Coffee shop part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Fellas;

Been kinda busy around here! Doing all kinds of railroading!:D:D Built a bunch of cars that are now needing decals. Painting one loco for a friend for the CB&Q!

He supplied the decals, but as luck would have it, there were only just enough decals to do the job once and once only. Guess who messed up! Now just waiting for the replacements I ordered to get here.:( Sometimes I could just kick myself, but this goes back to my time painting professionally. I can't stand to have a mistake, even if the customer wouldn't notice it, on a loco that I've painted.:mad: So, a soaking in solva-set to remove the offender, and a start over in that area.

Good evening gents

Just popping in for a quick 'hello', been involved in weathering some more covered hopper cars so I've been putting in alot of time at MTW, natch! Of course I'm really just hiding behind these weathering projects because I'm feeling too **** lazy to get my layout back into operating condition.:rolleyes:

Carey - I can sympathize, been there too many times myself! Whenever I print my own decals I always print double of what I think I'll need.

Daylight savings time hasn't really affected me, interestingly enough. In fact I woke up at 4:30am and couldn't get back to sleep. Now I can barely hold my eyes open long enough to compose this post. Think I'll go get some shut-eye - g'night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl, I sure wish I had spent some more time planning my yard layout. It's stub end when, with a little more planning, I could have made it double ended. Same thing with my interchange track. It's only useful for northbound trains since I didn't put in a runaround track so trains for either direction could back into and escape from the interchange. I didn't follow a lot of the basic rules that Chip writes about in his guide for beginners. Even though I'm not really a beginner, I made a lot of dumb beginner mistakes.

I read through Chip's writeup when I first started getting into the hobby (that was only about 4 months ago :eek: ) but I sure am glad that you reminded me of it. I have a pretty good grasp on what I want to do in the long run and it was comforting to read that and realize that my current "problems" are right on with getting it done right. Rereading it also helped me to figure out what I was getting stumped on as well and I think that I may have a couple of ideas in my head again. Hopefully I can get some photos of those ideas soon and get them posted here for scrutiny.

Thanks for the reminder. :)

He supplied the decals, but as luck would have it, there were only just enough decals to do the job once and once only. Guess who messed up! Now just waiting for the replacements I ordered to get here.:( Sometimes I could just kick myself, but this goes back to my time painting professionally. I can't stand to have a mistake, even if the customer wouldn't notice it, on a loco that I've painted.:mad: So, a soaking in solva-set to remove the offender, and a start over in that area.

That's a fantastic attitude to have right there. Pride in one's work is something that I really appreciate. I've been looking at some weathered boxcars on Ebay lately, since I really would like to see something in person before I try it for myself, and if I pull the trigger on something I hope to find the same pride in whoever else's work too. :cool:

03-13-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Menu3.png
waitress1.png

Good morning.

It's currently 48 degrees under partly cloudy skies. As with all things that's guaranteed to change and not necessarily for the better, We're expecting a high of 74 this afternoon with partly cloudy cloudy skies and a 40% chance of getting wet tonight.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/13/2008

Wind Chill: 48°F
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 46°F

So Far Today
High: 51°F
Low: 48°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNE

Today High: 75
Mostly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds up to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 60 Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Warmer. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds in the evening. Lows around 60. South winds around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010006-26.jpg

That's a fantastic attitude to have right there. Pride in one's work is something that I really appreciate. I've been looking at some weathered boxcars on Ebay lately, since I really would like to see something in person before I try it for myself, and if I pull the trigger on something I hope to find the same pride in whoever else's work too. :cool:

I appreciate the comments Carl. I had always prided myself in providing a paint job second to none for my customers. It was nothing for me to strip and repaint a locomotive 3-4 times due to a minor mistake that I knew the customer would never know about, or even see, but I wouldn't let it go at that. It had to be correct, or I redid it. That policy allowed my to deal with only two returns in over 25 yrs of custom painting.

Now that I no longer custom paint, I'm finally able to paint for just for myself, and a select few friends.;)

Funny thing about those cars on E-bay, with a little practice most anyone could turn out cars just as good, if not better. But for whatever reason, most folks aren't willing to take the time to learn how to do the same things for theirselves. Seems they'd rather pay the big :eek: money to get it "quick".

