Weathering chalks disappearing when sealing black loco

cdouglas

Hello,
I have been using chalks to weather cars and locos for a while and have liked the results but I tried my first black steam loco over the weekend and had problems. No matter what I did, the chalks completely disappeared after sealing with dullkote or Grumbacher chalk fixative. Based on experience, some disappear is normal and you have to put the chalk on heavier than you really want, but the browns, greys and whites were completely gone, even after multiple application layers. The only way I got it to remotely work was to apply chalks while it was still wet, but it dries very fast. I did put down a base coat of dullkote before apply any chalks.

Are there any steps or tricks I am missing? I do have an airbrush but I haven't used it much and not comfortable doing a loco with it yet. Dullkote is applied from rattle can.

Thanks
Chris

I suggest that you either start using the airbrush or buy a different weathering powder, MIG is a popular brand that doesn't disappear when clearcoated.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with white chalks too. I used to use the rattle cans but switched over to my air brush which seemed to fix it. The dullcote seems to come a bit easier and not as heavy and fast. I think that's the problem I ran into, the dullcote was hittin the cars too hard and blasting off the chalk. If that makes sense

---
- Sent from my phone

To get better results from the weathering powders.

When you shoot it with Dullcoat, while it's still wet, apply your powders then.

Usually air brushing a coat of earth tone before using chalks works really well too. I usually spray the whole car with earth tone to fade it a bit then chalk it. That seems to help make the white and lighter colors stick well. The air brushed paints acts like a base to build on. I should have added this to my first post but didn't think of it until now haha

---
- Sent from my phone

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up some liquid dullcote and some Vallejo pigment tonight and will see how that goes using an airbrush to apply it. When airbrushing with dullcote, do you spray it straight or cut it with something?

I don't weather with chalks but I do use dullcoat all the time. For airbrush work I thin it with 40% Testors Metallizer thinner to 60% dullcoat. Dullcoat is a laquer and so is Metallizer. Commercial laquer thinners are a bit too "hot" and will soften and attack some paints that you apply it over. Keep your air pressure to the minimum needed for spraying and dust on 2 or 3 light coats rather than trying to cover it all at once.

Airbrush with very minimum air pressure, 10-15psi max. Keep your distance, and use very light coats. Have your chalk handy and put some on while the dullcote is still wet. If your airbrushing dullcote with laquer thinner, it's pretty much dry after hitting the model.

Back