Building My First Layout

Haven't checked this thread out in a while but just spent a good deal of time getting caught up. You've come a long way and it looks great. I know you're having a few issues but I'm pretty sure all of us have had to deal with plenty of issues (I know I have), seems like the nature of the hobby.

Since you have a bit of a head start with understanding wiring you could convert this layout to DCC pretty easily since you already have 16 blocks. There's 16 sets of feeders! Just throwing it out there for you to consider one day.

I'm glad I found this thread again. Layout is really coming along!

Nice seeing your short video, appears like the bridge does not carry current. Wierd.

Dave LASM

Thank you. To me, it looks like the loco is getting high-centered at the crest of the track. The wheels keep turning, and the loco is getting power, but it acts like it's hung up at that point. That's where I used nickel silver rail joiners to keep the bridge "locked" in the down position. Some of my other locos go over it ok.

I came up with one more possible solution before I remove the bridge. I'll post my results, and whether or not it works...

Are these Bachmann Spectrum engines DCC ready? This is another engine from my dad's 1990's collection, and it has a circuit board in it. It appears to be brand new, and it was never assembled (couplers and hand rails are still in the envelope).

View attachment 181198

View attachment 181199

It has 2 flashing strobes on the front of the cab that flash. The headlight works too. But it doesn't move at all.
That's not DCC ready it str8 DC. It is most likely a split frame. It is not difficult to convert to DCC I've done a few old Bachmanns. Here is a link to the Bachmann Spectrum SD 45 I just did it a 90s engine aswell.

Haven't checked this thread out in a while but just spent a good deal of time getting caught up. You've come a long way and it looks great. I know you're having a few issues but I'm pretty sure all of us have had to deal with plenty of issues (I know I have), seems like the nature of the hobby.

Since you have a bit of a head start with understanding wiring you could convert this layout to DCC pretty easily since you already have 16 blocks. There's 16 sets of feeders! Just throwing it out there for you to consider one day.

I'm glad I found this thread again. Layout is really coming along!

Thank you for the kind words! I absolutely expected to hit some snags along the way, and I expect to hit some more. I'm still having fun.

Since I'm back into this hobby 100%, I've considered switching over to DCC at a later date when my DC engines start giving me problems. My track is split into 16 blocks, plus 8 more blocks for the turntable and stall tracks, so 24 blocks total.

Those two tracks are glued. I pulled one of them off and put a new custom length track on it, just over 3" long to reduce the gap between the tracks.
Reducing the gaps can’t hurt, but the biggest issue is that “hard angle”, from incline to flat, and will be difficult to remove that with your set up. I would suggest one piece of flex track aligned so half of it is one side of the bridge, half the other, center of flex track at the center of the bridge. You might end up with a section of track not touching the piers, will have to bring piers up to the track supported with a little extra at the bottom. Will probably make your grade slightly steeper but no more hard angles…

Reducing the gaps can’t hurt, but the biggest issue is that “hard angle”, from incline to flat, and will be difficult to remove that with your set up. I would suggest one piece of flex track aligned so half of it is one side of the bridge, half the other, center of flex track at the center of the bridge. You might end up with a section of track not touching the piers, will have to bring piers up to the track supported with a little extra at the bottom. Will probably make your grade slightly steeper but no more hard angles…

Using flex track is a good idea, thank for the recommendation.
Unfortunately, another problem with the bridge is that my Alco PA1 with the B unit and a dummy A unit won't pull 4 passenger cars up the incline, even after I serviced the locos.

I already removed the bridge, and I have a 2' x 4' bench to add a new rail yard. As it turns out, my current layout isn't big enough to hold all of my rolling stock and locos. So it's kind of a win win situation in my opinion.

After removing the bascule bridge, I made a track plan for my new railyard. My 5 new manual Atlas turnouts should arrive tomorrow. I'll have to wire 5 more blocks for this addition.

PXL_20240216_145201959.jpg

PXL_20240216_145029180.jpg

This layout might turn into a U shaped layout eventually...

After removing the bascule bridge, I made a track plan for my new railyard. My 5 new manual Atlas turnouts should arrive tomorrow. I'll have to wire 5 more blocks for this addition.

View attachment 181409

View attachment 181410

This layout might turn into a U shaped layout eventually...
Todd: Ya might consider doing those switches in the bottom yard lower right a little different. Come off the 1st one ( at the top ) then set up the other three for the ladder tracks on the 1st's diverging route.

Later

Todd: Ya might consider doing those switches in the bottom yard lower right a little different. Come off the 1st one ( at the top ) then set up the other three for the ladder tracks on the 1st's diverging route.

Later

Thanks for the idea, much appreciated! I'll have to modify it in a way that I can use the 4 right hand turnouts that I ordered already.

Back