Interlocking Control

Joe G

As I plan, think and rethink my HO layout I am wondering how a modern modeller controls interlockings. Are products available that allow operators to control switches with push buttons, establishing routes using an entrance and exit type operation.

I'd think a simple solution would be a toggle switch that kills one rail or another leading to the diamond.
There's likely a DCC thing out there that would do it automatically?

Besides upgrading to Pro Cab, is there anything else required for the mini panel? And on a smaller layout, would there there be a need to upgrade to 5 amp booster?

After writing the last thread I drove to the supermarket and thought about what I was looking to accomplish, establishment of a route by punching an entrance and exit into and thru the interlocking, proper alignment of necessary switches, track occupancy indication.

Knowing that the signal system I am familiar with used AC thru a signal rail with insulated rail joints to keep block sections isolated, I am wondering how any of this can be accomplished on an HO layout with DC powered rails.

I may have to set my sights a little lower.

Besides upgrading to Pro Cab, is there anything else required for the mini panel? And on a smaller layout, would there there be a need to upgrade to 5 amp booster?

No nothing else required. No need to upgrade to more amps. Of course you will need the pushbottons. Download the manual from their website.

The NCE mini-panel can run routes. And activated by pushbuttons.

This is what I plan on getting to use for my yard.

Do you have a source for the push buttons and track detectors?

I am still a little fuzzy about the electrical end of the operation, does the NCE equipment only work with a DCC system?

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but this link is to a company that makes mechanical interlocking for model railways (European prototype, probably English style).

http://modratec.com/

They have a program you can download (sigscribe) and then make your track plan with it to operate the points and signals with interlocking. It isn't modern CTC style, but it might help you to sort out how interlocking works.

http://modratec.com/ss4.php

I think with modern automatic and centralised train control, interlocking is just part of it. Maybe a dedicated computer running an approriate program? Would JMRI have something like this? Panel pro perhaps?

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/apps/PanelPro/PanelPro.shtml

Sorry I can't be more help. I like little railroads that don't need this level of safe working complexity. But I am interested to see what you figure out.

Paul, thanks for the links, will check them out this evening. I was curious as to what type of equipment is displayed in your heading.

Joe, the loco in my avatar pic is some sort of track mobile. It works the Toll container yard in Rocklea, Brisbane, Aust. I stumbled across it while hunting train pics around Brisbane earlier this year.

From the number of cars it was switching it must be reasonably high powered (by track mobile stardards). It runs on 3'6" gauge. Sorry, I have no other information I can give about it. But I attached some bigger photos.

Regards, Paul

Back