1/87th Vehicles

Picked up the asphalt roller and crane (both matchbox) from wally world last night. I had picked up a couple of rollers from IHC for a buck awhile back and the Matchbox quality is alot better. Also picked up the dump truck, looks a little small but perfect for towards the back.

Had some success on E-bay this week. Trying to find suitable forklifts seems to be a bane in this hobby. While you can find some crude ones for less than $10, the first good one cost about that much (the various Wiking models). But those are generally models of smaller factory forklifts, and not the off-road style needed for sawmills and lumber yards. The first good off-road model there is the GHQ metal kit that runs about $15, but that is a model of a forklift that is a little on the light side of what I'm thinking of. The only model that really fits the bill is a mid sized Kalmar forklift that will set you back $34.

The toy market has generally been no help. A while back I kitbashed a Tomica model into a reasonable model of a sawmill style of forklift. But trying to find more of the Tomica model at a reasonable price is near impossible (I found that initial model in grocery store toy section for about a $1). Both Matchbox and Hot Wheels have produced good looking forklifts. But they have been physically large models of small prototypes, making them roughly O scale, and not suitable for HO use.

So scouring E-bay the other day, I came across a auction for a couple of forklits that by all appearances seemed to be what I was looking for. So I took a gamble and bought both for $9 including shipping. I'm pleased to report that the forklifts are perfect for my needs as the photo shows. This is a mill area that I've been working on at the club layout, and the forklift was needed for loading flatcars. The forks do move up and down and there is a two-stage lift mechanism. With a little detail painting a and weathering, I'll have a good little model.

Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a source for more of these vehicles. I've gone so far as to E-mail the maker Golden Wheel for a US seller of the line, but haven't received a response yet. So if you see the Golden Wheel Construction force line in a store, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had some success on E-bay this week. Trying to find suitable forklifts seems to be a bane in this hobby. While you can find some crude ones for less than $10, the first good one cost about that much (the various Wiking models). But those are generally models of smaller factory forklifts, and not the off-road style needed for sawmills and lumber yards. The first good off-road model there is the GHQ metal kit that runs about $15, but that is a model of a forklift that is a little on the light side of what I'm thinking of. The only model that really fits the bill is a mid sized Kalmar forklift that will set you back $34.

The toy market has generally been no help. A while back I kitbashed a Tomica model into a reasonable model of a sawmill style of forklift. But trying to find more of the Tomica model at a reasonable price is near impossible (I found that initial model in grocery store toy section for about a $1). Both Matchbox and Hot Wheels have produced good looking forklifts. But they have been physically large models of small prototypes, making them roughly O scale, and not suitable for HO use.

So scouring E-bay the other day, I came across a auction for a couple of forklits that by all appearances seemed to be what I was looking for. So I took a gamble and bought both for $9 including shipping. I'm pleased to report that the forklifts are perfect for my needs as the photo shows. This is a mill area that I've been working on at the club layout, and the forklift was needed for loading flatcars. The forks do move up and down and there is a two-stage lift mechanism. With a little detail painting a and weathering, I'll have a good little model.

Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a source for more of these vehicles. I've gone so far as to E-mail the maker Golden Wheel for a US seller of the line, but haven't received a response yet. So if you see the Golden Wheel Construction force line in a store, please let me know.

I found thier website and did some other Google searching but it appears they dont make these vehicles anymore. Didnt find anything related in this line.

http://www.goldenwheeldiecast.com/product.asp?cata6id=805

Found this today at an Ace Hardware store near me. It had a keychain attached to the rear bumper, which was quickly removed! For $2.98 it was a deal! 1:86 scale (close enough) and its a pull back-n-go car!
copcar.JPG

Now, I gotta figure out LED lighting for the light bar!

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this today at an Ace Hardware store near me. It had a keychain attached to the rear bumper, which was quickly removed! For $2.98 it was a deal! 1:86 scale (close enough) and its a pull back-n-go car!
copcar.JPG

Now, I gotta figure out LED lighting for the light bar!

At least it'll be easy for the criminals to get away, they gotta back up to go forwards! :eek::D

Well and how to you this? It from metal! :)
Has bought for 210 roubles these are 7 dollars.

I bought 4 of those in diff. colors when Hotwheels were selling them. Paid 97 cents each. Mine are metal too. The dump body is plastic.:D
Mine are not as detailed as your's though.

I bought 4 of those in diff. colors when Hotwheels were selling them. Paid 97 cents each. Mine are metal too. The dump body is plastic.:D
Mine are not as detailed as your's though.

At you in America other prices for the goods.
Well and if goods sale so is the present sale!)))

At us very different prices for one goods))

Larry! Sorry - http://www.translate.ru

Frenchman minibus

And how to you this Frenchman? To it it is a lot of years! But it is the present Frenchman!

Metall - 100%
:)

And how to you this Frenchman? To it it is a lot of years! But it is the present Frenchman!

Metall - 100%

I have a friend in the Philippines that makes a lot of his own vehicles out of metal trucks that I send to him about once a year. usually the postage is a lot more than the vehicles are worth. I sent him 10 cab-over tractors & he used them to make 10 buses. He carved the bus bodies out of blocks of resin & then used the front & rear wheels & the front of the trucks to finish the models.

Back