Bershire Valley Route

DLO4923

I am contemplating changing the code 100 snap track to using code 83 flextrack on my Berkshire Valley Route model railroad. Will it be worth the effort and cost. Is there a bill of materials for this layout using code 83 flex track? I got this layout from atlas big book. Hope to hear soon. Thanks Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I am contemplating changing the code 100 snap track to using code 83 flextrack on my Berkshire Valley Route model railroad. Will it be worth the effort and cost. Is there a bill of materials for this layout using code 83 flex track? I got this layout from atlas big book.
The reason to go to flex track is for looks. You are the only one who can determine if the additional looks are work the extra effort. Is there a reason you don't want to do it in code 83 snap track?

From the sounds of your post, you haven't started the layout as yet, and I am assuming that the plan you intend using is in Code 100 snap track.

As such, you have the advantage of using any type, make or code of track that you want. My preference is for Code 83 track, due to the extra realism, and Flex Track which is more adaptable than sectional track. With that being said, and depending on the make of track you choose, you could use a combination of sectional and flex track.

As Iron Horseman said, it is really up to you :)

From what I have read, the trains perform better with less connections and I think I would like the realism with the flex track. I don't know if it is worth the approx. 500 dollars to change.

Dan

If you check on the Atlas website, I think they list the price for doing it in Code 83, with sectional track. Doing it with flex track would mean fewer railjoiners for one thing. If you've got the room, you might use larger curves, also, as depending on if you model the '90's or after, the larger equipment would be more reliable with larger curves.

I think I would like the realism with the flex track.
The realism of flex track depends on the era you are model. Long lengths of welded rail were not common until recently. Even the old Kansas Pacific main still has the standard 39' rails that go clicky clack. Look at all those rail joiners for ever section of track.
SmithRoadSmall.JPG

If it works for you why change it?
You could try painting the rails with a floquil paint pen (they're maid to paint rails) and maybe giving the ties a light hit with an air brush.
If the roadbed is bothering you simply cover it with ballast.

Back