Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

Sure is quiet around here without Jeffery, innit? I don't answer his comments often but enjoy reading them.

Going all the way to 52 here today...heat wave! Had an unexpected four day weekend, but not a very pleasant one, as three days of it were spent dealing with that stomach bug that's all over the Midwest. It's a nasty little bugger. My son brought it home and within three days my wife, daughter and I all developed it within a few hours of each other. Feeling human finally today.

Had to get a new laptop. The upcoming demise of XP, coupled with an aging tower with it's own set of issues, and such I just figured why not? I get 10 years or so out of a machine. Learning Windows 8. Interesting. The touch screen is nice but twitchy sometimes. The speed is nice. Life remains interesting...:rolleyes:

Corey .... Hmmmm Your wife got an Avalanche and you got an Infinity. It was the reverse here at our house. My wife had an Infinity FX45, but her FX45 was later traded in for a Cad SRX. .... I really like the Avalanche. It was one of the first ones made. It's a 2002, and it has never had a mechanical problem except for the time the family cat was under the hood when I started it. The serpentine belt broke and the cat used one of its 9 lives. She was a bit bloody and a lot of fur was pulled out, but she recovered. .... The Infinity FX45 was not comfortable for me to drive on long trips. I could never position the drivers seat to fit me.

It seems a little funny looking at the situation! After tangling with an 18 wheeler a few years ago with her trailblazer and walking away with a bruise, she's convinced she needs a truck to stay safe. I wanted a truck of sorts to haul remodeling materials so it's a win win. Fortunately, she works two miles from our house so the gas mileage thing doesn't really come into play! I view the situation as a perfect combo, truck/SUV and a sports sedan.

Good afternoon.

40F, steady rain, and 20mph winds blowing here in Central MD. Totally miserable.

A perfect day to be indoors running trains or working on the layout!:D

Good afternoon.

40F, steady rain, and 20mph winds blowing here in Central MD. Totally miserable.

A perfect day to be indoors running trains or working on the layout!:D

Agreed! Got out to the LHS in the rain,,,then Wally World. Settled down to watch NASCAR with the wife, looked outside, and it was snowing!! :eek: That was 2 hours ago,,,,it still snowing!:eek:
Total bovine excrement I tell you!! :rolleyes:

Agreed! Got out to the LHS in the rain,,,then Wally World. Settled down to watch NASCAR with the wife, looked outside, and it was snowing!! :eek: That was 2 hours ago,,,,it still snowing!:eek:
Total bovine excrement I tell you!! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that. Its the first day above 60 here this year. I forgot what it was like to be outside in a t shirt. I'm sure now that I am mocking you it will snow here again.

Matt

Karl.

Keep that snow in MD, eh? Bad enough the rain is causing floods and the lack of wind is causing fog here. Temps stayed in the 40s all day, gradually dropping from the other day. Baseball Opened on West Coast tonight. And I did spend quality time working on the layout.

Joe

Orioles season opener is here tomorrow,,,,,,,after the shovel off the field!

I had high hopes for the Birds last season.......Hope they find the successful combination this year......what it's been since 1983? I still have the (Baltimore) Channel 2 World Champion Orioles bumper sticker on my tool chest in the garage......been too long, so the O's are about due. Here they whine if the Yankees don't make it every year...uh,....up here they just whine!:rolleyes:

Joe

Good Morning!

It's Mon 3/31/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

trainwreck.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good Morning!

37°, and overcast right now in Central Jersey. True to tradition, when I first woke up, it was snowing. It always snows on opening day in NY. [Washington vs. Mets at Citi Field].

Since I acquired a Bachmann GG1, I have been trying things to make my shelf queen BLI GG1s to run on the layout. Some of it is tweaking the track by adding cross elevation on curves, the rest is the locomotive. Specifically the pony trucks do not have sufficient tension to remain on the rails over anything other than straight track,
There is another problem with the quirky QSI sound decoder, but that's a worry about it later project. I will probably devote some time to this again today.

March 30 2014.jpg
The one on the outermost station track is the BLI - problem child :rolleyes:. If I were to get these right, I think I might be tempted to string catenary:eek:.

Time is running out, yesterday, the wife started her seed sets for the tomatoes and peppers. Yea! Spring!

Joe

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 64. Supposed to be 80 by Wednesday. Last week at this time, it was raining and snowing.
Hopefully Running Bear will make it back to the forum in a few days.

For those of you following the project, I got the 2 Loksound decoders for the pair of U18Bs I have. Installation went well, though some basic instructions and a list of CVs would have helped. After installation, I found the sound much better than the factory QSI sound. It should be even better when they send out the correct speakers, so I can ditch the 16 ohm speakers.

Good morning. It's clear and 44, heading for a high of 79. It's hard to believe last Tuesday I was watching it snow here. Looking at the ten day forecast, it looks like the cold weayher is behind us until next fall.
Of course, I have thought that before, fairly recently...

Helloooooo!!!!
Anybody in here?!!!
Currently, it looks like Bill and I are talking to ourselves.

Good afternoon.
Currently 82 and lots of sun. Not that I'm complaining, but it would be nice to have spring, instead of going from winter directly to summer in less than a week. Last thursday's high here was 42.

Well, I hope the first official day of retirement is not the way I have to spend the rest of my life.

The wild onions and weeds stand tall in my yard and wave at all the passing cars. I got a couple gallons of fresh gas for the lawn tractor yesterday, so I could begin cutting the grass early today.
I got started about 9:30 AM and made it a couple times around the yard. Suddenly, the tractor is hard to steer and a back tire is coming off the rim.
It takes me an hour to PUSH the mower onto the driveway, FIND my hydraulic jack and lug wrench in my pickup and get the wheel off.
A technician at the tire dealer laughs as I pull the wheel out of my truck..... and points to two other tractor tires beside the door.

As I am getting a ticket written up, the tech comes in and tells me there in no puncture in the tire. He shows me cracks in the rubber and says only a tube will hold air. Since a new tire is over $90 bucks, I elect the tube option. ( More money to spend on trains!)

Finally, I finish the grass cutting about 2:30 PM in the heat of the day.
Things have got to get better!

Back