Best Bulk Price On Steel Wheels

I still have a few hoppers to replace the plastic wheels with steel ones. Im looking to buy A bulk pack of wheels..say 100 or so if they make packs like that. Who has the best price?

Chad

I like Intermountain. If you go to a LHS, you're looking at usually $0.75 per axle, or $75. MB Klein has the best price I've seen, for $59 per 100.

I like the intermountain over the P2K wheels. the Intermountains have metal axels where the P2K is plastic. I use both but lately I only buy IM.

$60 is a good price!

I don't think I've tried the intermountain. My LHS carries the Proto's. I have to ask the owner to pick order some.

I like the intermountain over the P2K wheels. the Intermountains have metal axels where the P2K is plastic. I use both but lately I only buy IM.

$60 is a good price!

Wouldnt this cause problems with track current?

I dont want to steal Chads post but im in the same boat, although all of my freight cars need axles. Is there a chart somewhere I can determine what size wheels go for perticular cars? I know there was a post around here with that info many months ago.

Wouldnt this cause problems with track current?

I dont want to steal Chads post but im in the same boat, although all of my freight cars need axles. Is there a chart somewhere I can determine what size wheels go for perticular cars? I know there was a post around here with that info many months ago.

no problems. there is a plastic bushing between the wheel and the axle.

The Intermountain wheelsets are insulated. One one side of the axle, where it meets the back of the wheel, there is a plastic insulator.

I like the Intermountain because of the sharp points at the hub, which tend to roll better, longer than others. I have found some Athearn trucks of late, both with plastic and metal wheelsets, of the 70/100ton roller bearing variety, that are too narrow for the IMs, or anyone elses for that matter, to go in them. It's like they need the help of a truck tuner.

The P2Ks are nice, and look good from both inside and out, but as mentioned have plastic axles and don't roll as well as the IM. I've had issues with Atlas wheelsets being in gauge and staying in gauge. Athearn has, on their recent tank cars, added new wheelsets that are metal axle and roll as well as the IM ones, but you can't buy them yet.

As for wheels and diameters, the following is what I've figured out:

1) wheels with ribbed backs (P2K) are not supposed to be on anything more recent than the 1960s.
2) wheels for cars that are of the 50 and 70ton variety (capacity) are usually 33".
3) wheels for passenger cars are 36" (for like Amtrak and earlier 4 axle cars...I don't know what the Heavyweights used).
4) wheels for cars that are of the 100ton variety (capacity) use 36" wheels
5) wheels for 89' autoracks use 28" wheels
6) wheels for cabooses are 33"
7) wheels for most all tank cars are 36"
8) wheels for well cars are special. Some of the inner ones are 38" while outer ones are smaller.

Most boxcars (50') are up to 150K lbs, or roughly 75 tons. Some high-cube or specail cars can be higher, and need 36" wheels. Most gondolas built after the 1960s are 100 tons. Most 3+bay covered hoppers (FMC, Thrall, Trinity, ACF/Centerflow, PS2CD 4750 or 4740) as well as the 2 bay covered hoppers (2970 or 3560 cuft) are 100 tons.

Rolling Friction & Semi-Scale Designation

Tray.
I agree the IM will roll better than the P2K because of the metal axel points.
Am I correct in saying that most of the pointed ends on the axels from various manufacturers are made to the same angle?

So the Intermountain axels can be used on the Athearn trucks and most other truck varieties?

The diameter of the Intermountain axels are smaller, and thus their friction surfaces at the pointed end of the axels are smaller making for less friction area...smoother rolling?

So the advantage that Intermoutain would have over Proto is both the metal vs plastic axel material, and the smaller contact area with the truck frames?

I believe there is some confusion in the materials of these wheelsets. I see a lot of them still referred to as 'brass' even though they don't appear to be the brass of old. Aren't these in reality a form of brass that is nickle plated? Or are the newer wheels solid nickle silver?

When Intermoutain refers to 'semi-scale' wheelsets, are these the newer smaller tread width wheels? Don't these present some problems at the frogs of larger radius turnouts?

And finally, are there some shortage in inventories of the 'std' Intermountain wheelsets at the moment?

Am I correct in saying that most of the pointed ends on the axels from various manufacturers are made to the same angle?

So the Intermountain axels can be used on the Athearn trucks and most other truck varieties?

The diameter of the Intermountain axels are smaller, and thus their friction surfaces at the pointed end of the axels are smaller making for less friction area...smoother rolling?

So the advantage that Intermoutain would have over Proto is both the metal vs plastic axel material, and the smaller contact area with the truck frames?

I believe there is some confusion in the materials of these wheelsets. I see a lot of them still referred to as 'brass' even though they don't appear to be the brass of old. Aren't these in reality a form of brass that is nickle plated? Or are the newer wheels solid nickle silver?

When Intermoutain refers to 'semi-scale' wheelsets, are these the newer smaller tread width wheels? Don't these present some problems at the frogs of larger radius turnouts?

And finally, are there some shortage in inventories of the 'std' Intermountain wheelsets at the moment?

Yes, and no.

All axle points are the same, the difference is the length.

Reboxx has the ultimate guide:
http://www.reboxx.com/

Standard RP25 is code 110, I.E. .110" wide wheels. "Semi-scale" is code 88, .088" thick. Proto:87 is code 64, .064" thick... Semi-scale will work on standard HO track, P:87 will not. P:87 (code 64) requires much greater tolerances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Intermountain. If you go to a LHS, you're looking at usually $0.75 per axle, or $75. MB Klein has the best price I've seen, for $59 per 100.

Semi scale wheels will run on regular track even on bad trackwork. The only thing I would watch out for is Atlas switches as the wheels would drop into the wide frog.

Hiawatha Hobbies has Intermountain wheels in packs of 100 for about $50. So does Tom's Trains in Connecticut, but Tom's Trains does not sell online. Hiawatha Hobbies sells them online.

In my opinion, the Kadee wheelsets are like the P2K. Plastic axle, plastic needlepoint, metal wheels. I prefer metal wheels on an insulated metal axle (insulated on one side). Intermountain makes them, Bachmann makes similar wheels with shorter axles, Athearn RTR has switched to this style, as has Atlas.

I now see the IM packs of bulk wheelsets in HO have a 100 dollar list price. Ouch. Cheapest I can find right now is MB Klein but factoring in shipping means its still getting expensive.

I'm in need of some more steel wheels as well and went through this exercise of finding a good deal on a bulk pack also. I think I got mine from MBK like others have mentioned. Yes... ouch on the shipping so I try to make a big order all at once.
I went through all this with couplers as well. My little brother discovered 8 passenger cars (2 4-car sets) and saw fit to send them to me. They are great cars and in good shape but they definitely need steel wheels along with some other cars in my inventory. At least they came with Kaydee couplers so I don't have to mess with that anymore.
Wheel swapping is easy. Couplers not so much.

If anyone finds great deal on some steel wheels 33" HO, I'll split an order with ya. Might be a while before I can make good however. I have a major expense coming up and the trains will just have to wait.
Eric

Back