11-23-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Good morning Bill & fellow forumites,

Is anybody here this morning - or are you all out participating in that mass-hysteria known as "Black Friday"? As for me, I'll do my Christmas shopping next week and try to schedule it for times when fewer shoppers are likely to be crowding the malls. Besides, I've got a kitbashing project to finish-up; might as well do that while I have this bit of precious & scarce free time. Then make myself a turkey hoagie for lunch.

Have a great day!

Good Morning Bill & Ken !! Looks like everyone is out or recovering from Turkey Day. As for myself I was up at 4:30 to run to our local Sears to get a washing machine for my daughter . Boy what a mess it was. I didn't have any problem getting my washer just waited for one cutomer ahead of me . The lines at the other counters were mass hysteria . The after I bought the washer people realized they could check out at any department so the appliance department was the mass hysteria also . Just glad to get my washer and out of that mess. Well goanna go get my morning coffee so you all have a nice Black Friday also !!!!!

"I'm Late, I'm late,
For a Very important date!"

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh! Need to slow down for a second or two. Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving yesterday or for those around the world a wonderful day as well! I have 24 hours before people start showing up at my house for a late Thanksgiving feast. I estimate I have about 30 hours of cleaning left to do. (I really should clean more often...) To make matters worse, last night I decided to clean the track on the layout. Figured it would take 45 minutes or so to at least run all the mainline a couple of times, and I could make sure that everything is running up to snuff. I grab my trusty DT400R, put in a 9v battery and fire up the system. Go to turn on the track power and...... dead short! So I figure I have left a pair of pliers somewhere on the block. Do a quick check of the area. Nothing. Check for derailed locos. Nope, not that. Visually inspect all the track for a stray "whatever" that could be causing a short. Nothing! Now I'm getting p!$$ed! So I climb under that layout a check the area that was working in last........ Grrrrrrr! Nothing that I can see. So, I disconnect the main wires on the booster. Comes right up. Now I know the booster is OK. So I start disconnecting at the sub buses. All the outer ones are OK. After about 2 and 1/2 hours of checking, I know that the problem is the first area right by the booster and where I was cutting into the layout this week. It is also the absolutely worst place on the layout to get to the wiring. I am, however, thankful for my insistence on using screw type terminal strips for the wiring. Much easier to troubleshoot by loosening a screw than cutting wiring. If I should get everything else done, I may get to finish troubleshooting the problem tonight. Really would be nice to have some trains running in the sceniced area tomorrow. I could run some in the other block....?

Hope you all have a good day and don't get stuck in line on BLACK Friday!!!!

Afternoon, all. I hope those of you who actually got up early to go to the mall have survived in one piece. I spent a peaceful morning in bed. :)

Ray, it's always the last thing you check and the hardest to fix. There's some kind of law about that. It was the same thing with my streetlights. the light that was bad was far away from the one I thought was bad and is going to require me to run a new drop to fix just one streetlight. But at least I don't have a flock of people coming tomorrow. :eek:

I'm kind of concerned about Jeffrey too. I hope he's just taking a few days off. I know he has some health issues so I hope he's OK.

Got my swamp done last night except for finding some HO snakes and an alligator. ;) It looks suitably overgrown and dank.

Speaking of dank, it's time for me to climb up in the attic and start getting all the Christmas stuff down. I just know I'm going to have an anjoyable afternoon untangling light strings. Every year I say I'm going to put them away neatly and every year I just stuff them back in bags and boxes. This is when you pay for your lack of organization. :D

I posted this in another thread as well. I must have been lost

Greetings folks. I hope everyone had a good turkey day. For those of you from the rest of the world, I hope you had a swell Thursday. I was at the in-laws for Thanksgiving. My father in-law had mentioned a while back that he had an American Flyer train set from his childhood. I asked him if he would show it to me the other day. He has all of the cars and scenery in their original boxes. It was so cool, I was like a kid opening a present on Christmas. He said that it doesn't run anymore. I volunteered to help him. Not that I know much about toy trains. I figured if he took me up on it, I'd find a way to learn how to fix it. Nobody else could figure out why we were so excited to look at old toys. The look on my father in-laws face when he opened the box was heart warming. You could tell that it brought back a lot of memories. He's one of the few in my family that really appreciates the modeling that I've done.

On a modeling note: I have recently commandeered a light blue, king size bed sheet from the linen closet. I hope to use this to cover that ugly fabric on the train room walls. In the future, I plan to try and paint my own backdrop. This new fabric will help me be patient enough to take my time in developing the skills necessary to paint a proper backdrop.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Hi everyone! No way was I going out shopping today or even be near any malls.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving day that actually got me in the spirit of the season. My nephew is a State Trooper Corporal and had a couple of rookies that were on duty with him. Since they were from another area of the state and away from their families, he asked if they could also come over when they all took a break. "Sure why not!" Well, there is nothing like 3 State Trooper cars parked at your house...knowing the neighbors thought there was a raid going on:eek: :D . I know one thing: all the booming bass cars remained silent when they went by the house:D :D .
Man, what a good day it was and I sincerely hope yours was the same.;) :)

Whew, remind me not to try the Wal*mart a 5am thing ever again! I guess my store only had one Laptop that was on sale for $388, and by the time I (#275 in the line!) got there, it was gone...

