Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

EJ&E BALDWN GRIFFITH IN_1965.jpg

Elgin Joliet & Eastern. Griffith IN, 1965

Welp, it started off being a good morning. Other than the tinnitus.

then I twisted my back wrong getting out of the shower.

And proceeded to drop one end of my towel into the toilet.

At least I have a towel, thanks to the advice of Ford Prefect. I'll be trying to avoid Vogon poetry while washing the towel later. First, an ice pack.

I could really use a Pan Galactic Gargleblaster about now

Swal - Even though I am a lover of warmer weather, I don't always consider 35° too cold to work outside, unless the wind is biting.
Willie you're a better man then me. I can't take the cold anymore. I usually go work side to work in my bathing suit to get ready for my Myrtle Beach golf & beach trip. So, I don't look out of place on the beach. Finally, the last 32 degrees morning was yesterday. It looks like warm weather from now on. Thank God.
Swal

Willie Off on a fortnights cruise in the Mediterranean Sea. Spain, France and Italy. Hopefully the sun will be there.
David sounds good getting out of town for a few days. I see these type trips on that show where you come on down that my wife watching. There like $10,000,00.
I made that trip on a Nave ship in 1966 for nothing. Spain by far was the best. We stopped in every port for 2 weeks all around the Med but we also dropped in on the Sahara Desert for 10 days which was no fun at all.
Swal

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 71°, only supposed to reach 79° again today due to the clouds. There is a wind advisory today, which will help with the humidity level of 90%, at least the sweat will evaporate faster. Thundershowers yesterday never materialized here, although I saw some on the radar south of here in the Dallas area. Supposedly they will return after sunset today and last until noon tomorrow. Tornado warnings north of here.

Yesterday in the morning after household tasks, I manned the weedeater around the house, pool and nearby trees. After lunch I did the same around the train shed and garden. I hate using that damn thing, but is a necessary evil around here. Then I sat down and wound the two spools with fresh cutting string. I have already been out this morning picking the last two large heads of Broccoli, now the surge of small florets that have already started.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I spent a glorious 2 1/2 hours doing nothing but listening to music and running trains. OK, I may have also had a cold brew or two. Very, very pleased that I had no derailments or other incidents the whole time. But it is still a little disappointing that I have areas with no landscaping yet. I am however, narrowing down what I am going to attack next. My initial goal was to be 75% complete at the beginning of 2024, I am maybe at 65% right now, excluding the part that I haven't made any decisions on. The main line and passing sidings are complete throughout the whole area though.
Once again, pictures from the archive. Here are a few Hydrocal structures from Downtown Deco.
05-02-18 016.JPG

05-02-18 015 (2).JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

Mike - I meant to comment yesterday regarding the woodworker and his video of the locomotive. Thanks for posting. I actually watched that one all of the way through.
Hughie - I hate new appliances. All of those unneeded gizmos just add to the cost and complexity of what used to be a simple machine. My wife hates the fact that I just keep fixing our 30 year old side by side fridge/freezer, as she just wants a new one so badly. I did break down and get a new washing machine a few years ago, since I could no longer get the parts needed to fix the old one. Same with the dishwasher, but the dryer and range are also both over 25 years old. She just doesn't believe what two different appliance repairmen told her about the planned obsolescence of newer models. But both of my daughters are regularly replacing various appliances.
Patrick - I'd go for paying off the mortgage. When we bought, I opted for a 15 year one and we sacrificed sometimes to make ends meet. But I am glad that we made the final payment in January 1995. But then all of the money went for paying college tuition for all three kids. But that was worth it, as they all moved out on their own and none of the three returned home!
Troy - Definitely go back for adjustments on the new ears. Mine came from Sam's Club and the audiologist worked wonders with them after I got used to them and could identify what I wanted done.
Karl - 9 more vacation days! At the rate that you're going, you could totally remodel the house and re-landscape the yard. Or, you could just work on trains.

Everyone have a great Saturday and a wonderful productive weekend.

