. Video CD's. Four to be exact, two movies worth. One is Tron which I watched last night on DVD on the XBox. The other is Gone in Sixty Seconds, the 1974 version. I had forgotten I had these. I brought them down here shortly after Katrina as the computer had just CD capability then. They had been transferred to DVD legally years before. VCD's won't work on the XBox but they work fine on the computer here in either the DVD drive or the CD drive with equal clarity. So tonight I'm watching Gone in Sixty Seconds.

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Thursday, September 26, 2013

anim_coffee.png

POUR_COFFEEa.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High in the mid 70s and no rain.
TOY_TRAIN.png

Good morning. It's 82° with 49% humidity. The high will be 92° and will feel like 97°.
cond026.gif

Nothing much going on here this morning. It took me several hours just to get a simple virus scan done. Swepco, the local power company wasn't making it easy. Four times this morning they managed to mess up the transfers which resulted in momentary power outages. I'm about to the point that I just want to snatch up the first Swepco lineman I come across and tie him up in increasingly smaller and tighter knots. And I have the size and appearance that would make one think I could do it too despite being minus half a leg. I can get around on my knees fairly well for a short distance.

My father just took off on an errand to Lowe's to get some things he needs for household projects. So I gave him a list of things I want. A Dremel 7-bit set ranging from 1/32" to 1/8" (he noted that I already have one and I pointed out it has three broken bits and Lowe's doesn't sell the bits individually), some cheap flat black spray paint and a small container of lacquer thinner.

P1010012-4.jpg

P1010022-1.jpg

Jeffrey, it's a PIA when the power is unreliable. I've used the APC brand battery backups on my desktops for years. Hopefully they'll be using lithium batteries soon which have a much longer life span.

No crystal ball?

About a year ago or less, the amount of N scale items for sale/auction on ebay was around 61,000. Today it's 70,500. That's a 15% increase. I did not see this coming. :eek::confused: :rolleyes:

About a year ago or less, the amount of N scale items for sale/auction on ebay was around 61,000. Today it's 70,500. That's a 15% increase. I did not see this coming. :eek::confused: :rolleyes:

But of that 15% increase, how much of it is either a) worthless junk that nobody would buy or b) grossly overpriced stuff
If it doesn't sell, ebay will relist it for free! :rolleyes:
All the scales are seeing that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back