Search results

1. T

Seniority Roster! How long have you been a member here?

November 2021 is when I joined. Maybe a few days after @Smudge617 joined.
  2. T

Steam or Diesel Locomotives?

Running diesel myself. Prefer GP 38’s up to 60’s. Have Dash 8 40B’s. Always liked 4 axle units.
  3. T

Rust never sleeps…

Light weathering would be my suggestion. To me it would show that the scrap business is doing better and could get a nicer loader. Maybe consider purchasing a second one to have as a spare which could be “really beat up”.
  4. T

Chessie locomotives

A quick google search shows black trucks and tanks.
  5. T

N Scale DC Power Supply

MRC is my go to transformer. I have a Tech II Railpower 2400. Runs 2 engines with no problem. One is listed on eBay now for around $30. I personally would buy one at a train show so you can get it tested before purchasing. If the seller won’t let you, walk away.
  6. T

for something different. here is a train. and work bench doing

All my locos are Atlas. I have the 2 high hoods, 3 GP 38-2, 2 Dash 8-40B NS and 3 Dash 8-40B Susquehanna.
  7. T

I have a B23-7 and a GP 40 high hoods NS paint in N scale.
  8. T

Love the pic of 3229. Always loved the high hood units even though the visibility is poor.
  9. T

Decisions to Make

A sense of humor always helps! There’s too much negativity so we have to find the goodness.
  10. T

If you were to work for a railroad, which one would it be and what position?

I would be happy being a conductor riding in a caboose on the NYSW. Wouldn’t do it for long, a month or so but long enough to be able to say I did it.
  11. T

New N-Scale Layout — Need suggestions / Advice

2 inches is 26.8 scale feet. 3 inches is 40.2 scale feet. You just have to allow for a gentle transition between the two heights. Hopefully someone with better experience on this chimes in…my layout is flat.
  12. T

How high is the upper level from the lower level?
  13. T

I would use the area around the pipes as a industrial area. Suggest keeping that double tracked to keep the mainline open. Otherwise I would go single track with passing sidings and the occasional RIP siding. The real railroad is looking to keep costs down and the less track to maintain saves...
  14. T

Do you have full access around where the pipes are or is it limited?
  15. T

From this to that? NS 8808?

The way I see it, that’s the easiest way. Center the cab on the truck. Put a generator off one of the axles along with solar panels for climate control. Air lines for horn. Take up less space than a conventional caboose. I’m sure the conductors would like it as they don’t have to ride exposed...
  16. T

From this to that? NS 8808?

I wonder if that would spark the next transfer caboose design idea…
  17. T

Haven't done this for years!

I have the book above. Started reading it when I was 8 years old. My father passed it down to me when he downsized his book collection. Hopefully I can do the same thing to one of my sons. My favorite picture is “Malfunction Junction”.
  18. T

Pre-weathered Kato GP 35 What do I do with it now

Suggesting LTEX which is Larry’s Truck and Equipment. Have seen many of the BN locomotives patched out with his reporting marks on Virtual Railfan. Many YouTube videos have been made peeking into his facility.
  19. T

Passenger car identification help please

While I was in elementary school, we took a class trip from Norwich to Sangerfield on the Susquehanna. I found the locomotive and 2 out of 3 passenger cars. The third one draws a blank for me. It had 2 plush swivel chairs in their own separate compartment. I haven’t found it yet online. Have...
  20. T

reducing rolling stocks

I prefer branchline to mainline modeling. I do have 2 Dash 8-40C’s for mainline drop offs and pick ups. But I run Dash 8-40B’s and GP 38’s as primary locomotives. No intermodal or auto racks. I try to keep as close to 60 feet maximum length. I do run a caboose sometimes. Brings me back to...

Back