New N-Scale Layout — Need suggestions / Advice

AdamSenior

Firstly, thanks for having me — Let's jump right into this. I'm 38 and reignited my passion for the hobby when my new home has the space to do so. The lure of the hobby and my willingness to get started had me dive right in. I basically recreated the layout my dad built for me, just 3 times the size — with some extra bits here and there.
IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1515.jpg

Since these photos have been taken — my dad and I (when he visits from England) have installed a backdrop and automated all of the points. I can provide a photo, yet my staging area is located at the back. This is how I did it back in the day, yet I've been using an external monitor to see what's behind there and I get frustrated with a derailment. What I love doing is running long trains — while also having the ability to explore some industry.

This brings me to where I am now — I'm at a spot where I'm struggling to invest more time into the layout as I feel like I've out grown it. It's served its purpose and I'm so thankful I took the leap and just started building.

Now — I'm actually in a spot where I can think about the space a little more and in turn create something that 1 — I get to model and go for that realism. I do love modeling and I want to be able to create images similar to the second option. What I am missing, is a place to have my locos on display, to shunt/move — I love the idea of a port/industry to have everything located. The ability to have a single? Possibly a twin line running through the hills, a station + industries. What I do know is that I want something realistic — I've thought about it — and I'd rather have something functional, yet not see me able to have everything on display. Yet if I can find a way or have a large yard/port — I could most likely tick both of the boxes — while not hiding half my layout.

I have the space to do something much bigger — yet I am trying to be mindful of the wife's space and I don't want to push things too much :D

Below you'll see a quick mockup of the area I'm thinking of working with. The white space is several pipes that I don't want to mess with. Yet it could serve as a simple way to run a train through a mountain and out the other side. This is honestly the only place I want to have something away from reach. I could technically omit that part, but I think it will help to free up the space a little more. I also think that the section on the right / I currently used for a scenic loop — I could technically flip this and have the scenic approach on the left and keep the industry/yard on the right — as I do have the ability to go 11/12ft outwards. Technically this 12ft/11ft — I could do a 12/12 L pretty much.

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 1.41.58 PM.png

My dad will be visiting in September — and I'd love to get laying something when he's here, so my first step is to actually build a base for this thing. So, I'm not in a massive rush in regards to the design — but I would really appreciate anything feedback/suggestions.

Nothing is locked in at all — Although I do have plenty of Kato track and would love to stick to that.

Please share your thoughts/suggestions. Possibly you've got a similar space and are willing to share your space.

Doodle/concepts below for the staging area? Just a start.

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 2.34.32 PM.png

Welcome aboard!
Not being in a rush is a good thing for sure as is knowing what you’re aiming for.
Thats a nice size space for a layout, I'm mainly HO but started a small ( 30” X 120”) N scale layout with Kato track.
It's been on hold for a bit while I’m dealing with other things but is due for an update soon.
We’ll be watching!

I would use the area around the pipes as a industrial area. Suggest keeping that double tracked to keep the mainline open. Otherwise I would go single track with passing sidings and the occasional RIP siding. The real railroad is looking to keep costs down and the less track to maintain saves time and money.

Appreciate your input — Been looking at flipping things and possibly making the larger section on the right at the base a dock/shipping yard. While still keeping a single run high up in the cliff face — I will keep everyone updated!

Been trying to figure out a way to have a higher level for running long trains — then a lower level/city/town with a port?

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 10.39.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 10.39.26 AM.png

It's as high/low as needed — still figuring things out — I would think visually 2/3 inches would be great. Guess it all depends on the configuration of the layout. I'm still planning and looking for advice.

2 inches is 26.8 scale feet. 3 inches is 40.2 scale feet. You just have to allow for a gentle transition between the two heights. Hopefully someone with better experience on this chimes in…my layout is flat.

Back