Coffee Shop XXXIX-9/21/2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benn busy since this afternoon. Put some groceries away. Then got started on Paradise Cove again. I've added a few properties and homes today. I'm in the middle of programming in the home at 912 Nelson Street. When Nelson Street is done I'll get started on Aurora Drive.

Well it's time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010408.jpg

P1010227-22.jpg

Good early morning, it's1:38 Am
Today the weather was quite different from what was forecast. Last night in the early morning it was Drizzling and when I got up around 9:30 Am it looked as though it had somewhat cleared up yet the sky was cloudy and the air felt quite cool. It didn't take too long till it started in with a light rain which turned into Hail about 1/8" diameter and then it turned into a fairly heavy rain which lasted for a couple of hours or so along with thunder and lightening and it came down pretty darn good then.

So then after checking all over to ensure no leaks inside the house or garage which is completely finished off with a ceiling and shows where there has been leaks in the past, I found no leaks which was great!

So I started do do more work getting the new turnout almost completed but then figured I'd better go around and seal off the ceiling registers that allow the cool air from the cooler to be dumped into the various rooms to help the place warmer as it's quite cold tonight.

I'm not too far from being completed with the Right hand curved turnout and I'll get that done tomorrow and then I can start laying some track using the Central Valley tie strips which should go a lot faster, I think?

It's 2:00 and I'm beat so talk with every one later on.

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Tue 10/29/13

123wgu9.jpg

POUR_COFFEEa-Copy.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High temperatures will range from 53 to 58 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Winds will remain steady around 7 miles per hour from the southeast. No precipitation is expected.

29pp7ya.jpg

Bill- that coffee smells GREAT!
Now, I need to go find a hot cup I can enjoy in my hand.

I spent last night working on the club layout, getting it put together on the third floor of McWane Sceince Center in Birmingham.
The Holiday train show begins on Nov 9th and we will have fewer model train layouts this year to keep running.
McWane has new management this year and I don't know what they have planned for the future Holiday shows.
Well, we have to get through this season and we will wait to see what the future will bring.

Good afternoon all,
It a fairly decent day, cloudy and cool but the sun is shining through too and everything is nice and wet as we had .52" of rain. The temp is 58 °F going for a high of 66 °F supposedly and a low of 43 °F tonight. The Humidity is 45%.

I didn't get the the Whiskey Switch finished last night but it should be easy to finish today and then I'll get some rail laid, Hoorah hoorah!!

Say Mickey, That's commendable that your working on the club layout in an attempt to bring in new younger members into this great hobby!

Hope your day goes well too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of getting younger people into the hobby, one of the kids that lives across the street from our club is a frothing at the mouth model train nut. He is 10 years old, and he comes over every Sunday to join us for running trains. Those of us there on Sundays are strongly encouraging him, as is his mother.
Of course, the subject came up at a business meeting. We have been directed to tell his mother to join the club, paying full dues for the membership, and then she can bring him over and stand next to him while he runs trains on our club layout. How many of you think this is going to happen? And how many others think this is a good way to encourage new members and interest in model railroading?

Well, I think the basic idea is good, but the implimentation sounds heavy handed and may have exactly the reverse effect, i.e. A budding future members interest and membership could be still born.

Did some more work on Paradise Cove today. Today was fun with garden gnomes for one thing. On one property block the character comes across a back yard that's littered with garden gnomes and almost immediately he's being bothered by them. One kicks his foot. If he leaves the back yard then comes back another one will climb his leg and bite his knee. There's about five things they can do then it resets to the first one. When he gets into the house he's safe from the gnomes. I still have four houses and properties to do on Nelson Street then I'll start on Aurora Drive.

In the house I'm working on now the character can find a train pass taped under the dining table. He'll find out what it's for later.

Speaking of getting younger people into the hobby, one of the kids that lives across the street from our club is a frothing at the mouth model train nut. He is 10 years old, and he comes over every Sunday to join us for running trains. Those of us there on Sundays are strongly encouraging him, as is his mother.
Of course, the subject came up at a business meeting. We have been directed to tell his mother to join the club, paying full dues for the membership, and then she can bring him over and stand next to him while he runs trains on our club layout. How many of you think this is going to happen? And how many others think this is a good way to encourage new members and interest in model railroading?

