Bad Chemical Known to California - EZ Track Expander Kit...

Superfreak3

Hi all,

I'm not a hardcore model railroader, just the holiday kind and I have a quick question...

I just bought an EZ Track Expander Kit (Bachmann) and it indicated on the box that the product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, etc. I'm just wondering what that may be and if its risky to use this product around young ones.

I would guess not or this product wouldn't even be on the market. I just found the warning odd, but maybe its on a lot of packaging for various products. Maybe I'm just not paying attention.

Thanks for any info.!

Probably a plastic of some sort. It's evidently only known to California, and then only to a select few self-annointed worrywarts. The real world has far less irrational paranoia.

Enjoy the EZ Track without fear. I promise.

Don't worry about it. That's just Prop 65.
Everything here in California has that label.
Basically it is up to the company to determine these levels of the cited substances in Prop 65.
Most companies do not have the money or resources to research the level of those certain chemicals. (which in most cases is nominal)
Rather than paying a lab to give you numbers to prove this to the state of California, you just print up a label and stick it on your product.
Much easier for most companies and helps against lawsuits.

California is known to the rest of the world to cause cancer and birth defects.
Look no further than hollywwod and some of the characters roaming around there.

If you read the warnings on the rest of the package, it will also tell you not to use toy trains around children under 14 years old, too.:rolleyes:
My favorite was a can of baby formula that was labeled "Keep out of the reach of children".

If you check you'd probably find that everything that is found to cause cancer in California is subject to some kind of extra tax.

It's the same reason there's an expiration date on bottled water. Water doesn't go bad, and no, the chemicals from the plastic bottles do not bleed into the water. It's because all bottled products, under New Jersey law, need to have an expiration date printed on them. Because no company wants to have to print out different labels for different places, all water bottles have an expiration date.

Most of the Prop 65 warning labels say that the product "may" contain something. It may not, but they're just looking out for people who bubble wrap their children before letting them go outside.

timothy dineen

bought some almonds the other day. had a warning that the contents may contain or have been in contact where nuts may have been processed.

Unless you plan on shredding the EZ Track into dust and feeding it to kids or have them snort it I doubt any ill will come from using it as Bachmann intended.

There are either way too many lawyers in this country or we have become a nation of idiots that requires warning labels on everything. My motorcycle has a front fork lock that keeps the handle bars and front end locked so they can't be turned, a theft discouragement. The owners manual tells you to unlock the front forks before attempting to ride or serious injury and possible death can result. Geez, really? I never would have guessed!

Beds and pillows will soon have a warning to inform you many people die in their sleep so use at your own risk.

Been using EZ-Track for over ten years and still cancer free. Don't worry about it. California has some weird laws. Some of them, like the one you point out don't make much sense.

I have an extensive collection of hand painted pre war lead figurines.....that would never pass the EPA today. They are safe on my train shelf, I do not put them in my mouth. Not very child friendly LOL.
-Art

I tis an interesting law...
But lets take it easy on CA!!!
Not everyone here is whacko, Hollywood type with irrational political leanings...
SOme of us, like myself think CA is pretty weird, and I live here, work here, and try to make it more middle of the road!
Maybe, now that the state is broke, we can wake up some of these types of folks it to more responsible voting practices...
I do wish our elected official worried more about spending and budgeting then labeling these items...or banning the use of plastic bags...

It's just typical idiocy from the People's Republic of Kalifornia. (And yeah, I live here.)

They even have signs at hardware stores warning that wood dust causes cancer.

It's just typical idiocy from the People's Republic of Kalifornia. (And yeah, I live here.)

They even have signs at hardware stores warning that wood dust causes cancer.

It does get a little crazy, but it is easy to tune out.

Pressure treated lumber is pretty bad stuff, and that type of sawdust is very bad for you. That being said, you dont need a sign...

We have those signs at supermarkets too.
It is funny, but that is what happens when you let people vote on propositions, and the like.
Thats also why this state is broke...In CA, the citizens can pass laws that require the spending of potentially billions of dollars.

Back