Search results

1. cdouglas

Decoder questions

For non sound I use nce d13srj which are $15 each. They have connection for motor, front and rear lights and 2 other lights (ditch, beacon, etc). If it's too big for loco, I have used digitrax n or z scale. I don't have any sound decoders, tried on and it blew out 30 seconds after install...
  2. cdouglas

coupler conversion

Yes, kadee also makes spacers in case the eye is smaller than the hole in the coupler
  3. cdouglas

coupler conversion

Most of mine are from 70's
  4. cdouglas

coupler conversion

I used kadee 148's. They are #5 couplers with whiskers as the springs so you don't need to use the inserts. They have worked in everything I have converted so far.
  5. cdouglas

iThrottle, first pure SRCP client for iPhone

Thought about trying it but there is no srcpd server for digitrax loconet as far as I could find. Without support for nce or digitrax, users might be hard to find here.
  6. cdouglas

iThrottle, suggestion for opensource iPhone app

I use both withrottle and engine driver along with jrmi and a pr3 to control my trains via a zephyr. I'm in the camp that would never buy a dedicated throttle. From your website, I can't really tell what your app does or how it connects. Better descriptions, diagrams, and screen shots would...
  7. cdouglas

3rd Annual "How Many" contest

150 for me please
  8. cdouglas

Weathering chalks disappearing when sealing black loco

I picked up some liquid dullcote and some Vallejo pigment tonight and will see how that goes using an airbrush to apply it. When airbrushing with dullcote, do you spray it straight or cut it with something?
  9. cdouglas

Weathering chalks disappearing when sealing black loco

Hello, I have been using chalks to weather cars and locos for a while and have liked the results but I tried my first black steam loco over the weekend and had problems. No matter what I did, the chalks completely disappeared after sealing with dullkote or Grumbacher chalk fixative. Based...
  10. cdouglas

DC controller

I have 2 dcc on board bachmanns that I have had no problems with and another 5 bachmann Thomas trains I added decoders too and they all work well too. Don't know about the turntable but will find out soon since I have one but haven't installed it yet.
  11. cdouglas

DC controller

Adding a hard wired decoder to an athearn is easy even if it's not dcc ready. Decoders themselves without sound are $15. Takes me about 10 mins to wire one in.
  12. cdouglas

Adding decoder to old Bachmann Northern

Thanks guys. I will either keep it dc or try to put a newer can motor in it. I'll measure the current draw just so I know.
  13. cdouglas

Recommended curve radius

With 4x8, 22" is largest radius you can run. My 6 axle diesels and passenger cars work ok on these and 4-8-4 steamers work. I think you might have problems with 2-10-2 if they don't specifically say what radius is supported. There is also a difference between working and looking good while...
  14. cdouglas

So shouldn't the decoder fry and not the motor? That makes perfect sense to me that the decoder would fry due to motor pulling more amps than what decoder is rated for.
  15. cdouglas

Out of curiosity, why would a decoder fry a motor if its feeding it the same 0-14v dc? I've always heard that if it runs good on DC, it should run good on DCC. I am not doubting you guys, just wondering why.
  16. cdouglas

I recently got an OLD HO Bachmann 4-8-4 with one of the pancake motors in it. Is not even one in the plastic housing, its built into the metal of the frame and has copper strips that run parallel to the frame from screws on either side of the main shaft to provide power. After a tuneup, its...
  17. cdouglas

Airbrush Question

I bought a 155 recently but haven't had a chance to try it out. I was trying an old HF single action and a Thayer and Chandler double and didn't like those. I will have mine hooked to my 25 gal compressor in my garage with a separate regulator and dryer.
  18. cdouglas

Athearn Bluebox SD9 to DCC?

yes. If using LED's, which I do, then hook blue to two 1k resistors in parallel, connect positive lead of each LED to resistor and then the negative side of each LED to white and yellow wires.
  19. cdouglas

Athearn Bluebox SD9 to DCC?

I have done a few BB's and I have used either Digitrax DH123 or NCE D13SRJ. I favor the NCE because I am starting to add ditch lights and the D13SRJ is the most economical solution for that I have found, but they are larger. Wiring is identical for both. Both support front and rear lights...
  20. cdouglas

Athearn BB Locos List

Hello, I am not sure where I got this, but wanted to share. It was originally a XLS file that I converted to a PDF so I can post here. If you want the XLS, PM me and I'll email it to you. Since I did not create this, I cannot verify its accuracy, but it has come in handy a few times...

Back