1/87th Vehicles

I'm up here in Franklin, NC on vacation & found a bunch of the new vehicles.
Toy dept. mgr. says no one buys any of these 1/87th vehicles here. They're shelves are loaded up w/tons of the old & new vehicles. Looks like no HO scale customers in this town.
There's no hobby shops here either.

Larry

There's been a slow down everywhere, but who needs 10+ Dodge Viper SRT-10's and Porsche Carera's?

Josh,

There's a ton of the Ford Pinto's in different models left on all shelves.
When WM was selling all of the Ford & Dodge vans I think I bought all that was left in south Fla. I got about 50 of them at my local WM for 25 cents ea. Someday I'm going to sand about half of them & change the colors. maybe some 2 tones & racing stripes & rusted out around the bottom like all of the old Ford vans did back when. :)

Larry

Yeah, I bought a dozen of the vans @ 50 cents, but heck if I'll ever clear out the 8 boxes of Malibu cars, when I have most of them already. In fact, I need another car storage box.

I wish we had the Reel Rides, Malibu Semi's or Fresh Cherries in my Wal*Mart, I have to scour about 6 different stores to find one car. Still looking for the Reel Rides Caddy.

There's been a slow down everywhere, but who needs 10+ Dodge Viper SRT-10's and Porsche Carera's?

Actually I was about to ask if anyone knew what they have seen as an over abundance of a certain type car, truck or van in the Mailbu series in their local Walmarts.
I've been planning on adding a dealership to my layout but I've not been able to find a certain type car company, i.e. Chrysler, Chevrolet, Ford. I wanted to include auto transport trains as well but can't find enough of one set of cars in a variety of colors or one set of car company cars either.

I may just have to hit all four Walmarts in the area and see what I can dig up.

Scott

Just a hint to everyone. I've been trying to find the newer run of Malibu Semi's that actually say 1:87 on the plate under the truck. Well I found the Peterbilt 377 today in black & yellow at Toys-r-us, for $1.98, on sale. They had the Volvo too, but I have no need for a European prototype truck.

Just a hint to everyone. I've been trying to find the newer run of Malibu Semi's that actually say 1:87 on the plate under the truck. Well I found the Peterbilt 377 today in black & yellow at Toys-r-us, for $1.98, on sale. They had the Volvo too, but I have no need for a European prototype truck.

Watch the roads...there are plenty of Volvo trucks on the hiways here in the States!

Rotor

I was in a Super WM today up by Dillsboro. NC & found the new malibu reel rides of the Mini Cooper. I got 2 different colors, the blue & the red. There was also some other cars in diff. colors of the 1's I already have. Also, they had some of the new colors in the Hot Wheels line. I don't need anymore hot rods. On the way home saturday I'm stopping at some more WM's on 441 in NC & Ga. Hope to find some more new one's that I can use on the layout.
Malibu seems to be making a lot of reruns of the cars they started out w/in the beginning & just changing the colors. There's a lot of the liter colors coming out. Also, a lot of the Pacers & Pinto's have bright colors in the new bunch. By the time I get back home I'll have about 20 new vehicles to add to my already large asst. of cars & trucks. Like a few of you have said, "I must have all of the cars that are made, because no one else can find any."
Well, when U are a collector & a Model RR'er there's no sense in stopping now.
I guess I'm trying to hoard all of the vehicles cause I figure I must have about 250 total.:D

Larry:)

Watch the roads...there are plenty of Volvo trucks on the hiways here in the States!

Rotor

Though this is a Daf, do they look like this!?
13.jpg

Or are *you* talking about this:
paper%5C11719%5C76919999.jpg

Malibu Volvo:
mbu6411_lg.jpg

ton (by Tonkin) Volvo:
tk8701_lg.jpg

General Knowledge, did you know Mack, Volvo, Renault & Nissan trucks are all owned by Volvo?
http://www.volvo.com/group/global/en-gb

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I was about to ask if anyone knew what they have seen as an over abundance of a certain type car, truck or van in the Mailbu series in their local Walmarts.
I've been planning on adding a dealership to my layout but I've not been able to find a certain type car company, i.e. Chrysler, Chevrolet, Ford. I wanted to include auto transport trains as well but can't find enough of one set of cars in a variety of colors or one set of car company cars either.

I may just have to hit all four Walmarts in the area and see what I can dig up.

Scott

well, if you wanted to open up an exotic car dealership i could help you out. plenty pf porches in my WM. by maliby and hot wheels. I was actually going to look for another caddy for jb and possibly offer to trade...but ill let you know this weekend if they have any more..

