Building My First Layout

Yesterday I made some progress on my control panel. I updated my other thread, but there doesn't appear to be any interest in a DC control panel over there, so I'll update this thread and probably stop updating my control panel thread.

I've got blocks 1 & 2 wired now, which are the 2 mainlines. I have my 2 Railpower 1370's for controlling the trains and track, and an older Bachmann cab for operating my remote turnouts. I have 2 more Atlas selectors on order so that I have enough for my 16+ blocks.

I'm wiring my blocks through a distribution block with the common wires, and wiring the gap wires into the Atlas selectors.

PXL_20240129_154923231.jpg

PXL_20240129_154822344.jpg

PXL_20240129_154842159.jpg

PXL_20240128_223958429.jpg

Spike handle to raise the top
PXL_20240128_224151326.jpg

PXL_20240128_224108171.jpg

It took me most of the day yesterday, trying to figure out the wiring stuff, but I think it will go much faster now that I've got it somewhat figured out.

Yesterday I made some progress on my control panel. I updated my other thread, but there doesn't appear to be any interest in a DC control panel over there, so I'll update this thread and probably stop updating my control panel thread.

I've got blocks 1 & 2 wired now, which are the 2 mainlines. I have my 2 Railpower 1370's for controlling the trains and track, and an older Bachmann cab for operating my remote turnouts. I have 2 more Atlas selectors on order so that I have enough for my 16+ blocks.

I'm wiring my blocks through a distribution block with the common wires, and wiring the gap wires into the Atlas selectors.

View attachment 180452

View attachment 180453

View attachment 180454

View attachment 180455

View attachment 180456

View attachment 180457

It took me most of the day yesterday, trying to figure out the wiring stuff, but I think it will go much faster now that I've got it somewhat figured out.
Looks good, wiring is always my downfall.

View attachment 180452

View attachment 180453

View attachment 180454

View attachment 180455

View attachment 180456

View attachment 180457

Looks nice and cleanly done, and it works is always a bonus!

Yesterday I finished wiring all 16 blocks. I also finished nailing down all the track. All 16 blocks work perfectly, with both power packs. I can run 2 trains at the same time, in the same direction, and in opposite directions.

PXL_20240202_173212086.jpg

I think I'll wire the turntable and 7 stall tracks tomorrow. I also have to glue down the cork roadbed after I get the turntable attached to the table, and the turntable motor mounted and wired.

PXL_20240202_173436648.jpg

It feels good to be at the point where I can run trains if I want to take a break from working on the layout.

Yesterday I finished wiring all 16 blocks. I also finished nailing down all the track. All 16 blocks work perfectly, with both power packs. I can run 2 trains at the same time, in the same direction, and in opposite directions.

View attachment 180612

I think I'll wire the turntable and 7 stall tracks tomorrow. I also have to glue down the cork roadbed after I get the turntable attached to the table, and the turntable motor mounted and wired.

View attachment 180613

It feels good to be at the point where I can run trains if I want to take a break from working on the layout.
I am so green with envy, with your ability to successfully complete DC electrical without throwing something across the room or stopping for a drink.😉

View attachment 180612

View attachment 180613

It does wonders seeing the trains finally move, like the home team crowd cheering you on to keep going and get the win lol

I am so green with envy, with your ability to successfully complete DC electrical without throwing something across the room or stopping for a drink.😉

I have to give credit to my friend who taught me how to rewire my two previous boats (a 19ft and a 21ft). Nothing big or super complex, but learning from a licensed boat electrician helped me interpret and understand the information in the Atlas wiring book.

That being said, it was a struggle at times, and I ran into my fair share of bumps along the way. My drink breaks were for coffee, so I could continue to see straight 🙂. After I got the first 2 blocks figured out, the rest of the 16 blocks went real smooth.

It does wonders seeing the trains finally move, like the home team crowd cheering you on to keep going and get the win lol

I've never put together anything other than a simple oval track on a hardwood floor, over 40 years ago. So to have 2 trains running at the same time, in either direction, feels like a big win to me. I never knew what a block was until last October, so to have all 16 blocks working after the first try... that feels like winning a playoff game!

This is my first "real" train layout, and being 56, I don't know if this is my last layout. I can build things, but I'm not very artistic, like those people out there who are excellent modelers, who can bring realism to their layouts.
Glad to see all has gone well with this layout, I think you have done exceptionally well, I only ever managed one simple track and a couple of turnouts when I last did DC.

I'm 63 and disabled, this is my fourth layout, not including variations of the original, which the present one is, so I'm sure you'll build a new one at some point, maybe even a DCC one, but first you've got to "finish" this one, which I might say, like all of them, they never are. :)

Glad to see all has gone well with this layout, I think you have done exceptionally well, I only ever managed one simple track and a couple of turnouts when I last did DC.

I'm 63 and disabled, this is my fourth layout, not including variations of the original, which the present one is, so I'm sure you'll build a new one at some point, maybe even a DCC one, but first you've got to "finish" this one, which I might say, like all of them, they never are. :)

From what I've seen in these past few months, looking at countless layouts, I'd say you speak the truth about a layout never truly being "finished". It seems like something could always be modified or updated. The adventure continues...

Edit to add - Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!

Last edited:
I finished the turntable today, along with the 7 stall tracks and the turntable motor. I wired all 8 common wires into a separate 8 terminal distribution block, and the gap wires are wired to 2 Atlas selectors next to the Atlas controller, marked TT thru T7. Everything works as it should, with both power packs.

PXL_20240204_213845165.jpg

I used Atlas wired track joiners for all powered track connections. The gap wires on these stall tracks had to be wired outside the tracks because I only have a 9" track connected to a track bumper, and there's not enough room to mount 2 terminal joiners facing each other

PXL_20240204_171307967.jpg

PXL_20240204_212758975.jpg

I think I'll start adding the structures on the layout next.

I spent about 2 hours yesterday, and another 2 hours today testing all of my engines on my mainlines and sidings. My PA1 doesn't have the traction it needs to pull 4 passenger cars over the bascule bridge. That's disappointing because the PA1 was going to be my primary engine for the 2 sets of Santa Fe passenger cars I have. The war bonnet F9 isn't running right either. It runs good at slow speed, but anything close to half throttle and it squeals real bad. I tried the blue and yellow F7 Santa Fe with the 4 passenger cars and it has no problem pulling them over the bascule bridge.

All of my curves are 18" radius, but I was concerned about the longer passenger cars not working properly on the curves. The passenger cars in the video below are made by Model Power.

I hooked up my Miller Engineering animated Burlington Northern billboard and made a short video of the F7 pulling the passenger cars for my YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Back