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. It is 63f degrees now heading into the mid 70’s but the all day rain is off the guessers map. We didn’t yesterday get the severe rain in our area and the chances of rain today are all below 35% till 3pm when the chance goes up to 38% and climbs from there every hour. Even last night the TV weather guessing guy said we would have rain all night and all day today into Monday. Wrong they are again! The 3-5” of rain missed us and since 6pm last night, .25” in the manual weather gauge.

Today and tomorrow for me is planned! Today, I’ll be finishing a few June commission weathering projects! Then tomorrow morning I will watch the grandson play soccer and Sunday afternoon packaging up what little remains in my shop here. All my May weathering commissions are completed, packaged up and labeled. The daughter will handle shipping while I’m away starting 5/7!

enjoy the day

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. It is 63f degrees now heading into the mid 70’s but the all day rain is off the guessers map. We didn’t yesterday get the severe rain in our area and the chances of rain today are all below 35% till 3pm when the chance goes up to 38% and climbs from there every hour. Even last night the TV weather guessing guy said we would have rain all night and all day today into Monday. Wrong they are again! The 3-5” of rain missed us and since 6pm last night, .25” in the manual weather gauge.

Today and tomorrow for me is planned! Today, I’ll be finishing a few June commission weathering projects! Then tomorrow morning I will watch the grandson play soccer and Sunday afternoon packaging up what little remains in my shop here. All my May weathering commissions are completed, packaged up and labeled. The daughter will handle shipping while I’m away starting 5/7!

enjoy the day
No Golf?

Evening all,

Closet trim bought, stained and getting laquer as I type. Hopefully cutting the pieces and nailing tomorrow. Only takes about 15 minutes between coats. usually takes 4 coats to seal the oak, using 4 ought (0000) steel wool between coats to make it smooth. It's a closet that a previous owner finished and either ran out of time or money. Still about $75 in materials as I needed the trim and had run out of laquer. The stain for some reason, I had a 4 oz can of stain I finished off when I did the stuff for the kitchen, and a quart that had been used as well. So I had plenty of stain.

Wife thinks we need to do the carpet next instead of the tub to shower conversion in case we need to sell to move to a one level easier access home in the future. Figures, since we almost have it paid off. We are in a position to write a check at anytime to finish paying it off. So we'll see where that goes. I have the flooring stored for the master bath, just need to have it installed.

Time for another coat of laquer.
Patrick! For what it’s worth if you had asked me in January if a mortgage should be paid off, I was in the minority by saying no, unless it was a high interest rate. But, today, I’d take the money and pay it off.

All political reasons for my change of heart and I won’t put those reasons here. Terry and I since January have gone to a pay it off now and I have convinced the kids, because I worry about the future

There will be Golf!

Golf starts May 8th in Scottsdale for 3 days
May 15th for 3 days in Vegas
May 22nd for 2 days on Kiawah Island and then home for 2 weeks.

NYC GEORGE, I have to make up for the golf I missed in February, March and April because I wrecked my knee in early February. I have played outside after the doctor’s clearance in April here in Wisconsin, just 54 holes though. I’m ready for some heat, golf and making some spending money!

There will be Golf!

Golf starts May 8th in Scottsdale for 3 days
May 15th for 3 days in Vegas
May 22nd for 2 days on Kiawah Island and then home for 2 weeks.

NYC GEORGE, I have to make up for the golf I missed in February, March and April because I wrecked my knee in early February. I have played outside after the doctor’s clearance in April here in Wisconsin, just 54 holes though. I’m ready for some heat, golf and making some spending money!
Tom yesterday I hit the 2nd and 17th green which resulted in winning all 4 greens $40.00. Took a 6 on the 18th 455 yard par 4 which cost me the low stroke bet. Only needed a 5 to tie 4 to win it. No golf for me today have to mow the lawn.
Swal

Good Morning All!
49F @ 81% and overcast. To be 70F later.

