1/87th Vehicles

The El Camino I would say '60-61. The wagon is a Ford '55-56 Customline shape but being a 2Dr (which we didn't get out this way) may have another title. Looks to have been a competitor for the Chevy Nova. Strangely enough it was only last week that I spoke with the owner of a restored Fairlane 4Dr sedan and it had the same chrome side trims.

For a relatively small (but growing) northern Brisbane suburb, Caboolture is becoming a hotspot of rare cars. Just an hour or so ago a '56 Thunderbird passed in front of me at the traffic lights, turquoise in color and yes, it had a white "porthole" hardtop (and I couldn't get my mobile (cell) out of my pocket fast enough to get a pic before it was gone.

A couple of weeks ago, while walking my dogs there was a De Lorean parked outside a local plumbing supplies and my phone was at home getting charged. I think the driver was in there trying to get some S/steel polish for it.

Those Peugeots were sold in North America, but with quad round headlights. The Ford wagon is a German Ford Taunus from the late 50's to early 60's. A few Ford dealers in America sold them. Several years ago a guy in my neighborhood had one. His little wagon was two tone dark green and white. He told me that his was one of three known to still exist in the US, and that his was the only one of the three that was driveable. But then, he had the entire drive train from a 5.0 Mustang installed in his Taunus.
The El Camino by Brekina is a '59.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Peugeots were sold in North America, but with quad round headlights. The Ford wagon is a German Ford Taunus from the late 50's to early 60's. A few Ford dealers in America sold them. Several years ago a guy in my neighborhood had one. His little wagon was two tone dark green and white. He told me that his was one of three known to still exist in the US, and that his was the only one of the three that was driveable. But then, he had the entire drive train from a 5.0 Mustang installed in his Taunus.

Ah, my dating's a little out then, we did tend to get our US built imports about a year or so after release, also cars out here get their model year from when that happened rather than the US practice of releasing the next years model in the previous summer.

Did think the Ford wagon looked a bit small against the loco, the styling was much more faithful to the US prototype than the English 6 cyl Zephyr that was the last to be produced here before the Falcons took over.

Attachments

• 59 Impala.jpg
    59 Impala.jpg
    628.9 KB · Views: 188
1959. My hot rod is a 1959 Impala.

I'm not that fond of the look of the early or mid fifties cars, but I do like that 59 Impala look. Very stylish looking car. Looks fantastic! I especially like the look of the windshield and the rear fins. Is that what they are called, fins?

Thanks. I don't recall when and where I got the Ford. As for the Peugeot, it will have to depict a Peugeot visiting North America on my future layout.

I'm not that fond of the look of the early or mid fifties cars, but I do like that 59 Impala look. Very stylish looking car. Looks fantastic! I especially like the look of the windshield and the rear fins. Is that what they are called, fins?

Yes, it has tail fins. This was a 2 year project. It was taken down to the frame and just about remanufactured. Four wheel disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering, complete suspension work and the engine was replaced with a Corvette C06 engine hooked up to a six speed manual transmission.

Yes, it has tail fins. This was a 2 year project. It was taken down to the frame and just about remanufactured. Four wheel disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering, complete suspension work and the engine was replaced with a Corvette C06 engine hooked up to a six speed manual transmission.

Skookum! Thanks for sharing. It does look like it came right off the assembly line.

Skookum! Thanks for sharing. It does look like it came right off the assembly line.

This is my other vice besides model railroading. I will have to admit that model railroading doesn't cost quite as much. Hving no hobby shops anywhere near close by, when I run out of railroad projects, it's out to the shop and time to work on cars.

This is my other vice besides model railroading. I will have to admit that model railroading doesn't cost quite as much. Hving no hobby shops anywhere near close by, when I run out of railroad projects, it's out to the shop and time to work on cars.

The only cars I ever worked on were plastic kits in the 1970's.

If you look close at this old photo from the early 70's, you can see some of them on my desk that I had when I was a kid. The desk is a steel desk from a railway office. It was the time when I just started taking interest in girls and my mother wallpapered my wall with trains. So uncool.

This isn't my photo, but I picked this up from the LHS yesterday at half price

tdn90201.jpg

It's a Massachusetts State Police van. It's made by Trident.

Wikingnoch.jpg

I just recieved a package of 1/87 scale vehicles from Walthers. I got the Wiking set of three Chevrolet trucks, and I also ordered the three Noch motorcycles (Honda, BMW and Norton). Next time I order from Walthers, I may order the Noch BMW motorcycle with side car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back