Though this is a Daf, do they look like this!?
13.jpg

Or are *you* talking about this:
paper%5C11719%5C76919999.jpg

Malibu Volvo:
mbu6411_lg.jpg

ton (by Tonkin) Volvo:
tk8701_lg.jpg

General Knowledge, did you know Mack, Volvo, Renault & Nissan trucks are all owned by Volvo?
http://www.volvo.com/group/global/en-gb

Josh, I see both kinds on the road here around Atlanta. I see a lot of the cabover style as city delivery trucks, or "box" trucks.

I still haven't found any of the semis yet. :rolleyes:

I did not know Volvo owned Mack, Renault and Nissan trucks.

Rotor

I've seen other styles of the Volvo cab-over, never that style though, at least here in Cali. Some hacking to remove that sleeper, and you might have a convincing FL, but it varies a bit from an FH (or FH-16 in the case of the Malibu). There are some Malibu FL style box vans out there... ;)

Josh, I see both kinds on the road here around Atlanta. I see a lot of the cabover style as city delivery trucks, or "box" trucks.

I still haven't found any of the semis yet. :rolleyes:

I did not know Volvo owned Mack, Renault and Nissan trucks.

Rotor

Paccar owns Peterbuilt and Kenworth. Chrysler owns Freightliner, Western Star and Sterling.

There used to be a joke going around on the CB, The nickname for Freightliner is Freightshaker. The joke went " You know that Peterbuilt, Kenworth and Freightliner Merged, They are going to just make one truck and are going to call it
PeterWorthShakin

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few I picked up today at Wallyworld.

VolvoVT880.jpg

FreightlinerFLD13570inchStandup.jpg

Peterbilt.jpg

Just to bad I cant find one of my Car to add to the collection.
I have three Fieros one is at the body shop getting some body work and then painted But this one is my Daily driver when I am at home.

Don88.jpg

BTW that Barn is at Old Town in Burlington Colorado. They have an old Train station there as well.

Volvo Cabovers are not very popular here. Infact Cabovers are not very popular at all here. There are two major reasons for that. One is cabovers ride so rough that most drivers me included will not drive them. Second is if you run head on with something your the first thing on the sceen in a cabover. I like to have a nice long nose infront of me so it takes the impact if it ever happins, and they ride better. However the New Volvo VT770 which is what you see Swift Transportation using has air ride under the front axle as well and that makes it one of the best riding trucks out. Most trucks still have leaf Springs on the Steer Axle.
I am driving a Kenworth T-800 now myself.

MorehouseTruck.jpg

Nice trucks Boilerbuster! I frequently see about, say, 40% of the trucks I see, being COE. Lots of newer Freightliners. Engine access in them is a nightmare.

Wish I could find that Volvo, and Peterbilt.

Good score on the trucks Boilerbuster. I've been keeping my eyes out for them for a couple of weeks now and haven't seen anything that I like yet. Lots of purple or maroon around here which do nothing for me.

I did find a few autos myself this week and they were all on sale at Wal-Mart for $1.00 too.

VW "Kafer" Beetle in mint green
VW "Kafer" Beetle in navy blue
Porsche Cayenne in silver
Land Rover Range Rover Sport in burnt orange
BMW 7 Series in black

Volvo Cabovers are not very popular here. Infact Cabovers are not very popular at all here. There are two major reasons for that. One is cabovers ride so rough that most drivers me included will not drive them. Second is if you run head on with something your the first thing on the sceen in a cabover. I like to have a nice long nose infront of me so it takes the impact if it ever happins, and they ride better. However the New Volvo VT770 which is what you see Swift Transportation using has air ride under the front axle as well and that makes it one of the best riding trucks out. Most trucks still have leaf Springs on the Steer Axle.
I am driving a Kenworth T-800 now myself.

MorehouseTruck.jpg

Cabovers are a dying breed everywhere I'm thinking, just don't see them as much in the USA. More widely accepted over the big pond in the UK I think.

Another thing that is differant here in the states is we live in our trucks for extended time. Some drivers stay on the road for a month or more at a time.
I stay out for 5 to 7 days at a time myself. I jusst couldnt stand living in anything smaller. Besides that this Kenworth is almost too small for me. I used to drive a Freightliner and they are larger inside then these Kenworths are. When I stayed out for a month at a time I even had a small TV in the truck with me.

Back