Went to Kal yesterday as Maria had a dental appt. We looked at getting her implants. Geesh, $42K out the door for something that is only guaranteed for 10 years. Sure the implants ( 4 top, 4 bottom ) are probably good to go for longer than that, but $5K every 10 years(ish) for upper and lower arches seems a bit high. There are also nylon ..um.. bushings for each implant that need replaced every once in awhile which adds to the after the sale price. There was another option presented - 2 implants on the lower jaw with same arches - $10K, same guarantee. So has anybody done this ( either one )? If so, thoughts?

Note that the doc and staff are very good salesmen and had all the objections covered which to some would make it a no-brainer. Not us! These folks do everything in their office; extractions, drilling and inserting along with building the arches which are a st00pid 3D print, and supply all the stuff needed; water pic, cleaning stuff .... etc. The second option above according to the Doc is needed as your mouth/jaw/nasal passages shrink when teeth are removed. The upper arch is not as much as a problem as the lower arch; hence the implants instead of just dentures. There could be a VA program that will help with the cost but have not found out about that yet.

Wanted to head for Livingston for the show but can't as a friend's SO is getting out of the hospital sometime today and he has to work. So we will be headed the other direction to Spo to pick her up. She is a double heart transplant patient (6 and 4 years ago ) and got there via being dehydrated from some flu bug. Doc in Libby stopped one of her transplant drugs for reasons unknown and her kidneys failed. She got a helicopter flight from Libby as they wanted her there NOW.

I did get wanted plywood in Kal and Maria got more painting stuff. Now to squeek some train time in between my HoneyDu list.

Later

Howdy all, it's 72 here in NW Indiana and feels like 78 according to my weather station that is. It's windy outside and it feels less than 70 to me. Joan is at a craft show (she's a vendor) and this will be her last one for quite sometime. I will be taking her to South Bend Tuesday morning for a knee replacement, so it looks like I will be in charge for a while...bad thing is: I have never cooked a whole meal by myself...mother, USAF and two wives (not at the same time) have done all the cooking. Joan usually has a BLT in the morning; but it looks like she will be getting Capt. Crunch. Not being mean; but I don't know how to make a egg (of any kind). May 8th will be our 43rd anniversary (18 years with first wife) and hopefully she will be able to go out to dinner by then...I'll miss her if she is unable to go

Howdy all, it's 72 here in NW Indiana and feels like 78 according to my weather station that is. It's windy outside and it feels less than 70 to me. Joan is at a craft show (she's a vendor) and this will be her last one for quite sometime. I will be taking her to South Bend Tuesday morning for a knee replacement, so it looks like I will be in charge for a while...bad thing is: I have never cooked a whole meal by myself...mother, USAF and two wives (not at the same time) have done all the cooking. Joan usually has a BLT in the morning; but it looks like she will be getting Capt. Crunch. Not being mean; but I don't know how to make a egg (of any kind). May 8th will be our 43rd anniversary (18 years with first wife) and hopefully she will be able to go out to dinner by then...I'll miss her if she is unable to go
Most eateries will make it to go for you. Some might even deliver based on where you are.

If you're on the Elkhart side of South Bend, just order a bunch of Volcano Pizzas. Tell her I said they're yummy and good for getting you moving. They make good leftovers.

Good luck, and best wishes to Joan for a speedy recovery, and an iron stomach for her diet the next few weeks. ;)

For the golfers in the group. I bought 1 dozen Titleist's ProV1X & 1 dozen Bridgestone RXS golf balls yesterday. I played with the ProV1X the first nine and the Bridgestone the second. The ProV1X is the hardest Titleist ball and will go the farthest weather you swing speed is 105 or 85. It's a very hard ball. I found the Bridgestone RXS that's geared for an 85 MPH swing speed will go just as far but is a much softer ball. When your all most 80 years old your swing speed is more around 75 or 85 MPH. Now I have 12 new Titleist's to sell or give to one of my friends.
Swal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back