Search results

1. J

BLI vs MTH K4s

Was intending to purchase an HO BLI PRR K4, which just hit the market recently, but noticed that MTH is advertising a K4 in their 2013 HO catalog. Would anyone care to comment on these two units or the general pros and cons of BLI vs MTH steamers. Thanks
  2. J

Bachmann Decoder Question

Posted this question on the locomotive thread, got no answers, hoping some of you DCC guys can anwer: I bought a used Bachmann Spectrum SD45, that is DCC equipped, from a LHS. I would like to add sound and am looking for some advice. Should and could a separate sound device be added to this...
  3. J

Spectrum PRR SD45

Just picked up a used Bachmann Spectrum SD45, that is DCC equipped, from a LHS. I would like to add sound and am looking for some advice. Should and could sound be added to this unit just by the addition of a card and speaker or should I install a new card which incorporates DCC and sound. :)
  4. J

Painting Framework

Never gave much thought to painting the 1x4s or the underside of my frameork. Do the wood components need to be painted for preservation or would the paint just be for eye appeal. I thought about using poly urethane (stink factor outweighs the benefit), oil based enamel (also stinky) or applying...
  5. J

MRC Prodigy Express

Anyone have experience with the MRC Prodigy Express. It looks like a good starter set to use on a small layout.
  6. J

Station Platforms

Hi, I am looking for some ideas and tips concerning the construction of two station platforms. I know that most platforms are concrete sections anchored to girders which run parallel to the tracks and are secured to footings. That said, I would like to translate those ideas to my layout. Thanks...
  7. J

Interlocking Control

As I plan, think and rethink my HO layout I am wondering how a modern modeller controls interlockings. Are products available that allow operators to control switches with push buttons, establishing routes using an entrance and exit type operation.
  8. J

Rotary Tools

I am planning to purchase a rotary tool and would like some input as to manufacturer and corded vs battery powered preferences.
  9. J

HO layout leg size

I am ready to begin building an 8ft x 2ft starter table top layout, which will consist of two 4ft x 2ft modules, bolted together with carriage bolts. I will be using 1 x 4 pine, to build the frame, but need some advice as to what size lumber to use for the legs. I have seen you tube videos...
  10. J

PRR Passenger Cars

I have been looking for some feedback from other modellers on the subject of PRR passenger cars, but since there have been no reponses, I figure that I probably worded the thread wrong. As a newly retired and returned HO modeller, interested in modelling pre PC PRR, I would like to purchase...
  11. J

MTH vs Walthers PRR Passenger Cars

Anyone else share my opinion that the Walthers PRR Broadway Limited cars are hands down winners in comparison to the MTH HO 5 car PRR passenger car set.
  12. J

Recently Retired

Hello to everyone. I am recently retired and have been a HO model railroad enthusiast, but not a practitioner for most of my life. Hoping to pursue my interests and construct a layout of some type in the near future. Three railroads have captivated me. The PRR, which was the railroad of my...

Back