An HO Version of the LAJ

cajon

Here's my plan for an HO scale Los Angeles Junction RR in 6'x10'. It's mostly fictional w/ only a few spots on the real LAJ shown. The J was served by Santa Fe, SP & UP back in the day. Now it's owned by BNSF. My era is 1960s so no BuNSnifF on this layout!
Most of the plan is based on my railfanning & RR experiences. But most of the industries are based on available structure kits, especially Walthers. Some will have to be scratch built. Tried to get as many types of industries & cars to be switched in the available space (my 10'x14' living room). Considering making some industries lift out to get a little more switching variety. In the middle are the numbers & types cars (Santa Fe's not AAR) for each industry spot.
Not shown is a 4/5 track yard (4' long) off the top left. This will also serve as the Santa Fe & UP interchanges as they used the same track off the UP San Pedro Sub. The Santa Fe (BNSF) connects w/ the UP near Hobart Tower. Will put the SP one in the bottom right somehow.
The layout will be built using existing modules (3-2'x4', 1-2'x2', 1-1'x6' & 1-4'x4' corner). The "trapezoid" shaped one will be new.
Nothing about this layout is cast in concrete. Questions & constructive criticisms are more than welcome.

Josh there's a connection w/ your MET RR on this plan. No. 10 is based on S&W Fine Foods and there were alot of LNAC boxcars stenciled "WHEN EMPTY RETURN TO MET".

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't recall seeing actual MET boxcars just the ones stenciled "WHEN EMPTY...". But will look into the kinds of boxcars went to S&W back in the '60s at the SFRHMS mini meet this Sat. In fact will ask about the MET also. Are you doing just the modern era?

Don't recall seeing actual MET boxcars just the ones stenciled "WHEN EMPTY...". But will look into the kinds of boxcars went to S&W back in the '60s at the SFRHMS mini meet this Sat. In fact will ask about the MET also. Are you doing just the modern era?

Yeah, well a little of the past, but mostly the modern era for the M&ET lol. The only thing that will be from the past is the 9 70-Tonners I will have. All of them are currently retired now, which is sad to many people :( But I will be modeling 9 of the 15 they had over the years

Here's the yard for the LAJ plan. It's not very big but there's only so much space in my living room!

After reading Charlie Slater's article in the Oct. '03 issue of the Warbonnet on the LAJ, came up w/ this latest track plan. Tried to include a few more LAJ locales rather than mostly freelance. Have a reasonably good representation of the joint LAJ/ATSF Fruitland Yard on left side of plan. It can be seen on google maps (between Seville AV & Pacific BL east-west & Leonis BL- Fruitland AV north-south). There's almost 40 spots in the plan now (if yard & engine tracks are counted) to be switched. The article has a few track charts that need to be researched to see what fits my '60s era. Have two S-2s that will be painted for the LAJ. So now the work begins!

Will you operate from inside the pit or walk around the outside of the whole layout or ?
The top & right sides of layout are against walls. Will have to do both especially to work the Fruitland Yard. Will have layout high enough so duckunders won't be too bad.

Hoping to get started w/in the month Josh. Getting tired of just making plans. Check out the narrow board changes. And there are places on the LAJ that are that cramped!

Just purchased this aerial of Fruitland Yard ($5.00) from historicaerials.com. Here's a link to it:
http://www.historicaerials.com/orders.aspx
Josh you could probably do the same w/ your MET. Just found out that you have to be registered w/ them to view it so when received will scan it & post it here.

LAJ Layout Version VI

Here's another variation of my LAJ plan:
http://tinyurl.com/ycng95y
The basic track work will stay the same. But there will be some tweaking to the actual spur configurations & industries as more data is accumulated. The LAJ doesn't run in a circle, just wanted one to break in locos & DCC setups. Actual operation will be out & back to switch each side of the layout. Could probably have 3 operators including one for the yard. Comments are more than welcome

LOL... 20 revisions later, sounds like what I went through recently with my new layout. I finally stopped revisions, and got to construction, and within 3 months I have about half the trackwork completed already.

But, I do like your last plan, really like that yard, alot of operations opportunity.

Now... hurry up and get to building already!! :D

Yes it's time to get to working on the RR! And yes getting tired of drawing new plans all the time. First thing is to get the modules ready and at a good height. Want it high enough so the duckunders are easy on my back. Then lay down the basic oval w/ a few yard & spur tracks to practice switching. Just waiting for my next retirement $$ on the 1st!

Having spent too much time RESEARCHING & DESIGNING, have to get busy BUILDING this RR. LOL Let me know what you think of this version. Will build the basic oval & a couple of yard tracks first to do some DCC testing & running. Then will add the spurs & structures to the layout a little at a time to see how things fit. And of course this plan won't be what the final layout looks like either.
[:)] [;)]

Still doing too much doodling w/ this plan, but will get to building by next weekend! Used ideas from Josh Mader's MET plan for this version w/ 4 peninsulas. This version gives me over 50 spots to be switched! The 2 peninsulas on the right will have a bridge between them for DCC loco testing & break-in. This side will also be the first built. Only need one new 2' X 4' module to get this side up and running.

Click on the link below to see the plan. It's in two halves because the plan is too big to get it small enough for here. After opening the link, click on one image to see the larger size. Then click on the arrows above to flip between the two sides of the plan.

http://tinyurl.com/yaapfcz

As always comments are welcome.

Just build it already!! Are you an accountant btw? ;)

Like the latest plan though, more switching opportunities.

No not an accountant. Just a retired archaeologist, but did count alot of stone artifacts!. Lived in Denver '74-'78. Were you guys in existence back then? You guys go to any of the Ops sessions there or down Pueblo way?

Lived in Denver most of my life. Yes I'm 40 so I was around in the 70s. I just recently went to check out the Model RR Layout in Denver Union Station that has been there since 1930s. It really cool.

Havent' been to Pueblo though. Who has a layout there?

Back