DC controller

P

Photogdad

Ok, so since I am sticking with DC for now, DCC is nice but by the time you buy one dcc equipped loco and a decent dcc system, you've done broke the bank..lol. I am looking into different controllers an found this

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mrc/mrcab116.htm

I will have a smaller layout no bigger than 8x10, and I plan on having at least one train running while doing switching with another. I would like to know if this would work, and yes I am well aware of the wiring involved..lol, or should I go with two seperate controllers?

Any info and/or sites or blogs where I can read more about doing blocks and other nessary wiring.

Thanks,

If you want two trains operating at once independently, you will still need to set up multiple blocks with double-throw switches for each block.

The wiring is the same, whether you have two power packs in one case or two separate power packs.

If you ever might have another person over to run trains, it would be better, in my experience, to have two different power packs rather than have two people trying to use the two handles on the Dual Power.

If you've wired for DC blocks with multiple controllers before, then you know what you are getting into -- especially if you will have one or more reversing loops, turntables, or wyes.

As you probably know, the NCE PowerCab and similar DCC starter sets are street priced at less than $160.

Best of luck.

Just one man's opinion, but if you're thinking of two cabs, you won't spend much more money (if any) to get separate power packs for each one. They will give you more flexibility, and heaven forbid, if one side of your double controller fails, you'll have to replace the whole thing. I also think that separate controllers would work better if you ever have two operators.

Yeah, I got to thinking that two would be better than one after I posted it. I'd like to go DCC however the only locomotive I have is DC, and I would want to go with a NCE when I do switch over, but most locos I am finding for dcc are kinda pricey, though I don't need anything over 6 axels for diesel or anything bigger than a 4-8-4 in steam.

So yes I do believe I will go with to seperate controllers, but if you can suggest any decent 4 axel diesels with dcc then I might just step up to the NCE starter kit. So with that in mind, would I need any power boosters for the size layout I can do or would the starter set work fine for my operation? And there will be no reverse loops, wyes or turn tables at this time.

The Powercab will do what you want without any boosters required. You can also find decent locos with DCC but without sound at competitive prices. At Trainfest last weekend I found Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0's with DCC installed for $95.00 ready to run. MicroMark sells locos pretty cheap too. You can do DCC on a budget. You just have to shop carefully. I have sound in some locos but by no means in all of them, and if I want sound I usually buy the DC version of a loco and add the sound later as the budget permits! By the time you do two power packs and the block wiring on a typical layout, you will probably find that an equivalent DCC setup will cost you about the same. Basic DCC decoders without sound can be had for less than $20.00 each. If you intend to switch over at some point, why not just start out with DCC, and avoid spending money on stuff you'll end up selling later for 30 cents on the dollar? Just sayin...

Thanks for the tips. I did do some looking last night and I can get the NCE Power Cab starter kit for around 130$ However I like Athearn locos and all I can find are ones over a hundred. How are the Bachmacc locos that are DCC equip? And if I can find Athearn at a decent price, as well as any of them, do they come with a decoder or do I need to buy decoders for each loco?

Also, with DCC, if I wanted a turntable, how hard would it be to wire it and each of the stall tracks (no more than 3) in to the DCC system?

Adding a hard wired decoder to an athearn is easy even if it's not dcc ready. Decoders themselves without sound are $15. Takes me about 10 mins to wire one in.

I have 2 dcc on board bachmanns that I have had no problems with and another 5 bachmann Thomas trains I added decoders too and they all work well too. Don't know about the turntable but will find out soon since I have one but haven't installed it yet.

Thanks CDouglas. At least I have options to look at. I was actually turned away from DCC when I was seeing how much the systems cost as well as having to buy dcc equipped locos. Though from what I have found out the NCE Power Cab is a nice system and does not cost what I thought it would, and to hear that decoders can be wired into DC locos is a good thing. I have a Proto 2K SW9/1200 that is dc, so when I get up and running I can have it wired for dcc.

Personally I think you'd be mad to not start up with DCC, unless you only ever want to run a single train around a simple loop. I got three brand new Athearn N EMD F45s a month or so back for just under $80 each. The decoders were about $25 each and plugged right in. If you're buying trains that are still new in box but a year or so old they'll be cheaper again. Ebay always has some great stuff on there, and that's on my Australia version. The American one should have even more. If you're actually modelling N I'm selling two BNSF Dash 8s on Ebay right now. ;)

Many of the engines made today are DCC ready and for many there is a decoder that just plugs in whereas you must solder the decoder wires.
Check the decoder manufactures to see if they have a plug in decoder for the engine you are thinking of buying. Here is a link to Digitrax (their decoders will work with the NCE DCC system). http://www.digitrax.com/

As to the turn-table: The simplest solution with DCC is to put the turn-table rails on a "auto-reversing" module. This will detect the short then switch the track polarity very quickly and without any action from you.
http://www.digitrax.com/menu_powerman.php

I use Digitrax DCC system (Zephyr and UT2) but NCE and others also make mobile decoders, auto-reverse modules, etc.

TrinityJay, I do think that I will go with DCC. Been thinking about it and it makes since to start with a DCC system. Though I am still quite aways from running trains..lol. thanks for all the tips and help.

Back