Got my glue & brackets though! The cashier knew me, so he comment was "Why'd you come here at 5am on the day after Thanksgiving for GLUE & these metal thingies?"

i was wondering about ole' jeffery my self, seemed he faded him self out from a few to one then no posts this week. i hope all is well.

it looks like i'm going to get some basement time this weekend. maybe ill get started on the framing. were still waiting on the doctors word about my grandfather as to wheather he's going to stay in assisted care or what ever, but never the less, he cant live on his own.

have a good weekend

Thanksgiving was OK this year Beef and noodles, none of that foul fowl. I went out and brought my parents from the nursing home to the house. They have turkey at least once a week so they did not miss it, Both daughters had other dinners to attend so they did not miss the turkey and my in-laws if they missed it tough shavonski. I think turkey is the nastiest of meats besides liver there is.
My modem died weds evening so I had to get the backup out and it only connects at 28.8 at its fastest. A few times it has only connected at 21.6. I have been checking into wireless internet, $24.95 a month with an installation fee of $99 for line of sight antenna to the microwave tower to $299 for a small dish. I can see the microwave tower from the back window but with the leaves in summer it cannot be seen. So I imagine it will have to be the dish. 30 unconditional money back guarantee .

Last edited:
about jeffery, across the street word has it that he is in the hospitle due to haveing to have his foot operated on. and will be back soon. thats all i know at this time

Leghome, you're not too far from me. Is cable not available where you are? I got my phone, TV, & internet from Brighthouse all for $99 a month. Not only is it cheaper then buying just two of those services seperately, but I also get cable speed on my internet. It's not the fastest, but it's not bad.

185160593.png

Hi all! I got me a NEW locomotive...brand spanking new BLI Blue Line SD7...
Union Pacific #776! My very first SOUND loco! Wowsa! I love it! I just cant believe it! Now I want more! Gonna have to save up for sound cards. I will not part with my current roster just need to upgrade them! A lota work for sure. I just love that sound! So cool on the start up and idle and notch ups and bell and horn etc...wooo wee!

My wife says when are you going turn it off? huh I cant here ya...LOL

It looks great in a lash up with my other 2 SD7s and my 2 SD9s. I have it on the point. Awesome! My other ones are Proto 2000 units 1 SD7 UP #778, 1 SD7 CNW #1724, 2 SD9s EMD demonstrators #990 & #991. Sweet it is!

Detail on this is not so bad as I heard them to be. I think they are still up to par.

I have a big order coming from e-bay for some serious upgrades on my rolling stock and engines. Trying to finish off the metal wheel sets and kadees as well as the remaining units to have all decoders installed. (Big $$$) My personal goal this winter!

Then I will get back on to finishing my kitbash remodel of my 2 GP60 Demonstrators EMD #5 & #7 that I started a thread on. Been gathering parts but slow getting them in.

Cya!

morning Gents, was going out early to photograph a steam excursion in the cold frosty morning sunshine,,,but then it went black and poured down so didn't bother,,, so an early start in the garage on the new portable layout
have a good weekend,

thoughts with Jeffery if he is in hospital, not the best place to be.

later

Hi gang,

It's calm and cold here in the mid 'Lantic. Kids all still fast asleep, enjoying the peace & quiet while it lasts. Today's the annual ritual where I excavate the Christmas Tree pieces out of the shed, wrestle them thru a series of narrow doors, and reassemble it in the family room. I'll try to get this done early as possible so I can get back to my modeling project.

I made alot of headway on my covered hoppers yesterday. Got all of the replacement vertical braces installed, and cutout all of the remaining cosmetic cover panels. Now the only thing left is to glue those on, so the toughest part of the project is over. (Except for the painting & decaling, thats a whole 'nuther story! :eek: )

Hope Jeffrey's recovering OK from whatever he had to go into the hospital for...

Josh, sorry you had to deal get stung by the Black Friday madness, hopefully you can find something in the way of a decent laptop for your wife...

Alco - sounds like you're having an early Christmas! :D IIRC, the detail complaints were mostly about BLI's earlier-run SD40-2. I think they used better tooling for their later offerings.

Steve, thats a bummer about the weather, reminds me of Maryland in the pre-draught days! BTW when are you going to Kiwi-land? Sure hope all that layout stuff you're doing is transportable...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back