Attracting new Club Members

hamltnblue

Lately our club membership has dropped off a bit, leaving only 18 members.

We're looking for some new ideas to attract new members.

What are some of the things clubs have done to attract model railroaders out of their basements and into the club? Our membership is currently $25 a month which takes care of the rent.

Thanks

Jim

Hm. are you advertised in your local hobby shop? And are you showing at local train shows, if any?
Those two things help a lot.
also, talk to the local law enforcement and fire dept... give them some flyers and ask if they'll spread it around! Some departments actually have their own clubs! If they can combine with yours, it'll boost your membership.

are there alot of politics involved? I know alot of people here by me wont join certain ones cause of the "politics" and "lack of a voice" with the more older crowd.

Your fee is very affordable, so that can't be an issue. Do you have ops sessions with other clubs or encourage other clubs to come on by to have like multi-club ops session.

Thanks
A little more advertising might help. The train show idea is good if we ever get one that comes close enough. We'll look into other possible hidden clubs like the FD etc. Maybe there's one in the same boat.

the only club near me is HO/N and a great bunch of guys!!
But the problems are as follows. They only meet on tuesdays
@ 6:30-11:00pm And that is hard for me to do seeing how
i have to be up for work @ 2:30AM. But for $55.00 you get a
key to the place so you can go and run train all by your self...

We have a large permanent layout. We do have operating sessions, and open houses. We have one a year at Trainfest, and others for the local NMRA division, and a few sister clubs. New members generally come to us through seeing the layout at an open house, or by word of mouth.

We don't do hard recruiting. We have found that our best members come to us because they want to be a part of the organization, and share what we have. In the past when we did try recruiting, those prospects that required extensive "courting" to sign up generally either became dissatisfied, or in one or two extreme cases became malcontents, and didn't last.

Membership is a cyclical thing, and in this economy will naturally drop some.

We also have two classes of membership. Standard membership with full voting priveledges, and a key to the building, and Associate membership, which is non voting and has no key priveledges. Associate members have to come during regular meeting times or work sessions, or when a regular member is present.

Dues for regular members are $30.00 per month, and for Associate membership are $15.00 per month. We also offer a 25% dues discount for senior citizens. We have a 6 month probationary period, and an initiation fee of $150.00 for regular members ($75.00 for associates). This does two things: it gets you your key, and functions as a "buy in". A large layout costs money to operate and maintain, plus we have rent, utilities, and so forth. If you have a good organization, and people know about you, you will attract members. Hang in there!

If you have a high turnover of new members, i.e. they join then quit after a few months, it may be that nobody is taking them under the wing to help them get "into" the club. They begin to feel more like they are there to support the club's interest as long as they don't get in the way but continue to bring the membership dues.

Thanks
A little more advertising might help. The train show idea is good if we ever get one that comes close enough. We'll look into other possible hidden clubs like the FD etc. Maybe there's one in the same boat.

Not having a show close enough is no excuse. Hold a show yourselves. Go around and talk to some of your local volunteer fire department, and see if they will rent you their hall for a nominal amount, and let them have a fundraising for themselves at the same time. When you find a place, print and disttribute flyers with good directions and address to the show. You can have the show be free to "customers", and a small charge, like $10 a table, to cover the cost of the rental of the hall. You'll be sure to meet some people, hopefully attract some new members, and start establishing a rapport with some of the people in your community other than model railroaders.

The club I used to belong two had a swap meet twice a year in the parking lot of our building. We gained some members that way. Just get the name out there as best as possible. Leave flyers promoting your club at local swap meets and train shows. I assume you have a website, if you don't get one. I did the club thing for about 3 years until it became more about politics and less about trains..I would never do it again.

Gaining members

It was tough, but at a club that I used to belong to we did three things:

Hosted Boy Scout Merit Badge workshops.
Invited junior high school field trips to the club room to run the trains.
Built a staging yard to hold shake the box and RTR cars and locos with horn hook couplers.

Our goal was to introduce young folks to Model railroading making sure the hobby would continue to grow during the early Atari & Nintendo years. Older members grumbled about how young and inexperienced operators were rough on the equipment, specifically damaged Kadee couplers and wire grab handles. In fairness operators of any age can be rough on equipment. To counter the rough operator complaint we built a staging yard where garage sale acquired and donated "toy" trains were stored. Come time to operate with the youth we had the grumblers remove their equipment prior to the operating sessions.

When I go home to visit Dad and can get away to the old club can still recognize some of the fresh faces introduced to the hobby. It was work, because of resistance from the clique of people who had been members for a long time.

For attracting more mature (age wise) members we sometimes would use the toy train operating sessions but what worked best was assigning a member as a partner. Not a nit-picker rivet counter, but someone that had modeling skills beyond open a box, slap on some couplers and run a train. The partner would mentor the new comer in operations, NMRA or club RPs and standards and gently nudge the new comer into being a better modeler. UP Phil and WP Tom were my mentors. Mentors would also host quarterly clinincs in improving car trackability, painting, detailing & weathering.

Good Luck. It is hard work to keep members once they get past the initial attraction.

Back