Its a good idea, and a bad idea.
Our club's solution for the under 18 crowd? 10-16 years are welcome to join. They pay dues, 50% of the regular rate. They need also a full member to sponsor them (mentor) and their parent/guardian must stay with them. WE ARE NOT A BABYSITTING SERVICE. They can enjoy all of the club's activities, but have no voting rights.
16-18 years old. Same deal, except parents need not be present. The sponsor/mentor gets that job.
18 and up, 6 month probationary membership pending a club vote on full membership, just like any adult member !:cool: Members who join prior to age 17 1/2 can become full members on their 18th birthday if voted in.

Remember the house I said I was working on? The one with the train pass hidden in it? Well it also has a BIG (HUGE!) train room! Sorry O and N Scalers. It's HO, 1st and 2nd gen diesels, EMD's mostly. Time frame around 1970's, south-central US.

When the character finds the room he won't know how to activate the layout until he searches the room. IF he has the train pass his search will be successful. On the control panel he'll find a metal box with a slit in the side. Below the slit it says 'Insert Control Card Here!' If he doesn't have the pass well forget it! He won't find squat! At this point the player (if he found the card, and believe me, the game knows whether it was found or not) can insert the card by typing in "INSERT CARD". I bet you were expecting something creative. The program will go to a separate set of routines that are just for the layout. A control panel will light up displaying buttons that can be pushed to initiate certain actions (or disasters) on the layout and the action will be described. But when it's over it's over and the character has to leave. The layout can't be run again during THAT game sequence. In other words the game must be started over or the character has to (GASP!) die.

Owing to the fact that I feel like crap and I'm shaking like leaf (got the heater blasting at 81 here in the office and I'm shivering to beat the band). I'm going to call it a night and hand this over to my spellchecker. I know it's going to light up like a Christmas tree. See y'all tomorrow, I hope.

This is what I need to get out of my chair right now!
IMAG0182.jpg

P1010143-1-1.jpg

gr4.jpg

That sounds like a great way to go, Karl. I would think a lot of clubs would take that approach.

Another idea might be to team up with a Boys and Girls Club, a Scout troop, or some other responsible youth organization. Just a thought...

From the DairyStatePhone

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Wed 10/30/13

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

High temperatures will range from 60 to 66 degrees with partly cloudy skies. Winds will remain steady around 11 miles per hour from the southeast. No precipitation is expected.

trainwreck.png

Good morning. It's 67° with 97% humidity. The high will be 82°.
condmc-1.jpg
with a
cond40.jpg

Still not feeling much better than I did last night. I'll probably do some more work on Paradise Cove today. I want to get Nelson Street done before I start on the train room subroutines.

IMAG0007.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Good morning Guys, it's 11:48 Am
It's a fairly nice day out and slightly cool but that fine with me, I had more than enough of the hot weather. I'd take a guess and say the outside temp is about 65 but lets see what WW says? But first, being that I'm here at Flo's Dinner it time for some more hot coffee, say Francine, could I get some more hot coffee & would you or Flo fix some eggs & sausage paddies with mushrooms for me and some multi-grain bread with real butter and Strawberry jam? Thanks, that would be great!

Well lets see what WW says, I guess my guess from before wasn't too far off as they say: 61.0 °F - Feels Like 59 °F & the Humidity is 41% with a low tonight of 39 °F, so the weather is definitely changing.

Work building the turnout for the Whiskey Switch only progressed slightly last night but it should be an easy job to get it finished this afternoon.

Oh, I've had a couple more run-in's with the damn Turkeys but I think maybe the four of them have left for good this time as I'm not leaving more water out for the animals. They are truely pests!

Say Terry: I'll have to agree with Toot and Karl that, that line of thinking is only liable to build hard feelings due to being too stringent with a young budding model railroader. Besides, most young single mothers are having a tough time to make ends meet in this economy and it very possibly would create hard feelings with her too!

Its a good idea, and a bad idea.
Our club's solution for the under 18 crowd? 10-16 years are welcome to join. They pay dues, 50% of the regular rate. They need also a full member to sponsor them (mentor) and their parent/guardian must stay with them. WE ARE NOT A BABYSITTING SERVICE. They can enjoy all of the club's activities, but have no voting rights.
16-18 years old. Same deal, except parents need not be present. The sponsor/mentor gets that job.
18 and up, 6 month probationary membership pending a club vote on full membership, just like any adult member !:cool: Members who join prior to age 17 1/2 can become full members on their 18th birthday if voted in.