Morning all just thought I'd drop in and say hi been a while like page 41 of the last coffee shop lol
Lots been happening looks like I'm moving again in a couple of months this time thou to South carolina I'm going to be working for the VA. Medical center there. This can be a big bennifit to me as I will be able to use my military time towards retirement.

Just have to wait and make sure all is a go as will have to take a physical yet.

Good Mormorning Bill . Jeffrey ,Carey And long time ago Rt ! Glad to see you back in the coffee shop. Don't stay away so long . Just another gloomy day here in paradise.Looks like some wet snow and rain . Something to look forward to. Nothing much else going on son I guess i'll just get going and wish everyone a real nice kinda day !!!

HEY!!! Good morning everyone!

How goes it in your world? Not bad here!

So yesterday was pretty nice around here. Low 50's and clear, so the wife and I headed out for a walk around the neighborhood. Yup! I tossed her in the wheelchair and zipped her around the place. We call that thing her "hotrod". You know, the big back tires and all........ Anyways, it was nice to get out and have it not be FREEZING! And to top it off, it's supposed to be a little warmer today. We might even hit 60! But then tonight the rain starts and the temps drop again, so I guess we'll just enjoy it while it's here, huh?

You know, I sat up last night after dinner and played video games with my son until 11pm. He wanted to race me on a motorcycle racing game called Tourist Trophy. He'd been practicing all day and he thought he could take me. What he didn't know was that I beat the game some time ago. I hadn't played in a while though, so he beat me on the first race, but I pummeled him on the second. I threw the third race to keep it interesting, then trounced him the forth. For the tie breaker I took him to school and hung out just ahead of him the whole race, all the while talkin' smack to him. I had him all worked up by the end of that race!
105.gif
After that I helped him in the story mode. I won him a couple of good bikes that'll make him more competitive.

Hey RT, that job sounds like a real sweet deal for you! Hope it all works out!

So whats going on with you?

Good morning folks

It was 27 F this morning according to the van thermometer. High today will be 52 F. It looks like we have a chance of showers moving in for the next few days.

I am trying to get some things done in the office this morning. I need to go look at project. One of our not so trustworthy designers worked on it and I can’t make heads or tails of the thing. I am hoping a field view will clear up some of the issues.

No modeling again last night. We had Cub Scouts Den Meetings. Does not look like tonight either as I have Cub Scout training.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Morning everyone.

Daylight savings is messing with me a bit but not because of a lack of sleep. I'm driving to work in the dark again....although I did so the horizon this morning so I should get the light back soon. :)

Carey- People do seem a little eager to get some items. I would like to try to weather some things and based on the guidance from members here it shouldn't be overly difficult. I like to first hand so that I know my goals are so I look at purchasing somethong on Ebay.

Mornin' all!

RT good to see you! don't be stranger and I hope all goes well with the job. That would be great for you.

Carey and Carl it always amazing what people will pay to have someone else's weathered rolling stock on their layout. Yes, I know that there may be many good reasons (time being a big one). I would much rather have my own meager attempts at weathering looking terrible but proudly sitting on my layout than to have bought some one else's fantastic work. To each their own......... I do have to learn how o do a good job on weathering at some point now that I have a new air brush.

It is currently 29°F here in the Finger Lakes. They say it will get up to 40° later on with some rain and snow showers. hopefully the ice will melt off the driveway and the roof.......

Have a great day!

Mornin' all!

Carey and Carl it always amazing what people will pay to have someone else's weathered rolling stock on their layout. Yes, I know that there may be many good reasons (time being a big one). I would much rather have my own meager attempts at weathering looking terrible but proudly sitting on my layout than to have bought some one else's fantastic work. To each their own......... I do have to learn how o do a good job on weathering at some point now that I have a new air brush.
Have a great day!

Ray;

All it takes is practice, practice, practice!

I spent some weeks teaching myself to paint with an airbrush. When I got to where I could do that consistently, I started learning to "weather". Even on my worst jobs however, I was still proud of them, because I could say, "I did this!"

Nowadays, that phrase doesn't seem as popular as it once was, and if you say it in "certain internet communities", that instead of a compliement for a job well done, you get instead a "why didn't you just buy one from so-and-so?", or even worse a, "You did that just to spite me because you know I have a nerve injury in my left hand and can't build things anymore." (That was actually said to me on another forum a couple of years ago. :eek: Neither did I know he had a "bad" hand, how could I? I never met him face-to-face and he sure didn't talk about it. Needless to say I haven't been back.)

