Anyone else take long breaks in building?

adurbin

Im new to model railroading, just started last year. I came out of the gate flying wanting to get everything done at once, get the layout built, and run trains. I quickly realized that this is not a hobby that one can rush, and be able to appreciate the results. Anyway, it seems like as soon as summer time hit, the MR thing went on the back burner. I look at it everyday downstairs as it is in my entertainment room with big screen, blu ray and xbox, and want to pick up where I left off, only to find myself preoccupied with something else. Anyone else have this issue?

I go through cycles ... sometimes I am able to and only want to focus on my trains, other times I focus on other hobbies, like you. All things in moderation, right? :D

Aaron, I've been playing with trains for 31 years now. The longest break I took was 5 years. But I always come back to it. ;)

When you get my age & in Retirement it seems like there is not enough time to accomplish all that I want to do. I try to work on 2 or 3 projects at the same time, so, I don't get bored. It's to damn hot to work in the trainroom after 9am, so, I always make sure I've got a project to keep up my interest in my A/C controlled workshop.
I've got 3 major projects to do on the layout now, but w/the heat can't start on them till it cools down a little. Probably about Nov. If I didn't have this huge layout to work on I would go NUTS. I get bored real easy & when that lasts to long I start looking for a job.
That's what happened in 2003. I had retired in 2001 at age 63. By jan. of 2003 I started looking for a job. Went to work for WM & worked there till 2007. Started on this layout that I have now in Sept. of 2007. There's not any empty spaces to add on, but, I always manage to find an opening or change something to get an opening. My wife says I should add another layer above what I have now. can't, wouldn't be able to reach it w/out a ladder & I can't stand on a ladder to long w/out going to the hosp. w/my bad back. It's all in my priorities. When I come up her in the house to play on the puter during the day I feel like I'm shirking my duties away from my hobby. I haven't did any metal sculptures since 2004, toooo much work. The layout is relaxation & that's my goals for the rest of my life & i want to live to be a hundred. I write down all of my want to do's for the layout & try to accomplish them in a year. Right now my list is 175 strong.
Now you know why I use the "Long Winded Old Fart" below my Avatar. LOL
Jerome, the longest break I ever took was 18 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer is often a slower time for modelling for me. Usually because of other outdoor stuff like fishing I want to do. It helps me to have other activites as well to keep from getting burned out on modelling.

im taking it slomo during summer, today i cleaned the rails and added another 3feet of track. I dont like to be interupted so i only work when im sure i will finish what i started.
spend the rest of the time working and trying to learn to fly my rc plane :)

I think a lot of people cycle through periods of activity and no activity. Too many distractions and MR-ing is not something we schedule like a weekly tee time.

I moved my HO shelf switcher to my loft last week and laid some roadbed on my N-scale HCD but I'm spending more time at the pool and on the Net right now than working on trains.

wintertime...Model RR, Plastics, indoor activities

Summertime.. Cars, trucks, music events,Motorcycling and other outdoor activities.

Been doing this for the last 20 years....

I had one major drop in interest about 2 years after I returned to the hobby. After a lot of encouragement from fellow modelers, I got back into the saddle and haven't looked back (not counting honey-do's, camping, fishing, etc. :D ) I blame this major event as just plain ole burnout...too much...too quick! ;)

You just cannot rush it. If you feel burnt out, take a break. You WILL feel interested in continuing.
I haven't been able to clear the design process since I started last year. I have some lumber in the room which is an uninsulated sauna in the summer by the way.
With things like school in the way, I will be able to manage my time here and not overdo things. I already cannot wait till October-November, those are two NICE months.
I hope the room I plan to work in will be fully conditioned and set up to follow THIS plan which is final, liaised with my folk, and almost ready to go.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21193&d=1279389634
To come up with the grounds for that cost 10 months. I kept conceiving, conceiving, and conceiving. A wee bit of frustration took over but I took breaks. If I didn't, I would still end up with a terrible and sloppy idea. (Besides the helix which is intentionally turning the other way, I'm fine... There's always a use for that space.)

Back