An HO Version of the LAJ

Here's another version for your perusal.

http://tinyurl.com/y744exy

Moved the yard to the top giving me another peninsula for switching AND a longer yard. All the modules are 2'x6' except small one on left side. The empty one on right will get an expanded version of John Allen's Timesaver to play with. There's plenty of plans on the internet. But alot of the links are dead now! Gotta get busy building this layout starting 5/1! Let me know what you think of this one.

And there's still so much to learn about just the industries I'm modeling. Good thing my layout only covers a small portion of the J!

If you go modular, it's not that painful to rework a section(s) as you improve / modify your trackplan, so I'd get slammin'. Now if you revamp the entire trackplan, you're probably screwed, but....

And you can plunk down cardboard mock-ups for industries. Much easier to toss $2 worth of tape and cardboard than a $60 Walthers kit.

I have to ask though - can you realistically afford to buy and maintain all those turnouts? More power to you if you can and do, and I admire your plan, but you might want to think about that a bit as you proceed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's even some web sites that have paper buildings in HO scale. Already have alot of turnouts from my module club days & will be making some Fast Tracks also.

Okay! One last question and then I'll quit harping. Are you going to be a lonewolf operating this?

The LAJ is complex so I understand what you're doing, however it seems to me that if you operate alone, you'll have to do a lot of walking around and in and out of the "pits", etc.

That's not a slam on your latest design, just wondering. "It's no fun if it's a pain to run" or whatever the saying is...

Yes will definitely have other operators. Helping another guy build his layout & he has other guys helping w/ layouts so we'll have plenty of operators. So we'll also switch operating between the different layouts like they do in CO:
http://home.comcast.net/~rockyop/
On my layout could have an operator on each peninsula plus the yard. Could even have an operator for the staging yard. The idea there is that's were the cars from ATSF, PE, SP, & UP are coming/going to the J. Don't know if any did any switching on the J or just worked cars to/from the yard. Still more research! If it's just me will probably work from yard to one of the peninsulas. Of course the Fruitland yard on very left was served by both LAJ & Santa Fe. Had to take a little "modeler's license" to have just one track going to that yard.
Trying to think of ways to have the staging yard be some kind of elevator operation to somehow multiple car holders that can go up & /or down to avoid 0-5-0-ing the cars so much! Have seen MR mag articles showing how to raise/lower parts of a layout but not with multiple levels.
BTW the bridges will be lift-up or swing bridges so there won't be any ducking under.

Thanks nephthr
Used to have 2 Athearn CF7s but got rid of them as they didn't fit my modeling interests then. Starting out w/ the ALCO S-2s & S-4s as my modeling era now is the 60s. Have 3 S-2s & 2 S-42 now so only need 2 S-2s to fill out the LAJ ALCO roster. Have 4 Atlas & 1 Carey shell w/ Proto Power West chassis. Also have some Ernts(sp?) gears to put in that chassis. All of these will get the LAJ zebra stripe paint scheme & lettering.
Will eventually get the Athearn CF7s as they replaced the ALCOs because of CA air regs in '74. Hopefully Athearn has made some improvements over the old CF7s! They used regular Santa Fes until the mid '80s when got their own & lettered them LAJ.
Eventually will expand my eras to get some 0-6-0s as LAJ had their own plus they "borrowed" some Santa Fes. And maybe even get an MK 1200G. LOL And then need to get some ATSF, PE, SP, & UP locos as they used to show up for interchange service.
See attached a LAJ 1/7 picture & the LAJ roster.

I have to admit, although I like the Alco's I'm a huge fan of the CF7. I simply love the 70's as a modeling era. Planning on adding some more CF7s to my roster. Only have 1 at this stage and a pair of GP35s.

Finally some progress! Got the first of my steel stud frame modules up on legs. Two more to go & then track laying. The frame was made using 8' studs folded into 2'x6' L shape. 1/4" plywood backing was glued inside the studs for more support. 1"x4" blocks added to to each corner for same reason & screwing the two L shapes together. Also added 3"x3" blocks where the legs are bolted to the frame. We made a jig to drill the leg holes. The top consists of 1/4" plywood w/ 1/2" homosote (soundboard) glued to that. No need to add any kind of roadbed material as the LAJ track didn't use any in the places I'm modeling. Here's a link to some pix:
http://picasaweb.google.com/107389354387456095061/LAJMODULES?feat=email#

Made some more progress getting two of the modules on their legs.
http://picasaweb.google.com/107389354387456095061/LAJMODULES#
They were made from 2 8' steel studs folded into 2'x6' L shaped frames & bolted together. The studs are reinforced w/ 1/4"x3"x6' plywood & 1"x2" blocks in the corners. Also added 1"x3"x3" blocks where the legs are bolted to the frame. The top is homosote (aka soundboard) glued on top of 1/4" plywood then screwed to the frame.
The track will be laid on the homosote w/o cork. The LAJ rarely used sub-roadbed, just some ballast right on the ground surface.
Was going to start w/ the u shape modules on right side. But now thinking it will be easier to lay the whole yard & get it running right then add the left two peninsulas later.

Glad to hear you FINALLY started building your new layout. Keep at it, we want to see some trains running by 2 weeks.

Back