Afternoon all.

Phillip, pretty sneaky how you got your son on that game. I absolutely stink at video games - a five year old could beat me. I guess it's the eye hand coordination or something. Good to hear that you and the wife could get some fresh air without worrying about frostbite.

Paul, I can just hear you and the snowblower saying a common prayer for snow. :)

Carl, it's weird to see it dark again in the morning. It's not so bad if it's clear but it looks awfully gloomy if it's cloudy or raining.

Hello, RT, good to see you. I hope you VA job works out for you.

CJ, I can see you cared more about pride in your work than profit, which is a rare thing now. I can't say I'm quite the perfectionist that you are but I've started more than few projects over when it was clear they weren't going to come out right. I also agree about practice. Some of my first paint jobs were absolutely terrible but I got better as time went on and could finally take something to club without everyone laughing at it. :D Same with weathering. With all the chalks and weathering powders today, you can practice to your heart's content and not ruin a single car. They may not all come out looking like some of the real pro's I've seen but most of them will be good enough. Over time, you get better at that too. The one thing I learned is that no one car will ever be a superstar on a layout. They all kind of blend together. The important lesson to me was learning that the goal of weathering was making the whole layout blend together, not have shiny looking plastic and then weathered wood next to each other. With the exception of some of those spectacular graffiti jobs, I know I'm doing well when a freight rolls past and none of the cars stand out unless I planned it that way.

Sunny day and 75 degrees again here but some increasing clouds ahead of tomorrow's storm. It will be a close call on whether or not any of the storms get severe. This is one of those events where a slight change in something like the dew point makes the difference between just some thunderstorms or a lot worse weather.

Made a little video clip today and had one heck of a time getting it uploaded to You-tube because of the cable constantly going out. The stars of this video are the two Athearn F units I've had a problem with (see the 'Minor DCC problem' thread in the HO board). The third loco is a dummy. The two black locos you'll see on the other line are P2K E units running on Bachmann decoders. Now even though the two locos you're about to get a close look at are Athearn BB units you won't hear any Athearn growl. They have been re engineered so that they run very quietly and draw very little power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqGcVWv_22o

Good morning.

It's a nice 67 degrees here this morning under cloudy skies. Expecting a high of 81 under partly cloudy skies.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 3/14/2008

Wind Chill: 67°F
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 65°F

So Far Today
High: 68°F
Low: 64°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 17mph SW

Today High: 85 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/forum-1/P1010022-1.jpg

Good Morning Bill & Jeffrey ! Another overcast day here on the Niagara Frontier , Suppose to get up to 42 with some rain . At least some of the snow we had will melt into the Mighty Niagara River . Have to get going to the Eye Doctor for my quarterly visit . Hopefully no changes with the eyes. Well got to get moving so here's hoping everyone has a nice Friday !!!!

Good morning everyone.

Very interesting night last night and it continues today, at least it has been for me.

First off, my computer crashed last night while I was watching an Ebay auction with about 35 minutes to go. Took me about 40 minutes to get going again so I missed out on a GP35 in RF&P colors. Dang.

Secondly, the snow bank in my front yard is gone and it was supporting my mailbox which was hit by a car a couple of months ago. Mailbox was on it's side so I wedged it into the mud in the front yard. It currently sits about 2 feet off of the ground so I'll have to fix that this weekend.

Last but not least, my wife called me at work this morning about 15 minutes after I got here to let me know that she couldn't find her car keys. Quick drive home and back to work before the boss arrives. 9 miles round trip. I did see two GP38s in GTW colors hooking up to some hoppers on my way back to work too, no camera with me though.

And a bright sunshiny morning to you!

Yesterday was almost 60 and the sun was shining! But true to Indiana style, we are getting off to a wet start on this Friday morning. Temperatures are in the 40s with some light rain. Highs today should climb to near 50 degrees. Another storm will brush the region on Saturday with light rain possibly mixed with snow especially across the southern half of the state. Sunday should be the best day of the weekend with sunshine and highs in the upper 40s.

Well, today the wife gets her staples out of her leg. I'm taking off at noon today to take her to the doctors office. I'll be sure she's up on her pain meds before we go.

Oh well, I'm off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back