cameraman almost hit by train

I've seen that before. Makes you gasp at first, but then always guarantees a laugh from me. Especially the manly "whoo ooo" from the camera man when he sees the train coming.

Even though it's our Brit cousin on the other side of the "pond", it explains why the railroads usually don't like us hanging around with cameras. :eek:

Why would anyone want to flim that euro crap?

J/K :)

No on a serious note, Safety is my first Priority then Comes Railfaning.
i AM never on RAILROAD PROPERTY,nor should you!

I didn't slip. The air coming from the cab car slammed into me hard and blew my hat off.

I railfan on railroad property all the time... because the railroad happens to own the stations :D

Why would anyone want to flim that euro crap?

J/K :)

Somehow I think that if you were in europe with a camera and a train was passing, the lens cap wouldnt' be on. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmF7_bNHa0
I just saw this on TruTV Most Shocking
You seen this yet?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ge-locomotive-hit-slowest-near-miss-ever.html
If i ever get to meet this kid, I am going to delete, burn and get rid of all his models, pictures, and other memorabilia of Railroads because before you start to do this stuff, THE #1 RULE IS SAFETY!!! IF YOU DONT KNOW THIS, YOU SHOULD NOT BE TAKING PICTURES!!! Stupid kid. That would have killed him, and what does he do? DOESNT SAY THANK YOU OR STOP AND SHAKE HIS HAND, H+GIVE HIM A HUG OR NOTHING!!! NO HE KEEPS FILMING!!! WHAT AN UNGRATEFUL LITTLE, pardon my french, BA***TRD!!! Mods and Admins, Again pardon my french, but Im sure you feel the same way. He was Jeopardizing the company's ability to let people come to places and watch it go by too. Also Jeopardizing his and others safety.

parrthd1,

Kinda a strong reaction! Well, I have one question, where were the child's parents? His carelessness is, however, understandable. One, he has probably never seen a real steam loco of this size before, so he is absolutely enthralled, and has gotten "buck fever" on getting "the picture" of probably the most amazing thing he's seen in his life.OR

Two, his parents have never taught him the first rule of safe railfanning, that is to ALWAYS treat every track as live, with a train approaching on it! This is assuming that they are even railfans themselves.

Frankly I also blame the UP for part of this. They have "advertized" the movement of the big boy as a media event, with the public "invited". Why didn't they setup some barriers so railfans couldn't get on the tracks, and then place some security guards to enforce the barrier.

I have even seen "professional railroad" media people almost get killed because they didn't follow or thought that the rule didn't apply to them.

While I do know that this is primarily the kid's fault, I believe the situation could have been prevented with a little forethought by the UP.

Note the yellow line on the UK platform. That means, stand behind this. I can remember my mother telling me (she migrated from England in the 1930's) that when the fast expresses came through, they cleared the platforms to prevent any chance of being sucked off it.

Did you notice though how the commuter driver left blowing the horn till he was right on top of that guy.

Frankly I also blame the UP for part of this. They have "advertized" the movement of the big boy as a media event, with the public "invited". Why didn't they setup some barriers so railfans couldn't get on the tracks, and then place some security guards to enforce the barrier.
It is unreasonable to expect the railroad to set up barriers along hundreds of miles of track where this locomotive was going to move, and then hire enough security guards to patrol it. If that becomes an expectation then all the steam programs of all the railroads will end very suddenly.

I should have been clearer. Set them up at stations, like this one. I've seen barriers that cities have put up for miles and miles, during events. Surely they could spring for enough at stations, or would they rather pay off a multi-million lawsuit?

How 'bout this one for close. I wonder if he ever found his shoe.
The fellow did stop and look for a train. He just didn't anticipate the rapid closure rate.

These threads got me to thinking about what would happen in the USA if we ever implemented high speed trains. Considering how impatient, unobservant, and generally ignorant the American population is, I can envisioning scenes like this happening over and over again but with disastrous results.

Back