Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Went down and mowed my parents yard while it was still cool. At least I got that much done today. Now I'm looking at the layout. It has a bunch of stuff on it that got relocated in the kitchen tear down. My mind is screaming 'Clean it!' and my body is screaming 'OH NO YOU DON'T!'. I didn't get much sleep last night. So far the body is winning. I just want to pass out for two or three hours.

Turns out I did neither trains nor leave mowing. About the time I was gathering up my stuff to go run trains, a friend called, saying he was going to be here in a couple of hours. So, cleaning like the flight of the bumblebee.
He just left, heading home in New York state. Everybody went home at the train club, and it's dark, so I can't safely run the lawn mower. But at least the house got cleaned. And of course, we got to see our friend for the first time in several months.

Time for me to call it a night. Got about an hour nap time earlier but still felt worn out. No layout work today. Maybe I'll get some good sleep tonight. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN2003.jpg

Good morning. It's 62° with 100% humidity. It'll be mostly sunny with a high of 88°.
cond026.gif

I hope to do some cleanup work on the layout today. I don't quite know where to begin. Maybe if I start with one thing it'll lead to another. Also need to get tractor and trailer up here to cart off the pieces that were ripped out of the kitchen cabinet. That's all piled up outside. I should be able to get it all in one load and take it down to the burn pile.

Image3.jpg

So much for my plans this morning! My father called shortly after I posted. He needed me to come down and put together a power miter saw for him. That took the better part of an hour. I swear the man couldn't close an umbrella without instructions that were typed in triplicate, lost, found, sent out, queried, sent back, put on public display then buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as fire lighters before new instructions were issued. He then wanted me to set it up so it could rip sixteen foot 2x6's. I had to explain to him that that couldn't be done with that type of saw. He then described a saw he had used years ago to do that sort of thing and that it was very similar to this one. I then had to explain to him that what he had used was a radial arm saw and that this model miter saw could NOT be made to be used in that fashion. It's virtually impossible! We then spent the rest of the morning rebuilding a twenty-five plus year old home made table saw (70's era Skilsaw bolted underneath a homemade plywood table saw deck complete with 2x2x16" rip fence) that's bolted to the top of an old Steelcase office desk. We, rather I, got it working and I put a good blade on it. Some of the blade mounting hardware was missing and we had to cobble together a replacement. The blade is on as tight as I could get it. The saw has safeguards that are more than sufficient to stop a runaway blade should that occur. Still, we're both going to be standing back when the first couple 2x6's are pushed through. It may work, it may not. The blade may stop dead as a hammer when it hits the first board. But that won't be today. After that we got cleaned up a bit, collected my mother from the couch (yes she's back home holding the couch down) and we went to town for a late lunch then to a lawyers office to sign over the house to the new owners. Got back home about an hour ago and I'm completely wiped! Working on the layout or anything else for that matter is the farthest thing from my mind! I hurt all over and could care less if the walls fell down.

Sunny in the high 70's today....with more of same on tap for rest of this week. I put off assembling layout platform just to be outside this afternoon. Sat on a bench in the downtown square, felt the breeze and watched the world go by. Plus if the short train comes up from newark, I can hear the horn and watch it cross the road a couple blocks away. No train today.

Mike

Still 72 and partly cloudy here. Time for me to call it a night. I'm sore, stiff and ready for a good nights sleep. See y'all tomorrow.

Image5.jpg

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

It's Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Morning_Coffee.png

tipton_3_zps7338fbe5.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Last edited by a moderator:

Back