1/87th Vehicles

This has been discussed before and the consensus is that you're probably right. I know my local WM's have all Malibu's at $1 and $5 for a five vehicle set. The supply is shrinking and I haven't seen any new vehicles being stocked in a few months. Snap them up while you can.

I get quite a few visitors that are trying to start a new HO scale layout & are looking for ideas. It's amazing how many of them have never noticed that WM sells 1/87th vehicles. I tell them where I get all mine & they say, "really",
"I didn't know you could buy stuff like that at WM". So, as long as people don't know this there's going to be tons of them on the shelves. I look to see the prices drop even more just before Christmas on 1/87th.

Larry

for the first time i saw semi cabs at my WM in 1/87. I also cuaght an audi A6 (it wasnt on sale).

Surprisingly, they had a whole box of Sam Rothsteins caddy.

CSNO_1.jpg

also had the 72 chevy from dazed and confused in 1/24 for 11 bucks in the clearance asile

DC1_1.jpg

the 67 plymouth drop top also available, but im unsure about convertables on my layout. it would look funny driving down the street with no one in it:D. I guess i could just leave it parked. anyone ever weather tese little things?

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a new release about a week to ten days before the price drop. This set included a Mercedes Sedan, Two colors of Audis, a Mercedes Station Wagon, and a few other vehicles.

for the first time i saw semi cabs at my WM in 1/87.

the 67 plymouth drop top also available, but im unsure about convertables on my layout. it would look funny driving down the street with no one in it:D. I guess i could just leave it parked. anyone ever weather tese little things?

I use the convertibles in the parking lots & at drive-in restaurants, quick stops, like KFC, White Castle, Burger King etc. Also, in car lots & dealerships.
I only have about 150 vehicles, so, have plenty to go around.
This time around I don't have enough room for my 150 semi's that I used on the last layout.

Larry

The dozer is semi-close, still about 1:95 though. The backhoe, about 1:105, the Mini-loader, about 1:100, Excavator about 1:180/200...

The most usable are the mini-loader, and dozer, as there are prototypes similar, though not made by Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcomotive
Attachment 5160
View attachment 10228

View attachment 10229

hmmmmmmmm....nice!

Well dang, I guess I'll ignore them from now on! The person "quoted" was told by a CAT dealer that they never offered an XL D5...

Last edited by a moderator:
for the first time i saw semi cabs at my WM in 1/87. I also cuaght an audi A6 (it wasnt on sale).

Surprisingly, they had a whole box of Sam Rothsteins caddy.

CSNO_1.jpg

also had the 72 chevy from dazed and confused in 1/24 for 11 bucks in the clearance asile

DC1_1.jpg

A-slide...Which WM? I need semi-trucks, and the Caddy's cool! I'd also like to score some of those old Chevy PU trucks in HO.

Rotor

PS...you get the airbrush going?

the airbrush works fine, thanks a lot for all your help. ill be seeing you sometime in the future for that dual action.

this is the WM on old national. thats where they had all the caddys. the semi cabs looked european, and they only had a couple left. I think i got the last volvo. the 72 chevy was in 1/24 scale only - they didnt have any 1/87 chevys. but that walmart is funny with their 1/87 vehicles. one day they wont have anything, the next day they'll have this amazing stuff i have never seen before (like the Audi A6). I hope they still have all that stuff on saturday (payday).

I was at Wally World and I found this grey "Purple Passion".
Anyone else see these things?

I have the black w/the red flame job & the blue 1 w/the orange & red flame job. There's also the model T rod that is black & 1 that is blue.
That must be the new colors coming out that Hot Wheels talked about in their last email notifaction.

Larry

Well, I guess WM's 1/87th stock has been deleted. I've been to about 5 diff. stores in the past 4 weeks & all of their vehicles are in the clearance isles.
No more HotWheels Ho vehicles either. I asked when they were going to get the new run of HotWheels & they said they weren't. That when all of the ones that they had left in clearance were gone that would be it. They still haven't lowered the prices in the clearance isles from the regular shelf price. The reg. cars are $1.00 ea. & the 5 packs are $5.00 ea. & the camper & cars are $1.00 ea. In the Arcadia store there must be 10 cases of each set.
I did find some 1/87th cat vehicles on 1/64th tractor & trailer sets.
last week I was in Big Lots & they are starting to get in some more close to HO scale airplanes. B-17, B-29, DC-3, Seaplanes & some smaller commercial jets.

Larry

I think its a selective thing Larry. I recently checked out the Wal*mart in Kingman AZ, and they had 4-5 cases of everything but the Malibu Semis' and the new issue of Reel Rides. In fact, I got myself one of each of Hot Wheels' 1/87 Speed Racer cars!

Don't know, Josh, but the two Walmarts in my area have completely eliminated the Malibu vehicles. They sold them off at a buck a piece and they haven't had any in about a month now. They have also completely eliminated any kind of hobby merchandise, like Testors paint and model kits. I asked the toy department manager what was going on and she said that all the smaller vehicles and hobby stuff is being eliminated because it wasn't meeting the new Walmart profit goals by product line. :(

Jim, I was the only one buying any of the 1/87th cars at my WM except the Nascar vehicles. Once as I stated many pages back I bought 2 or 3 cases of cars about 2 years ago for 50 cents ea. I've been watching my store now when ever I go there to see if they lower the price like that again. If they do, I'll buy them all & sell them at the train show for a profit. They still have a lot of the Malibu trucks too. Don't need any of those or the cars w/the campers. The semi's are not in clearance.

Larry

Back