Say Karl: I think the idea your club is using is fairly fair and something a younger guy can can work into but again remember these times and our boozo economy is rough on them too so don't make it too strict. My $0.02 worth.

Say Jeffrey: Those are some very interesting shots along the Railroad line. The shot showing the new spur being laid was interesting being that it was unbalasted. Reminds me of my layout. Also the shot at the station showing the old buckboard is quite unique too. These are all in your area I assume?

Oh, the shot of 698 only loads to just below the Cab windows and quits? Wouldn't you know-it, now when I post this the picture loads completely! Go Figure!!

And what are the piles of in the yard area, are those Rail Ties?

I hope every one has an enjoyable day.

Actually, the primary line looks like it could do with rebalasting itself and that cart, if the wheels are wooden spoked, could be a picker's opportunity.

Say Jeffrey: Those are some very interesting shots along the Railroad line. The shot showing the new spur being laid was interesting being that it was unbalasted. Reminds me of my layout. Also the shot at the station showing the old buckboard is quite unique too. These are all in your area I assume?

Oh, the shot of 698 only loads to just below the Cab windows and quits? Wouldn't you know-it, now when I post this the picture loads completely! Go Figure!!

And what are the piles of in the yard area, are those Rail Ties?
The loco is KCS 698, an SD40-3. The piles you see as I remember those were ties. They were busy putting more than a mile of track to extend one of the tracks through the yard. Trains are broken up and made up here and a mile of track wasn't cutting the mustard. Those photos were taken on Feb 24th, 2008. At least that's the date on the railfan file.

Actually, the primary line looks like it could do with rebalasting itself and that cart, if the wheels are wooden spoked, could be a picker's opportunity.
The primary line has been reballasted since the time that photo was taken which was about five years ago. The old farmers wagon was a rotted wreck when it was donated to the Museum*. One of the local scout troops rebuilt it back in the 90's I believe. In 2008 it was once again in need of attention and the last time I saw it the poor thing was a basket case.

* Museum of West Louisiana.

Say Karl: I think the idea your club is using is fairly fair and something a younger guy can can work into but again remember these times and our boozo economy is rough on them too so don't make it too strict. My $0.02 worth.

Not to worry, club dues are just $5 dollars a month , been that way since 1995, a bargain at that price per month, 2.50 a month is a steal for the under 18 crowd!

Got the truck running today after 10 months or so of sitting alongside the garage. Jr. and I got it in the garage a few weeks back, then I fell and cracked my wrist. Finally the hand felt good enough to wrestle with the steering column today. After removing the steering wheel and covers, there wasn't much to replacing the switch at all. Took the screws out of the old switch, it fell out in pieces! :rolleyes: Guess it was bad, huh??:rolleyes: Before, truck would just crank, gauges didn't work nor the stereo. Now the truck starts and runs, gauges work, but the FM band of the stereo doesnt work???? Cd and AM band are fine:confused:
Jr. is supposed to be down this weekend, he'll look at the transfer case & trans to determine wazzup with them. Also found a couple of lights that mysteriously died while the truck was dormant:confused:

Trainwise I weathered the Oscar-Meyer weiner car, and started on a Accurail bi-level open auto rack. I needed a break from the Mikado, I'll be back on that shortly.

Then I have to do a Trinity hopper rebuild, finish 3 Midland engines, a Wm F7a, then a Pennsy Atlantic (Penn Line) repower & DCC, Repower my Canton SW7 with a Kato NW2 chassis, repaint & remotor a brass WM FM DRS-1500, then another Lima C420 in D&H, then who knows what else. Wife loves it, I don't have time to go out with my buddies and carouse and chase women! :rolleyes:

Our club is $100 a year, but we just implemented a lot of unpopular dues increases. Dues jumped by 65%, and are now $165 per year, with no discounts. Members that had a lifetime membership now have to start paying dues again.
Becoming a member is a 6 month process, and the probationary member has to be voted in by the membership.
I set something of a record when I became a member, performing all my assignments and taking all tests needed within my first month. I still had to wait another 5 months before becoming a full member.
Somehow, I can't see a single mom spending six months to become a member at $165 per year just so she can stand around every Sunday and watch her kid play with trains.

We pause for this announcement: And the World Series is over. "I love it when baseball players get excited," says DairyStateMom. "They're just so cute!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back