Best Track for Heavy Remote Turnouts

Atari

I'm planning to build a track that will incorporate a lot of turnouts. I'm thinking of remote. Manual will be too hard to reach and I've a feeling DCC will simply cost too much.

I played around with my sons Bachmann set and picked up a remote turnout to see how I liked it. Simply put, I don't. I have derailments about 100% of the time. The Bachmann forums seem to consider derailments a foregone conclusion so I'm not even going to try that route.

I recall, as a kid, having a marvelous layout with few derailments. Memory may be fuzzy but I'm not prepared to accept that all track manufacturers are as bad as bachmann.

So, what do you recommend for reliable turnouts?

my hobby store guy told me that the reason the bachmann turnouts have derailments is that you need to file down on top of the points, once you file the points, you should have no problem, if you use peco, make sure you get the insulated frogs unless you know how to wire the electro frog, micro engineering used to make turnouts that were power routing and you had to modify them to be DCC friendly, but now they are coming out with DCC friendly turnouts, I have been using Atlas Custom line which are DCC friendly, but if you are using the Bachmann track that comes in the sets, most likely its the EZ track which only goes with other EZ track, if you plan to build a layout on ply wood, its better to use the old style track where you nail it to cork, the model railroad club I belong too just uses the Atlas Custom line with the Tortoise under table switch machine and caboose industries throw levers on the yards, and Atlas Flex track, there are some Walthers turnouts on it too, but those are not DCC friendly because of the power routing frogs.

Could you explain filing down the top of the points a little more, please? If you know of any links, that would be great too.

Thanks.

I'm planning to build a track that will incorporate a lot of turnouts. I'm thinking of remote. Manual will be too hard to reach and I've a feeling DCC will simply cost too much....

My (probably controversial ;)) 02c - FWIW, use at your own risk, etc etc.......

"We" already know you want to have at least two operators.

If necessary, I would build a smaller layout, but make it DCC.

There's a bunch of reasons, but the ability to "control your trains and not your track" will really improve the quality of life of you both. And wiring is much simpler (at least in the beginning.)

The Digitrax Zephyr (or it's NCE equivalent) is a truly remarkable piece of kit at the price..... I honestly believe your and your sons enjoyment will be enhanced with DCC.

As always, my 02c, Cheers,
Ian

So if I go DCC, then which track? Still the recommended Peco, Fast tracks, Micro engineering, Shinohara, Tillig?

So if I go DCC, then which track? Still the recommended Peco, Fast tracks, Micro engineering, Shinohara, Tillig?

Pretty much. All track functions the same. To make the wiring easier, go with turnouts marked as DCC ready, compatible, or friendly. Or words to that effect.

Back